Quick question regarding insurance

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
MichaelJ07
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 with trailer

Quick question regarding insurance

Postby MichaelJ07 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Hello!

I apologize for jumping right in here without first hitting the Introduction Thread, I'll come back to that in a few days....I promise!

I currently own a Honda VTX 1300 C and love it. But, I have an opportunity to purchase a GL1800 with trailer from my same friend who sold me is personal, customized VTX. His business here is building trikes out of Goldwings. I will use the GL1800 to bust the borders of Michigan and head to other states "collecting stones" (learned that phrase from my friend) and am looking for some pointers as to what I "should" get for insurance coverage. I'm 62, excellent driving record, MSF course, home owner, etc.....

What coverage is your suggestion?

Thank you.
Again, I abjectly apologize for jumping right in here. I promise I'll come back..... :-)

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Quick question regarding insurance

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 am

First, welcome to the forum.
On insurance, I always figure as with many things, "carry as much or as little as you think that you can afford to lose".
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:48 am

first, welcome to our happy group. personally, i would get full coverage with the highest coverage on bodily and personal injury your insurance company will allow, get collision, comprehensive, fire, theft, and make sure you add emergency roadside assistance and towing.

i was glad i got the towing because for the first time in years i needed to have my bike towed home on a flat bed when i got stuck on the side of the highway and couldn't fix it. i had to pay the tow driver the money, but i took the invoice to my ins. company and they cut me a check for reimbursement.

roadside assistance is a must for anyone of us that are running a motorcycle. its a good thing to have if you get stuck and can't fix the problem on the spot.

stuart.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:and make sure you add emergency roadside assistance and towing. stuart.

I have the Rescue Plus roadside assistance and towing through the GWRRA.
I checked it against my insurance and it was cheaper and had far better coverage.
Ask the number of miles that are covered by the tow. Rescue Plus will go the first 100 free and always on a flatbed for bikes.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

MichaelJ07

Postby MichaelJ07 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

All great advice! Thanks a bunch!

I didn't find an Introduction Thread, so, I'll spew a few details about myself here.....
62-years-old, retired construction worker who builds high-end custom furniture presently and stairway baluster systems for my contractor buddies. I own a Honda VTX 1300C. Bought from my shooting buddy, Bill Rathbun, who owns "Just For Wings" business in Sandcreek, MI. I'm a young rider.....but....I ride the crap outta my VTX! About 3000 miles a month so far in Michigan. I still hit a church or school parking lot almost daily just to keep what I have learned fresh. I enjoy riding alone or in very small groups. I like slow maneuvers and believe they are one of THE most important skills to keep honed. I bought the VTX to slow my life down and that has worked very well. I am NEVER in a hurry on that machine. I am buying the GL1800 because I am finding out that the borders of my lovely state won't contain me much longer. I do have a nice little trip planned for the Upper Peninsula in about 20 days. Even if I own the Goldwing by then, I'll still ride the VTX until I become more familiar with the controls and feel of the GW.

I also shoot competitive IDPA pistol each week at Brooklyn Sportsman's Club.....home of the 2016 Michigan State IDPA Championships.....which means....I will be working my butt off for five days in mid August as a worker...which I don't mind at all. The shooters are our guests...it's our job to make them happy guests (even if they score poorly!)

So, that's a little about me. I'm sure as the months go by I'll be here as much as I am on the VTXCafe forum.
I will enjoy every revolution of my new ride......

Thanks for the help on the Insurance!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Insurance is just that, you buy a policy with certain limits and in the event you goof up and injure someone or their property, the insurance company will cover the costs up to the amount of your policy. So you have to weigh your total worth, property, stocks, cash, and possession against the policy limits. Otherwise you may wind up parting with part or all of that total worth to cover the claims.

Then there are the special coverage's like comprehensive and collision that basically cover the vehicle. Good to have but again not always worth the cost, sort of depends what you pay for the vehicle. If you don't owe anything on the vehicle and only have a couple thousand tied up in it, the special coverage's may not be worth it.

As far as Roadside assistance, I lean toward other providers instead of my insurance. Such providers are AAA, Good Sam Club, GWRRA Rescue Plus, Motorcycle Towing Service and some others. Prices vary and I suggest looking at each and its benefits and costs and comparing with your insurance.

Finally, I urge you to sit down with your insurance agent and get his evaluation of coverage. I carry the same on all of my vehicles. then if you desire you can shop the different insurance companies.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

MichaelJ07

Postby MichaelJ07 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:22 pm

harvey01, that is helpful.

I have coverage of course on the VTX from Progressive. I paid a lot of the bike, but it is worth it because the bike is set up really well. Did it all online and I guess the coverage is ok. Sometimes, I just don't plain understand all that I have covered. The GL1800 with trailer will cost me more to purchase and I'll drive the crap outta that machine as well!

So, I will take your advice and sit down with the company that covers my house and chat about coverage for the Goldwing. I know the guy pretty well and if he even thinks of giving me the runaround.....well.....let's just say his furniture I am building will just cost him a little more and take....oh maybe.....another YEAR to finish!! :-)

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”