Brake Recall Pedal Position Headache

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jim1fun1
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Brake Recall Pedal Position Headache

Postby jim1fun1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:15 am

Well, got my recall notice and took it to a local dealer. He said it takes them way longer to do it than Honda gives them and it did. Got the bike back but the rear pedal felt different. Finally figured out that the pedal height had changed. It used to be even with the top of my foot peg. Now it's about an inch below. So I contact the dealer and he says that they adjusted it to factory spec. Called Honda, they check with the dealer and give me the same spiel. They also send me the factory spec to prove it. I don't doubt that they installed the master cylinder and bled it correctly but the pedal isn't right. I'm going by the picture on my owner's manual that shows it even with the top of the foot peg. So, I try to adjust it myself. Seems the foot peg has to come off to remove the brake pedal and of course my one steel bolt is corrosion welded into the aluminum frame. Now I know why it takes so long and why mine isn't adjusted properly. The dealer couldn't get the bolt out either so they just disconnected the clevis behind the frame and removed the master cylinder that way. Then they make an approximate adjustment and bolt it back on. So now, thanks to the usual corporate mentality the consumer is left holding the proverbial bag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this da^%ed bolt out. I tried my impact tool that I used to use on phillips screws but so far everything I've tried is trying to strip out the inside of the bolt. Being aluminum and near a painted surface I don't want to use heat. The other bolt will move but the front one won't budge.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Brake Recall Pedal Position Headache

Postby themainviking » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:34 am

A suggestion might be to get one of the larger bolt on foot plates from Kuryakyn that are for raising the brake pedal height, and even width. They come in a slightly larger than stock size and a wide size that is about four inches wide. They bolt on over the brake pedal.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jim1fun1

Postby jim1fun1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind. Would rather just have the factory pedal in the proper position but if all else fails that would remedy my problem.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Postby cihilb » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 am

You can apply heat to the bolt only. A large soldering gun may heat it enough to break it loose.
You could try to hammer a torx bit into the stripped hole and then use the impact. These bolts are soft and the hex rounds out easily.
Last resort would be to drill the head off the bolt and the soak it in penetrating oil. Grab the rest of the bolt with vice grips.

It sounds as though the brake pedal was put back on one spline off. There should be an index mark on the shaft that aligns with the split in the brake pedal.
Sounds like the tech did not align the pedal correctly.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:16 am

Copy a few pics off the I-net of the brake pedal in it's proper location.
Return to the dealer with these pics.
If you get no satisfaction from the service manager, seek out the owner.
Still no luck, get an appointment to meet the factory rep at the dealership.

jim1fun1

Postby jim1fun1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. The heat to the bolt head has me wondering because metal expands when heated. If I could chill it that might make the bolt pull away from the aluminum frame. I did try hammering my impact tool but it was stripping out the bolt head. I might try giving the bolt head a few good direct raps. Sometimes that loosens rusted bolts. Drilling out the bolt head will be my last resort. As for going to the dealer. Since I already went to Honda and they said the work was done as per the manual I doubt I'll do anything but put a lot of mileage on my vehicles running back and forth to the dealer. The dealer I originally bought the bike from dropped their Honda line, so I'm dealing with a guy who hasn't made a dime off of me. Obviously he won't make any now.....

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Postby salty1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Nobody has mentioned using penetrating oil to loosen the crud that I recall. PB BLASTER is pretty good stuff

jim1fun1

Postby jim1fun1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:24 pm

I plan on trying the blaster but after being a mechanic for 26 years at a local utility, steel in aluminum corrosion always was almost impossible to break loose. If nothing else it would strip out the aluminum component. I'm sure there is some kind of chemical combination out there that works but I've never found it..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:00 pm

First make sure that the brake pedal itself is aligned correctly on the shaft - the break in the pedal should align with the dimple on the shaft, as shown:

Brake Pedal Alignment
Brake Pedal Alignment

Here's a picture (also from the 2008 Honda Service Manual) that shows the correct height of the brake pedal:

Brake Pedal Height
Brake Pedal Height

Unlike older Goldwings, where the service manual described the exact height the brake pedal was to be set to, instead the GL1800 service manual specifies the distance from the center of the lower mounting hole of the master cylinder to the center of the joint pin hole:

Rear Master Cylinder Adjustment
Rear Master Cylinder Adjustment

If that's out of spec, I'd have a talk with the service department that did the work.

jim1fun1

Postby jim1fun1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks so much to everyone. The pictures were a big help, especially the one showing the brake pedal even with the top of the foot peg. Mine is at least an inch lower. I will check the specs provided. One or both are wrong but weren't before it went in for the recall since my brakes worked fine and my pedal height was as shown in your picture. I'm hoping I can remove the clevis and the master cylinder without draining the system. At least enough to check the spec and readjust if necessary.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”