hazards come on with turn signals

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
OK Goldwing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

hazards come on with turn signals

Postby OK Goldwing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:49 pm

I can not figure this one out and would appreciate any input.
When I activate my turn signals all four flash at the same time. I found a "Diode" if you will under the seat. When I pull the diode or rather silicone rectifier the turn signals function perfectly. The marking on it is MM8, Part #31700. I ordered a new one thinking this was the problem unfortunately two new ones later it still has not fixed the problem?? Any ideas? Also would it cause other problems to run it without that diode?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: hazards come on with turn signals

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 pm

OK Goldwing wrote:I can not figure this one out and would appreciate any input.
When I activate my turn signals all four flash at the same time. I found a "Diode" if you will under the seat. When I pull the diode or rather silicone rectifier the turn signals function perfectly. The marking on it is MM8, Part #31700. I ordered a new one thinking this was the problem unfortunately two new ones later it still has not fixed the problem?? Any ideas? Also would it cause other problems to run it without that diode?

When you pull that diode, then turn on the hazard signals, do they work properly?

How about when you lock/unlock the trunk with the remote - do all the lights flash properly?

OK Goldwing

Postby OK Goldwing » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 pm

As a matter in fact NO. neither the hazards nor the remote lock light work when i pull the diode! had not even checked that but now that you mention it. Any insight?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:41 pm

OK, I've spent some time poring over this circuit diagram to try to find a failure mode that explains your symptoms.

That diode is what allows the single power feed from the hazard switch to flash both left and right signals. Flashing +12V comes from the turn signal flasher on the grey wire, through the hazard switch, and when the hazard switch is engaged, the flashing +12V travels along the purple/white wire to the diode you replaced. From there, it is fed onto both the left and right turn signal circuits, so that it flashes both left and right lights.

The purpose of the diode (it's actually two diodes in one) is to prevent backfeeding of power - so that if the left turn signal is on, it can't feed the right, and vice versa. It also can't backfeed into the purple wire.

If this diode is shorted out, you will get the symptoms you are seeing - because instead of preventing the backfeeding, it is allowing it. However, you have replaced this diode - twice - and it is still happening. That would tend to eliminate the diode as the cause.

The problem also disappears when you unplug the diode. This would tend to eliminate the connector as the problem (if the connector was shorted internally, removing the diode would not fix it).

The fact that the hazard lights and the trunk flasher stop working when the diode is removed, also points to the fact that the diode (and its connector) are working correctly.

So we need to travel farther up the circuit, along the purple/white wire. This leads us to the hazard switch itself. It is a DPST switch, with one pole connecting this purple wire to the grey flashing +12V wire when the switch is pushed in. The other pole is used to provide a ground to the flasher, to activate it.

If the first pole of the hazard switch is permanently shorted out - the one that connects the purple/white and grey wires, you will get exactly the behavior you are describing. I can't see any other condition that would cause this situation - so I am going to say with a reasonable amount of certainty that one pole of your hazard switch is shorted out - either internally (more likely), or at the connector or wire. I think if you pull the 14-pin connector that connects the hazard switch to the wiring bus, you'll find that the grey and purple/white wires are permanently shorted together.

OK Goldwing

Postby OK Goldwing » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Wow that is a lot of info.. Sure enough that fixed it!! Thank you very much, I Pulled the 14 pin connector apart and the blinkers worked. So i took it a step further and pulled the wire off the hazard switch itself that also allowed the blinkers to work properly. So I then took the switch apart cleaned all the contact points and this also worked. Only problem is the switch before and still has no spring load so if I push it I have to pull it back out with my pocket knife. I searched and searched for a new switch but apparently they don't sell just the single switch? looks to me like you have to purchase the whole panel, why I don't know, as they all could be replaced separately,
Anyway I really appreciate the info. I was stumped but your info gave me a greater insight. If I have electrical problems in the future I have a better idea of how to track down the problem. This sight is the best!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Glad I could help. You might be able to find a used switch cluster on eBay, and pull the switch out of that to put into your bike.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”