GL1800 uneven rear tire wear. Swing arm issue??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
brronco73
Motorcycle: 2003 gl1800a goldwing

GL1800 uneven rear tire wear. Swing arm issue??

Postby brronco73 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi everyone. I have a question for the group regarding my 2003 GL1800 rear tire wear pattern. The bike only has 39k miles on the clock and I just replaced the Bridgestone G704 rear tire with a new one after 10k miles. What was alarming to me was how the tire had significant wear on the left side compared to the right side where you can still see grooves. So I had a new G704 mounted this morning and as I was about to remount the wheel to the bike, I was looking at the single sided swing arm and wondered if there was some twist going on causing the excessive wear on the left side. The bike feels solid and rides / steers true without any pulling to either side. The majority of my riding is two up on curvy back roads in San Diego county. Anyone else experience this issue or have thoughts on my swing arm theory? Thanks in advance. Scott
Attachments

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: GL1800 uneven rear tire wear. Swing arm issue??

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:08 pm

I have never seen wear ;like that on my GL1800, the middle always goes fairly quickly, but the sides wear at similar rates, certainly not as different as your tyre. As mentioned it looks like the wheel is not correctly aligned either vertically or tracking. I think you have something out of alignment to cause that level of wear on one side of the tyre.

The first thing I would be doing is trying to check alignment of the rear wheel versus the front, either use 2 straight sections of metal bar or laser lights and check that the rear wheel is parallel to the front and that the center of the rear wheel is in line with the center of the front wheel (ie rear wheel is not offset to left or right hand side). If the 2 wheels are correctl aligned in the X direction, then you need to verify the rear wheel is vertical (ie frame or swing arm is not twisted and causing the wheel to sit at an angle, causing one side to wear faster than the other). I have only done 30K miles on my wing and gone through 3 rear tyres, but none of them have shown a wear pattern like yours. Maybe you Honda dealer could check the alignment, but I am sure they will want some money to do that.

Regards Gary

brronco73
Motorcycle: 2003 gl1800a goldwing

Re: GL1800 uneven rear tire wear. Swing arm issue??

Postby brronco73 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

thrasherg: Thank you for the tips. I bought the bike with 22k back in 2011 and it seems 10K is about it for a rear tire on these big boned girls. I'll report back my findings.

Scott

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”