Center stand no answer found on my issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Center stand no answer found on my issue

Postby cfennell1832 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 pm

I have tried 25 or more times to get my 1800 on its center stand still won't go up, even at the dealers repair shop the tech has to rock the bike forwards and backwards 3 times while he stands on the center stand bar. He is also younger than me and about 250 lbs of solid muscle. Im 60yrs 200 lbs with little muscle left on me after a medical issue.
Does the bike need to be set to 25 on the rear shocks to add a little more height? As it is i have to use a chunk of 2X8 (for those who don't know that's really 1 1/2 X 7 1/2 inches) on the rear and a chunk of 2X4 for the kick stand and then the center stand goes up with even pulling up on the seat handle. Only problem is having to carry the chunks of wood at all times.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Center stand no answer found on my issue

Postby Steve F » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Pump the suspension all the way to 25 and in neutral before you try, might help.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 pm

I fitted progressive fork springs, which firms up the front end and raises the front of the bike about an inch, I then fitted a progressive rear shock which raised the rear about an inch (maybe a bit more), it makes the bike handle much better and gives more clearance in corners (before crash bars ground out), but you need to make sure your legs are long enough to still touch the floor when riding, it also made it very easy to put on the center stand. I am 55 and weigh 180lbs (mainly fat not muscle!) and it is very easy to get it on the center stand, prior to the changes I could Not get it on the center stand, so raising the bike is definately the way to go, running the rear shock on 25 will help, but you also need to raise the front. Progressive springs are reasonably cheap ~$100 and easy to fit, so I would suggest fitting the fork springs for better handling and run the rear shock with max preload and see if that helps.

Gary

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:56 pm

thrasherg wrote:I fitted progressive fork springs, which firms up the front end and raises the front of the bike about an inch, I then fitted a progressive rear shock which raised the rear about an inch (maybe a bit more), it makes the bike handle much better and gives more clearance in corners (before crash bars ground out), but you need to make sure your legs are long enough to still touch the floor when riding, it also made it very easy to put on the center stand. I am 55 and weigh 180lbs (mainly fat not muscle!) and it is very easy to get it on the center stand, prior to the changes I could Not get it on the center stand, so raising the bike is definately the way to go, running the rear shock on 25 will help, but you also need to raise the front. Progressive springs are reasonably cheap ~$100 and easy to fit, so I would suggest fitting the fork springs for better handling and run the rear shock with max preload and see if that helps.

Gary

I haven't seen the rear wheel move up or down on any pre-load setting in a while, would this mean my pre-load system is broke?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:23 am

Well, not broke, but probably tired. A plastic hose carries the hydraulic oil from the reservoir to the shock, and when the plastic tube gets old and tired, it allows stretch, which then holds some of the oil which should be changing the preload. The quick fix for this is to have a Traxxion Dynamics setup put on to replace the old shock system. The slower fix is to get a Traxxion hose, and redo the oil in the rear shock, at the same time as changing out the spring. You could use a Progressive spring for this, as it does not give quite the lift the Traxxion system does. It is a large job to get the shock system out to work on it, but the actual fix is not that bad.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:07 am

I all the GoldWingMan

I adjust the suspension 25 or any other adjustment, I never set only the center stand alone.
I install a CRS center stand ,super even my wife just put this leg effortlessly center stand.
We can even put it with the reverse of the bike.

FlyBoy2121 :mrgreen:

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 am

Putting a bike on the center stand is not a big or hard thing to do, There is a method to doing it and if you do mot have that down you will find it almost impossible to do.
But probably the easiest thing for you to do is buy a ride off center stand. Just remember not to leave the bike in neutral while on the ride off stand. Both wheels will be on the ground and if in neutral and on any slope it can and will roll off and tip over.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

joeincalif

Postby joeincalif » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 am

This is how I do it

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Do like the video above but use your LEFT foot...
It gives you a better leverage position..
Simple Push down with your left foot, while pulling UP and BACK with your right hand on the passenger grabrail.
Shrug your shoulder (right) and the bike will come up...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

W3JNP
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 - Titanium

Postby W3JNP » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Have you considered a ride off center stand?

You can back the bike up onto the stand in reverse or pull it up yourself with very little effort.
2004 Titanium GL1800
Reading, Pa

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 pm

joeincalif wrote:This is how I do it

This is exactly what i do, it still wont come up, only thing that makes sense to me is that the bike is to low and i would need to get it up to the level as other bikes to get it to rock up on its stand that easy, as what happens when i use the blocks of wood.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:38 am

cfennell1832 wrote:This is exactly what i do, it still wont come up, only thing that makes sense to me is that the bike is to low and i would need to get it up to the level as other bikes to get it to rock up on its stand that easy, as what happens when i use the blocks of wood.

What you could do is try getting it onto the center stand using a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under the rear wheel. If you can do this, then that is all you would have to carry with you. You would no longer need a piece of wood for the side stand, however, a side stand plate is handy for parking on the side stand on grass or dirt or even on hot pavement. Many folks use the 3/4 inch plywood trick.

Off topic, I have a side stand plate on a long string. I hook the string around the grip on the left handlebar, and drop the plate to where I can slide it under the side stand. When ready to leave, I cannot leave it behind as it is on a string. I keep it in the left glove box, with my ball bearings. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

joeincalif

Postby joeincalif » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:30 am

Have you asked any of your friends to try and put it on the center stand and see if they have trouble like you do. Or try to put a different Wing on a stand and see if it's the bike and not you??
Your best solution is to get a ride off stand.

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:23 pm

W3JNP wrote:Have you considered a ride off center stand?

You can back the bike up onto the stand in reverse or pull it up yourself with very little effort.

Money is the issue for me on this item.

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:31 pm

themainviking wrote:
cfennell1832 wrote:This is exactly what i do, it still wont come up, only thing that makes sense to me is that the bike is to low and i would need to get it up to the level as other bikes to get it to rock up on its stand that easy, as what happens when i use the blocks of wood.

What you could do is try getting it onto the center stand using a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under the rear wheel. If you can do this, then that is all you would have to carry with you. You would no longer need a piece of wood for the side stand, however, a side stand plate is handy for parking on the side stand on grass or dirt or even on hot pavement. Many folks use the 3/4 inch plywood trick.

Off topic, I have a side stand plate on a long string. I hook the string around the grip on the left handlebar, and drop the plate to where I can slide it under the side stand. When ready to leave, I cannot leave it behind as it is on a string. I keep it in the left glove box, with my ball bearings. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Gonna try the 2X8 on the front tire first to see if that makes a difference, if that works my problem will be almost fixed, will still have to see about the shocks maybe there worn out or since i bought it used maybe they were replaced with older ones before i got it?

pauldeere
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby pauldeere » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm 72 yrs. old and have no trouble getting my 08 Wing on the center stand with 8lbs. of air in the rear end.

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 pm

pauldeere wrote:I'm 72 yrs. old and have no trouble getting my 08 Wing on the center stand with 8lbs. of air in the rear end.

Would love to see you try that on my bike. When even the big guy at the dealer cant do it without rocking it 3 times.

pauldeere
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby pauldeere » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Not trying to make pun with your problem, but there has to be something wrong. Either something mechanically wrong with your M/C or you are doing something seriously wrong.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 am

I Pauldeere has all other GildWingmen.

It is not all people who are able to put the center GoldWing stand.
Those who are able to put the center stand, it costs them less $$$$$$$$$$$.
I know a GoldWingMen, which have a way of putting the center stand in a split second, here's how the GoldWing neutral, he backs the bike and at the same time be able to let leg and the bike, and the center stand goes without force.
I try and find my bike these to the side.

FlyBoy2121 :mrgreen:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 pm

ANY CHANCE is your back tire a smaller diameter car tire?
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 pm

FM-USA wrote:ANY CHANCE is your back tire a smaller diameter car tire?

Nope not a car tire regular bridgestone tire, can a different center stand be in use here? Guess i should check to be sure it's bolted in the right spot.

cfennell1832

Postby cfennell1832 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm

pauldeere wrote:Not trying to make pun with your problem, but there has to be something wrong. Either something mechanically wrong with your M/C or you are doing something seriously wrong.

Since my back tire does not move up or down when adjusting it from 0 to 25 (on or off the center stand) I'm starting to wonder if the preload adjuster is bad or out of fluid?

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 pm

It looks like a combination of 2 things.
Your Air shock not working and your rear tire is low.... as per your Avatar.

I don't know the 1800 but I believe there are only 2 center stands available, OEM and "Ride Off".

If your center stand was modified you will tell just by looking at it.
At the feet extra material and/or the legs, welded longer.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 pm

If there isn't something wrong with the bike, it really is not that tough a thing to do:

If something is causing the bike to be much lower than normal, it can be extremely difficult to get it up on the center stand.

If you can, can you get a picture of the bike from the side, with the center stand pushed down until the feet are touching the ground? That will give us an idea if the bike is too low or not.

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Postby hondapotamus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 am

I am 5' 7" tall and 160ish lbs. I have a very difficult time putting the bike on the center stand using the proper procedure and with load preset at 25

I switched to a 70 series tire on the back (from the stock 60 series) and that extra half inch in height allows me to "get it up". The added benefit is that it corrects the speedometer to within 1 kpg (0.6 mph).

You could try that - no wood to carry around, no extra stand to buy.

My $0.05 (we don't have pennies here in Canada eh!)

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”