06 Honda Navigation

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Muleskinner
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike

06 Honda Navigation

Postby Muleskinner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I have an 06 Comfort/Navi, with the factory original Navi software & mapping data. I know the majority of you don't like the Honda navigation, however I'd rather use it for position reference, rather than having to add on a separate unit. My biggest complaint, after the limitations/hassles of programming, is that you have to always remember to turn the #$%@#@ thing on before you start to ride. My preference would be for it to always be on, as I find it easy to just disable the audio, which I hardly ever use in the first place, and toggle the view between navi and radio only when I want to check my position. I understand Honda's reasoning on disabling the right panel buttons when moving and don't want to make any changes there.

What I do want to do, and am seeking your help with, is rewiring the system to bypass the need to hit any buttons to start the unit up. My preference would be for it to start up whenever the bike is turned on. Any ideas out there on how to do this????

BTW, in case you're interested, Garmin should be releasing the newest software (version 10) and new mapping data within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully that might take care of the problems with the unit showing you riding through the middle of a lake when you're on a major roadway.

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: 06 Honda Navigation

Postby jinx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 pm

This is not a complete solution but it is a start. wire a relay across the enter button. build a timer to trip the relay 12sec. after the key is
turned to either on or acc. Now when you get to the bike turn the key to acc while you are putting your gear on. When you stop for gas
remove the key open the gas cap door the put the key back in the ign. and turn to acc.

This works as long as the nav screen was on when you turned the bike off. Again this is not a complete solution but it can be quit reliable.
To make this even more reliable you would need to wire two more relays and timers. one to the map button and one to momentarily open the speed sense line to the nav board in the trunk.

Another approach is to wire in a timer to the nav board that keeps it powered up for a set amount of time after the bike is turned off.
The time that was used was 1.5 hrs but you can set you timer up for what ever you are comfortable with.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am

I believe this is a commercial available verion of the timer apparatus jinx is talking about:

http://www.cellset.com/navtimer.html

Grover
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800a

Postby Grover » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 am

Muleskinner wrote:
BTW, in case you're interested, Garmin should be releasing the newest software (version 10) and new mapping data within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully that might take care of the problems with the unit showing you riding through the middle of a lake when you're on a major roadway.

Don't get too excited about the version 10 update. It is CNNA v2009 which has been out for over two years and has data from April 2008. This looks like the last update available for the units that have a CF card (US 06 - 08, Canada 06 - 10).

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:06 am

No I was not talking about the Navtimer. It does not solve the problem. But if you want to run your battery down, if you want to have toremember
if the bike has been off for more than 89 mins. or you don't mind buying a new battery every couple of years to keep it working
than it is a great product.

By using a few of timers and relays you can mod the nav so it is available every time you turn the ign. on.

I never have to activate the nav on my 06. It does it automatically every time I turn on the ignition.

Sorry but after receiving too much crap from the self proclaimed experts when I ask for help on this mod
I an no longer interested in sharing the design.

I will just add that for around $20.00 it can be done and done reliably.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”