wing front end wobble

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
glenwegener
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

wing front end wobble

Postby glenwegener » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:49 am

Okay, I just bought a 2002 wing and the front end wobbles back and forth when slowing down. I took the pressure off the bars and wow, really bad. I have read a lot of strings on this but I guess I want to see what really worked for anyone who has fixed this problem. I bought from a dealer and I am trying to get in touch of original owner to see what he has to say about it. It appears the rear tire is pretty new, and I would guess he did what I have done for years, change front after installing the second rear. ( 2 to 1)
Thanks

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: wing front end wobble

Postby thrasherg » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 am

I have the exact same problem on my 2004, I thought it might be due to the raised height of the bike (running aftermarket Progressive suspension which makes the wing sit 1" higher than stock) but many others seem to have the same issue. I have found that running a higher tyre pressure (I run 45 psi front and 48 psi rear) reduces the effect (doesn't stop it) and a new front tyre also reduces the effect, but after 5000 miles on the front tyre it is back in full strength! I just live with it, but would love to know a cure. Have greased head bearings (no difference) tried thicker grades of fork oil (no difference) tried different rear preload settings to see if that would help (it didn't), I could try other tyres, but I like my Avons so I just live with it (make sure I always have at least one hand on the handlebars at any time).

Gary

glenwegener
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby glenwegener » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 am

thrasherg wrote:I have the exact same problem on my 2004, I thought it might be due to the raised height of the bike (running aftermarket Progressive suspension which makes the wing sit 1" higher than stock) but many others seem to have the same issue. I have found that running a higher tyre pressure (I run 45 psi front and 48 psi rear) reduces the effect (doesn't stop it) and a new front tyre also reduces the effect, but after 5000 miles on the front tyre it is back in full strength! I just live with it, but would love to know a cure. Have greased head bearings (no difference) tried thicker grades of fork oil (no difference) tried different rear preload settings to see if that would help (it didn't), I could try other tyres, but I like my Avons so I just live with it (make sure I always have at least one hand on the handlebars at any time).

Gary

I guess I will start with a new tire and dynabeads. Thanks for the input. I would thing Honda being I have read so many complain about it, would have a fix! Anyone else have input?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 am

glenwegener wrote:I guess I will start with a new tire and dynabeads. Thanks for the input. I would thing Honda being I have read so many complain about it, would have a fix! Anyone else have input?

You are starting with the best possibility of fixing it. New tire, and properly balanced. Now, run at least 43 pounds of air in that tire (disclaimer: should not run more air than the side wall states). If this does not fix it, look at wheel bearings and steering head bearings, both of which may contribute to a shimmy when slowing down.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I have found that it is a classic problem with the Goldwing. It comes and goes with changes of tires. I seriously doubt you will ever get rid of it totally. It sometimes depends on the brand of tires and at other times it depends on how they are mounted and balanced.
If it goes away with new tires, it may come back in time. If it is there with new tires, it will undoubtedly be there for the duration of time those tires are on the wheels.
Both my GL1500 and GL1800 have had the problem off and on. The head bearings are properly torqued and the wheel bearings are in excellent shape.
I have learned to live with it when it pops up.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 pm

The OEM steering head bearings are similar to a bicycle type ball bearing. Changing to a tapered roller bearing (aftermarket) can make a difference.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:54 pm

Both my '89 1500 and my '12 1800 have at one time or another had the Wing Wobble. From my experience, it is tire related. For awhile, it went away when I went double dark and and put a Battlaxe rear on the front. Now that the tire has 25k on it and the tread pattern is starting to get a little worn, the wobble is back in full effect again. I blame the problem on a front suspension that amplifies torque and vibration but I am no engineer. I did put a fork stabilizer on and that seemed to limit it a bit.

K&JGoldwing
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing GL1800P8 Trike

Postby K&JGoldwing » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm no expert by any means, but have heard that installing a slight rake on the front end helps with that wobble. The 4.5% rake, or the 6% rake might help, but I think its slightly more expensive than trying a new tire. So trying the new tire first, with dynabeads for balancing is a good idea. If that doesn't work, you might try the slightly longer rake kit.
Kerry

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”