Looking for advice, plugs & brake pads

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
BrianRich
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Looking for advice, plugs & brake pads

Postby BrianRich » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:51 pm

I've got a 2012 GL1800 with not quite 100,000 miles and I figure it is probably a pretty good idea to change the spark plugs, and am looking for advice from fellow GoldwingDocs members on which types they've installed, and pros and cons. I also am at the stage for another change of brake pads, up to now I've been sticking with the stock Honda OEM pads, but I'd like to find out what other members have tried out and liked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Looking for advice, plugs & brake pads

Postby MikeB » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Stock Spark plugs - NGK BKR6E-11. If the stock plugs served you for 100,000 miles, replace with the same manufacturer and number.

OEM brake pads are the way to go.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 am

#1.... IF you don't like brake pad changing, I agree OEM.

IF you don't mind, I find the Kevlars pads are fairly good, 90% of OEM stopping power. Least amount of dusting of other pads, except metallic mix's but they eat expensive rotors.
EBC too much dust.
I never tried ceramics. To me, anything that's harder then the rotor, I won't use.
Organic? ONLY if you don't ride in the rain. Besides, they dust a fair amount.

Spark Plugs, IF you got the money, the Plutonium... no Iridium plugs. :) Mine are still good at 140+K and never needed adjustment. I also OHM test to be sure.
But if you got 100K, no need to spend more $$$ on Iridium.
Last edited by FM-USA on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 am

That is a pretty good advertisement for the stock spark plugs alright. I switched to Iridium plugs really early on, but maybe I should switch back, :lol:

+1 on what Mike B said about the OEM brake pads. Your rotors will last longer.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

BrianRich

Postby BrianRich » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks for the replies and info. I was not clear in my initial post, which has confused the issue with some, and for that I apologize. At 43,000 miles I replaced the stock spark plugs with Denso Iridium spark plugs. I am a geek with the computer and maintain a complete and comprehensive record using and Excel spreadsheet, for all maintenance and also every time I fill up the gas tank, calculating the mpg for that tankful was well as an overall mpg calculating the total odometer reading with the total of all the gallons of gas, and recently my mileage has started declining, which in the past, with our other bikes, as well as our cars, has usually indicated "time for a tune-up", with at least a new set of spark plugs. I replaced the brake pads at 34,000 and again at 65,000, both times with OEM, and I have heard about some of the alternatives, but I appreciate the comments about sticking with the OEM. Just wish buying them from Honda wasn't so expensive, oh well, our lives depend on good brakes, so I guess the extra cost for good quality is worth it! Again thanks for the comments.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:36 am

FM-USA wrote:#1.... IF you don't like brake pad changing, I agree OEM.

IF you don't mind, I find the Kevlars pads are fairly good, 90% of OEM stopping power. Least amount of dusting of other pads, except metallic mix's but they eat expensive rotors.
EBC too much dust.
I never tried ceramics. To me, anything that's harder then the rotor, I won't use.
Organic? ONLY if you don't ride in the rain. Besides, they dust a fair amount.

Spark Plugs, IF you got the money, the Plutonium... no Iridium plugs. :) Mine are still good at 140+K and never needed adjustment. I also OHM test to be sure.
But if you got 100K, no need to spend more $$$ on Iridium.

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Tend to agree with most on plugs . Stock ; and the right heat range is better . Tried the iridium plugs out here in the desert , and found they made my motor run about 10-15% hotter . Now that's okay in the winter . Summer temps for most of the rest of you folks , but not so much when the thermometer is pushin 115 and higher .

I've found Ferodo pads to be a very excellent pad over the years , but I stay away from the semi-metallic , or anything that can damage those rotors , too . You can buy lots of pads for what a set of rotors cost . Changing pads is a annoyance ; but changing rotors is a pain in the ass . Time consuming and labor intensive . Expensive if you can't do the job yourself .

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Agree totally on the use of stock plugs and brakepads. You may find the plugs cheaper at NAPA.

For the Pads, check around between CycleMax, Wingstuff, Chrome World and Honda Direct Line. All sell the stock pads but frequently each has a sale and you can pick up a set of all pads for a good price. Probably any of those are cheaper than local dealer so you might take him a list of their prices and see if he can match them. I kno0w HDL has the set of front pads for 43.89 or a little over 20.00 per side.

Most online sellers offer free shipping especially if the order is over !00.00.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

BrianRich

Postby BrianRich » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for all the good advice, it is appreciated. I took the advice on the brake pads and stuck with the stock Honda pads, but I picked them up from Niehaus at the Ohio Rally, for a rally discounted price, so it wasn't quite as bad as from the dealer.
As for the plugs, I put a set of Denso Iridium plugs in about 60K miles ago (I understand the comment about the heat, but we live in TN, and thank goodness we very rarely have temps in the 100s), I have NOT taken the time and effort to pull them for inspection yet (I have highway pegs mounted on the case savers and you have to take those off to take the "valve covers" off to get at the plugs, and it is a PAIN to get them back on - they are the Mick-O-Pegs, which I love but getting that spring loaded just right to properly lift the pegs when you take your foot off can be a hassle), I may bite the bullet and do it soon, but I am thinking that I MAY need new plugs because my gas mileage has definitely gone down the last couple of months. I am a geek and keep an Excel spreadsheet of every tank-full and calculate the gas mileage for the previous tank-full, and it has gone down from an average of around 38mpg (we do a lot of traveling to rallies, pulling a loaded trailer and us being two up, so it is not as good as would be expected for a 2012, but if it was just the two of us on a leisurely ride for a day, we HAVE gotten up to close to 50mpg) to around 32mpg. If anyone has an idea of what else could be causing the sudden drop in gas mileage, information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for the support.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm not UP on the 1800's, this will be generic.
You said geek on stuff so I'll not mention the obvious.

As tires wear in highway use they become flat on the tread thus more friction.
Ethanol slowly crud's up the fuel system, use SeaFoam on several tank fulls.
As we get comfy, speeds goes a weeee bit higher. Magic number ~2850Rpms.
Dragging brakes? Foot on brake pedal?
More STUFF in the saddlebags?
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

BrianRich

Postby BrianRich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:02 am

Good thoughts on possible reasons. I mounted new tires a couple tank-fulls ago, no improvement. I use SeaFoam on a fairly regular basis (every 4 or so tank-fulls), the gas station near us has 100% so maybe every third or fourth tank-full I fill up with it, I am very watchful on the speed on the interstates and really work at keeping the rpms under 3,000 (which is 70mph on mine, so I generally set the cruise-control at around 67mph), and I keep the same stuff in the saddlebags at all times. As for the brakes, I did have the brake recall done a while back, so hopefully the brakes are not dragging, and I most certainly do not keep my foot on the brake pedal, I am very committed to using both brakes when stopping, then letting both go. I don't know whether this could be a contributing factor, but I have not had the valve clearance checked (shame on me) at the recommended intervals on our 2012. We have had a 2001, 2004, and 2009 GL1800 before this 2012 and I DID have the recommended valve clearance checked by our Honda dealers on the recommended intervals, and none of the three bikes, in over 250,000 miles ever had to have any shims added, and we now have almost 102,000 miles on our 2012, so maybe I should have the clearance checked, if they're out, MAYBE it could be effecting the way the engine is running, making it a tad less efficient. Any thoughts on that??????

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Valve clearance:
In my past of bikes, cars and trucks the only time there was a loss of power and/or MPG's was when the tappets were singing up a storm. Little ticks did almost nothing. I had both valve adjusters and bucket shims. Once the 'shims bike' was broke in, it never needed adjusting for 70K miles. (a garage fire took the bike out :cry: )

Vac lines:
You have over 100K miles but the bike is still fairly new, in relation to mine 1991@200K miles, I have yet to have any real issues with vac lines. So yours shouldn't have any issues unless it was worked on or got over heated where the rubber dried out.

HOPEFULLY someone who has 1800 knowledge will chime in now that this thread is bumped to the top.... again.
KNOCK-knock.... anyone? :)

BrianRich

Postby BrianRich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Yeah, I haven't really been concerned about the valve clearances, because of my experience with our previous GL1800s, and like you said, if they're out, they can make a whole lot of noise, and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. We're getting ready to head to the SC rally, and I plan on dumping in some SeaFoam, and filling it with 100% gas, and see what happens after, if it helps any. Maybe I'm just overly stressing on a minor issue.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:38 pm

The GL1800 valve clearance does not loosen up, they get tighter. They do not make noise as the clearances change.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:33 am

MikeB wrote:The GL1800 valve clearance does not loosen up, they get tighter. They do not make noise as the clearances change.
I agree
I've heard it said, "...a noisy valve is a happy valve". If the valve seat is worn, the valve will loose clearance and eventually will burn.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:41 am

BrianRich wrote:Yeah, I haven't really been concerned about the valve clearances, because of my experience with our previous GL1800s, and like you said, if they're out, they can make a whole lot of noise, and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. We're getting ready to head to the SC rally, and I plan on dumping in some SeaFoam, and filling it with 100% gas, and see what happens after, if it helps any. Maybe I'm just overly stressing on a minor issue.

This happens almost all the time.
With ethKRAPanol 89-Oct, 2-UP we average around 42 Mpgs. Yesterday same trip with near exactly the same weather conditions, side wind was 1-2 mph stronger, with Regular 91-Oct we averaged 50.01 Mpgs.
The best ever was last year just under 52 Mpgs. "IF" I really buckled down and attempted a MPG run, my guess would be 54-57 Mpgs.
I've read a few 1800 owners avg. around 46-ish and on really good days near 50 Mpgs. BUT more seem to avg. around 44-ish., riders throttle use depending of coarse.

BrianRich

Postby BrianRich » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks for the clarification on the noisy valves, so since they are quiet, and how I interpret the comments, maybe I SHOULD get them checked, just to be on the safe side, I've been avoiding it as it is a fairly expensive service at the dealer, and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to tackle it myself, I'd probably mess something up and it would cost more to fix my mistake! LOL. As for the second response about the mileage, I am a fairly conservative rider, I do not "hot dog", very few "fast starts" or hard accelerations, except for sometimes when getting onto the interstate. The vast majority of our riding is long-distance, multi-day trips, with 2-up and pulling a trailer, so that obviously impacts our average MPG, it had been keeping around 40'ish for the first couple years we had this 2012, but as I said, checking my Excel spreadsheet, last year's overall average was almost 38mpg, but this year's average, so far is 34mpg, and I haven't really changed the way we ride. I know that 4mpg is not a crisis, but it is something that concerns me, as I figure that it may be an indication that something isn't quite right. Maybe I'm stressing over nothing significant. But my thanks for all the advice and support.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am

I am definitely not opposed to buying aftermarket brands and I do so when I find as good or better product at a better price. But, for me, the stock pads and plugs have seemed to be best. You can find a good deal on the pads on ebay but you may have to be a little patient. One negative that I have read on the iridium plugs is that they last so long that sometimes they get fused in the bike and are hard to remove when they do wear out.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”