2013 f6b final drive question/issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
lanehoward@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: Gl1800

2013 f6b final drive question/issue

Postby lanehoward@yahoo.com » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:04 pm

I am the proud new owner of a 2013 f6b. I am the 2nd owner and it has 6600 miles on it. I love the bike but have noticed a slight vibration and rumble coming from the final drive. It doesn't sound like anything is grinding but just a little rumble from inside the final drive near the rear tire. There is also a whine at higher speeds. It makes the rumble both on the center stand and out on the road. Is this normal? I checked the final drive oil and it overflowed a little when I took off the fill plug so that is not the issue. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

dadiam
Motorcycle: Current: 2006 1800 Nave/ABS

Previous:
1998 GL1500 SE
1977 GL1000
1982 Suki GSR850LT

Re: 2013 f6b final drive question/issue

Postby dadiam » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 pm

I had a rumble/vibration on my 2006 GL. I noticed the vibration while riding, but also when I looked int he right-hand rear view mirror. Timage showed a constant shake of the image in it. When I accelerated to about 70 or so the whole bike shook VERY noticeably.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be the drive shaft U-joint was going out, and allowed the shaft to turn and operate about 20 degrees past the 90 degrees of the u-joint. The sides of the U-joint were actually rubbing, causing the bad vibes.

I had that replaced, but the guy who did it (was in a hurry to leave in 2 days on a trip, or I would have done it), installed a used trike take-off drive shaft and final drive. The final drive leaked on our trip, so I replaced it with a new take-off shaft and final drive when I got home. Also found out he used the wrong shaft - they are longer in 2006 and after. Rides very smooth since - 40K+ miles.

Since your bike is fairly new, the gears might still be "breaking in". If the rumble did not happen on the center stand, I'd say it was the tire.

Try putting the bike on center stand and start and shift into 1st gear. You will be able to tell very quickly if the final drive is bad: it will rattle and make all kinds of noise.

The only to tell about the shaft, is to feel the vibes, and the shake of the right mirror.
I'd rather fly a Wing than trailer a Harley.
Harley Davidson: For those who prefer to wear a logo than ride a motorcycle.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: 2013 f6b final drive question/issue

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:08 am

If no one here can give you an answer you may want to post your questions @ http://hondaf6b.com/cmps_index.php

;)
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”