Progressive shocks

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Dpkal
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Progressive shocks

Postby Dpkal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:48 pm

hello all I have searched this forum on this and found a ton of information about making the right choice, but I cant find anything about how to do the work myself. So my question is how difficult is it to change out the rear spring from the OEM to the progressive, and if I do the rear should I replace the front as well?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Progressive shocks

Postby themainviking » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, if you do the rear, which is a lot of work, you might as well do the front, which is not really a tough job. If doing the front, you should also change out the oil. The rear requires quite a lot of disassembly to get to the shock, and a spring compressor to do the change. If you have the rear shock out, I would also change the oil there, and replace the hose with the traxxion version. Get the instructions off the Traxxion site.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dpkal

84 V65 saber

Postby Dpkal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:19 pm

themainviking wrote:Well, if you do the rear, which is a lot of work, you might as well do the front, which is not really a tough job. If doing the front, you should also change out the oil. The rear requires quite a lot of disassembly to get to the shock, and a spring compressor to do the change. If you have the rear shock out, I would also change the oil there, and replace the hose with the traxxion version. Get the instructions off the Traxxion site.

Thank you. If I do the front and have everything off the bike I was thinking about replacing the head bearings as I get a ton of shake when I am slowing.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 am

You do not need to remove much to do the front springs. Some of the tupperware over the steering head is all, to expose the top caps on the forks. Then turning the wheel to one side and then the other exposes the top caps, through which the springs may be changed. Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of pressure when you remove those fork caps. Also quite a bit of pressure to put them back on.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Dpkal

84 V65 saber

Postby Dpkal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 am

themainviking wrote:You do not need to remove much to do the front springs. Some of the tupperware over the steering head is all, to expose the top caps on the forks. Then turning the wheel to one side and then the other exposes the top caps, through which the springs may be changed. Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of pressure when you remove those fork caps. Also quite a bit of pressure to put them back on.

Should I just replace the springs in the from or should I get the pre assembled set up I have seen??

becken
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby becken » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:32 am

I replaced my front and rear springs with Hyperpro and couldn't be happier. I used the videos from angelridevideos.com to guide me through the process.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”