When tuning the radio it will only tune in on odd numbers and not on even numbers.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
cooldes
Motorcycle: HONDA GL1800 A-7 Goldwing

When tuning the radio it will only tune in on odd numbers and not on even numbers.

Postby cooldes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:29 am

Hi Fellow Gold wingers.........

i have just got myself a 2007 1800 model afters years riding smaller bikes, i picked up the Goldwing yesterday , such a great bike just need to get used to the weight of it
When tuning the radio it will only tune in on odd numbers and not on even numbers which is a pain because some of the channels i love to listen to are even numbers
does anybody know how to fix this

thank you guys for your help in advance.... PS: looking forward to being part of this site

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: When tuning the radio it will only tune in on odd numbers and not on even numbers.

Postby joeincalif » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:42 am

FM stations all end with odd numbers such as 95.!, 98.5, 101.1 etc. But check to see if your A.SEL button is not on 101.1
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

cooldes

Re: When tuning the radio it will only tune in on odd numbers and not on even numbers.

Postby cooldes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:04 am

Didnt know about the FM Stations......Where is the A.SEL Button

thanks ...

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:25 am

This is the problem with an American bike in England. In the USA all FM stations are on odd numbered frequencies, but in the UK they are not, I do not know of any fix, I believe you have to change the radio, but I don't know of another one that will fit in and connect up to all the handlebar controls. I ended up fitting a GPS, connecting it to the aux channel and putting lots of music on the GPS so that I can listen to that instead of the radio. My gps also has blue tooth so it links to my phone if someone calls me and I can use it for navigation when required. I think you just have to live with the radio limitation, but maybe someone else on here knows a solution

Gary

cooldes

Postby cooldes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:34 am

thrasherg wrote:This is the problem with an American bike in England. In the USA all FM stations are on odd numbered frequencies, but in the UK they are not, I do not know of any fix, I believe you have to change the radio, but I don't know of another one that will fit in and connect up to all the handlebar controls. I ended up fitting a GPS, connecting it to the aux channel and putting lots of music on the GPS so that I can listen to that instead of the radio. My gps also has blue tooth so it links to my phone if someone calls me and I can use it for navigation when required. I think you just have to live with the radio limitation, but maybe someone else on here knows a solution

Gary

Mmmm....oh so that's why...thank you for letting me know, just looked at my paper work and it was imported from American, i hope i can fix it if not i may have to do what you did..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:10 pm

cooldes wrote:
thrasherg wrote:This is the problem with an American bike in England. In the USA all FM stations are on odd numbered frequencies, but in the UK they are not, I do not know of any fix, I believe you have to change the radio, but I don't know of another one that will fit in and connect up to all the handlebar controls. I ended up fitting a GPS, connecting it to the aux channel and putting lots of music on the GPS so that I can listen to that instead of the radio. My gps also has blue tooth so it links to my phone if someone calls me and I can use it for navigation when required. I think you just have to live with the radio limitation, but maybe someone else on here knows a solution

Gary

Mmmm....oh so that's why...thank you for letting me know, just looked at my paper work and it was imported from American, i hope i can fix it if not i may have to do what you did..

I highly doubt they are manufacturing a completely separate radio for the different markets, just to have it tune different frequencies like this.

Either it is a programming change (I suspect not likely, as the programming is more likely to burned in EPROM rather than EEPROM, and therefore hard-coded at the factory), or it is a jumper or solder pad on the circuit board. This is the normal way to configure such things - a jumper that is moved from one set of pins to another, or present in one market and absent in another, or a set of pads on the circuit board that is either soldered together or not. If you can find either of these on the board (they may or may not be marked), then you might be able to switch it from one to the other.

Solder jumpers:

Solder Jumpers
Solder Jumpers

Jumper pins:

Jumper Pins
Jumper Pins

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:16 pm

I would try and find someone with a UK model wing and see if there radio tunes in odd and even frequencies. If it does, then you can either start looking for links inside your radio, or buy a UK radio from a breakers and just replace your radio. Probably the easiest solution, but I would check with someone that the UK spec does have a radio that tunes differently to yours before spending any money.

Gary

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:31 am

Contact LarryM at WINGCONNECT.COM as Larry is the Goldwing Guru of Radios. His business is repairing the Goldwing GL1800 radios and he knows a thing or two.

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”