Oil filter for synthetic engine oil

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Oil filter for synthetic engine oil

Postby 702scottc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:34 am

I'd like some feedback regarding the types of oil filters you guys who run synthetic oil in their bikes use. I recently changed the oil in my 1800 and used Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil, mainly because the PO used Amsoil from day one according to the maintenance records I got when I purchased the bike. I bought a Fram oil filter supposedly for synthetic oil because it was on the shelf. I've used Fram filters in the past and never had an issue. Would it be prudent to use the OE Honda filter instead? I'm not really sure if a standard filter is ok to use on synthetic oil or if it even matters?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Oil filter for synthetic engine oil

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:08 pm

I really do not think it matters. I've used OEM filters, Fram filters, Napa filters, SuperTech filters, and Purolater filters. I really do not think there is a lot of difference amongst them and specifically I do not know if is matters if you use dino oil or synthetic. I've used Amsoil, Mobile 1 and now Rotella T6. I don't have the oil or filter analyzed so I can't really say there has been any impact of any kind. It is all good as far as I know. The engines run smooth and do not use oil.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:43 pm

I have never heard of a filter made specifically for synthetic oil. Maybe its a good thing maybe its just a way to sell the same filter for more $. I use Mobil 1 full syn. 10 W 40 along with the short version of the puralator filter. It is the white filter not the yellow one.

GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:17 pm

I have been using a WIX filter since my first oil change. You could not pay me enough to use a FRAM. They used to be a great filter but their quality has gone straight down the tubes in the past several years. I work at an auto parts store (O'REILLY) and we have cut way back on our inventory of FRAM because of the complaints. By the way, yesterday my '06 just turned 194,000 and have never had a problem. I change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles like clockwork and all of the other fluids (coolant, brake and clutch fluid and rear end lube) every spring.

702scottc
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:06 pm

What sort of issues did you see from Fram? I won't likely use them anymore. I used the big bike parts filters that cyclemax sells for my 1500, not sure who makes them but I know cyclemax doesn't sell low quality parts. I liked them because they are $5 each! I think the 1800 uses the same filter.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 pm

702scottc wrote:What sort of issues did you see from Fram? I won't likely use them anymore. I used the big bike parts filters that cyclemax sells for my 1500, not sure who makes them but I know cyclemax doesn't sell low quality parts. I liked them because they are $5 each! I think the 1800 uses the same filter.

Fram filters have significantly less filter media area, use plastic (instead of steel) backflow valves, and cardboard (instead of steel) end caps. Basically they have made every change they can make to manufacture the filter as cheaply as possible, and you end up with exactly what you have paid for.

Napa Gold, Wix, Purolator, and Honda are all quality filters.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:55 pm

My buddy in Colorado has one of the new BMW K1600GTL touring bikes. I had not seen one up close (they are way too expensive here in Canada as you can buy a decent car for less $$).

Anyways, what really shocked me was 2 things: The tiny squashed oil filter! It is about 1/2 the 'height' of a regular oil filter. This is to allow you to shift the gear selector by your left foot. Also, there is a rod about 12" long that connects the shifter to the gear pinion on the transmission. It looks really tacky and as a poor engineering afterthought. Really spoils the look and expected 'sophistication' of the inline 6 cylinder engine.

So given that small amount of filtering media in a BMW's oil filter, I can see the need to change the filter/oil even more frequently.

By the way, I fill up my new oil filter with oil and slosh it around and then quickly screw it on. I do this with my car oil filters also so that there is no lack of oil in the filter and it helps the oil pump to quickly pressurize the line and have the oil where it needs to be right away at start up time.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:12 am

As WingAdmin said, all those he mentioned are quality filters. Amsoil also makes a filter for our bikes. And yes, there are filters made specifically for synthetic application, which filter down to about 20 microns. All that said, if you change your oil every 3K miles and the filter with it, it is unlikely that you would ever do any harm using even fram. As was stated by one previous poster, you could not pay me enough to use a fram, but that is personal choice. Change oil and filters often enough and you are good to go. Does not matter what you use as long as it is motorcycle approved Jaso MA/MA2. I would worry more about clutch problems than oil filter problems if not using motorcycle oil. Change oil often enough and probably do not even need a filter, except to close up that hole in the engine case.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

702scottc
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:32 am

I appreciate all the feedback, I typically don't use Fram filters on anything. I was surprised they had a filter on the shelf when I bought the oil. I don't typically shop at Walmart either but they have synthetic motorcycle oil on the shelf, hence why I was there. I'll order a couple of Honda filters from Cyclemax and keep them on hand. They sell them for less than the dealer does here.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:35 am

I use the stock genuine Honda oil filter with the recommended Honda oil. I use the synthetic blend in the gold bottle. My dealer has a $24 oil and filter special. Not too bad!

I am amazed at how many people will spend so much time debating the aftermarket oil and filter debate. When all is said and done how much are you saving over the manufactures recommended equipment? I just like the peace of mind of knowing that my $20K+ motorcycle has the manufacturer recommended parts. And if I ever have a problem the use of non recommended parts is not an issue. I just think the savings doesn't outway the peace of mind for me.

Scott

702scottc
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:14 am

I agree with your opinion. I used the Fram because they had one in stock at the time. I ordered a few Honda filters and have them on hand now. I doubt there is anything wrong with using Fram or any other aftermarket filter as long as the maintenance is done consistently. Better safe than sorry like you say...

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 am

I have only had to have one oil change so far at 5 k miles, I only have 7k on it now. I think that by doing this I hopefully avoid problems in the future. And if I do it gives the dealer/manufacturer less wiggle room to deny any claims in the future.

Besides at $24 why go through all the hassle with an oil change. I think just buying the materials is almost that.

Oil $7 a quart x 4 = $28
Filter $7. =$7
Total. =$33

And I don't have to dispose of the used oil. What a bargain And free coffee too!
I wish other choices in life were this simple!

Scott

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 am

Scooter363y wrote:I use the stock genuine Honda oil filter with the recommended Honda oil. I use the synthetic blend in the gold bottle. My dealer has a $24 oil and filter special. Not too bad!

I am amazed at how many people will spend so much time debating the aftermarket oil and filter debate. When all is said and done how much are you saving over the manufactures recommended equipment? I just like the peace of mind of knowing that my $20K+ motorcycle has the manufacturer recommended parts. And if I ever have a problem the use of non recommended parts is not an issue. I just think the savings doesn't outway the peace of mind for me.

Scott

I would totally agree with your reasoning ... IF ... I lived where you do and had $24 oil change possibilities, but here, that oil change is over a hundred bucks. Now, I realize that even $35 would be reasonable due to the monetary exchange rate, I always feel like the dealership is trying to rape me, so I do my own work. This means oil changes also. To belabor the point, I just went to the Honda dealership to buy replacement skid plates for my snowblower. These parts are $12.58 each from a US dealer, and my dealership charged me $37.44 each. I believe in dealing locally, but this is getting totally ridiculous. The dealership recently changed ownership and all the people are new, so nobody knows me any more, and the more than $100 K I have spent there over the years means diddly now.

ImageImage

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Viking,
Wow really hate it that your local dealer is charging you like this for services. I can see why you do your own work. I wonder what you have to pay for original oil & filters.

I see options

1. Looks like an excuse for a run down to buffalo for filters n wings a dozen of each should be about right
2. How difficult is it to order parts from a supplier in the U.S. And have shipped to you?
3. Make a friend here in U.S. And have them shipped up.

I have no experience in this area.

I'm not entirely sure but the last three Hondas I have had, vtx1800,silverwing,goldwing all used the same filter. I also think one of the smaller cars ( civic or fit) also use this one.

So you have some research to keep you busy. Well good luck with this project

Scott

I feel for ya brother

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:43 am

Scooter363y wrote:Viking,
Wow really hate it that your local dealer is charging you like this for services. I can see why you do your own work. I wonder what you have to pay for original oil & filters.

I see options

1. Looks like an excuse for a run down to buffalo for filters n wings a dozen of each should be about right ( I have been known to do that for the wings but not the filters)
2. How difficult is it to order parts from a supplier in the U.S. And have shipped to you? (I have a supply warehouse for what I use only 230 miles from me)
3. Make a friend here in U.S. And have them shipped up. (I would not like to take advantage)

I have no experience in this area.

I'm not entirely sure but the last three Hondas I have had, vtx1800,silverwing,goldwing all used the same filter. I also think one of the smaller cars ( civic or fit) also use this one.

So you have some research to keep you busy. Well good luck with this project

Scott

I feel for ya brother

Anyway Scott, thank you for your sympathy, but not necessary. I have been authorized to sell (and buy at wholesale) Amsoil products, since 1976, about four years after the company got it's start, sooo, I use Amsoil lubrication products, filters, both oil and air, in all my vehicles. As far as the Honda dealer goes, I am returning the skid plates and ordering them from a dealership I found in another province that says they have them for $20 each instead of $40. At $20 with free shipping, it adds up to about the same as from the U.S. with the exchange rate. I just had to find a friendlier dealer.

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”