Salvaged or rebuilt title

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Jimjr
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Salvaged or rebuilt title

Postby Jimjr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Need some help. Just purchased a 2001 GL 1800 trike with 61k. Bike was salvaged in Nevada in 2001. Titled in Ky in 2002 without title saying rebuilt or salvage. Was retitled in Ga in 2006 when it was made into a motor trike kit, also being listed as a clean title. Was owned since by the owner who I brought it from. She had no idea it was a salvaged bike. Anyway, went to register in Fl where I was told it was a salvaged bike and I can't get plates until it gets inspected. Going to leave it alone and title it in ga. Now for my question: the bike pulls to the right when riding. Replaced rear shocks and still pulls. How can I tell if the frame is good and if maybe a alignment might be the problem.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: Salvaged or rebuilt title

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Well that sucks on the salvaged title BUT at least they (Fla.) said it's possible to remedy it.
#1, Welcome to GoldWingDocs.
You'll find we have some knowledgeable folks here AND some that have more roundabout suggestions. But most replies will be honest and straight forward. OH!!! and the "Well I did mine this way...." (blah-yada)... and the joke'sters.

First question before going forward, how strong is your mechanical aptitude?
Can you gas/arc weld? Got tools? And that ever allusive invisible tool, patience. :)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Jimjr

Postby Jimjr » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:30 am

Honestly, I have no mechanical ability. I have the trike at a shop right now and that's why I wanted to know if maybe it could be an alignment problem. The trike has been ridden for the past 6 years with no problem. If it isn't an alignment issue could it be something other than a frame problem. If it is a frame issue, is the trike dead in the water or is there something that can be done. To me I have a lot of money in this and hope this can be fixed without putting a lot more money into it. My wife tells me I am over reacting, I sure hope she is right

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:52 am

After re-reading your post, this caught my eye.
"Bike was salvaged in Nevada in 2001. Titled in Ky in 2002 without title saying rebuilt or salvage."
I hope it's not what I'm thinking.

So the possibilities:
__Could be as simple as a dragging right rear brake.
__As you know the early 1800 had a frame breakage problem. Could have broken again or welded wrong. Costly? Shop will answer that.
__One fork spring could be broke. I'm sure that make a noise you'd hear on bumps.
__If it's possible, string the 2 wheels on it's center stand. Best do it on both sides at the same time.

Would be nice "IF" you could find out what the reason was for it being salvaged, it narrow down where to look.

I have the same problem, ever so slight pull to the right, but I know why, forks are tweaked. I have a new set at the ready. As a temporary remedy I load the left saddlebag with "x" or if both are used, the heaver stuff.
But the right arm gets tired after a while always pushing.

Hopefully others will chime in soon. I'm sure it will get remedied.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Jimjr

Postby Jimjr » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:28 am

I must have been tired when I posted this the first time, it pulls to the left so I will just reverse what you mentioned. It looks like it was in a front end collision. When it was triked, do they put a new fork on? It's in a trike shop now, hopefully they will find something that is not the frame. I will post something when I find out any info. I thank you very much for your help and hopefully I will be riding soon.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 am

If bike was wrecked in front I'd hope the forks were replaced. Low mileage front tire wear will occur if front is incorrect. Check air pressure, a few pounds difference will cause a pull and can in the same way correct. Easy to jump a curb and move rear axle a bit, look at wheel placement in wheel openings. Could even be a swing arm bushing.

collinsa
Motorcycle: 2004 Gl1800

Postby collinsa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:12 am

Have you checked the front fork tubes
Are they correctly set in the triple tree
If one is slightly lower than the other the front wheel will not be correctly aligned with the frame of the bike

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”