My new ride

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

My new ride

Postby m2102 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Picked up my new to me river today. Had my bike trikes down in Lichfield at Niehaus. Road in rain on way back and still liked the new ride.

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: My new ride

Postby 702scottc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:36 am

Nice! Goldwing trikes are sought after out here. My friend bought an 2014 HD triglide and hates it. Wants to trade it for a Goldwing trike but the dealer didn't have one.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:43 am

m2102 wrote:Had my bike triked down in Lichfield at Niehaus.

So, if you don't mind, what is a ballpark figure on what this would cost, how long a lead time did you have to give Niehaus, and how long did it take to do the job? Thank you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:41 am

It all depended on what add one you want and their are some pricey ones. You could probably spend up to 20k on a kit. Mine is illusion red so paint wads a little more. You can get a price sheet from roads smith web site and just be missing labor. Took about 3 1/2 weeks to get the kit and 2 1/2 days to complete. The man to talk to is Bill, you can tell him Mike from Pontiac sent you. He's great to work with. Mine was less than 16k

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info.

ImageImage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 am

themainviking wrote:
m2102 wrote:Had my bike triked down in Lichfield at Niehaus.

So, if you don't mind, what is a ballpark figure on what this would cost, how long a lead time did you have to give Niehaus, and how long did it take to do the job? Thank you.

Better do some checking with your Transport Canada on "importing" a trike conversion from the US.
From a thread from another forum: TRANSPORT CANADA has decided in their infinite wisdom to disallow TRIKES of any kind in their assembled state as an Import to Canada, regardless if it meets height and safety requirements!
They will allow all other makes of Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks, Semi-Trucks, Boats and any and all other vehicles you can name but not assembled Trikes!
I have a Thoroughbred Stallion that my husband has salvaged and fixed but I can't ride it on our Canadian highways.
I'm sure you've all seen this trike??
It is the most absolute fun in riding and traveling that you can find on 2, 3 or 4 wheels. It not only has a steering wheel, it also has a Ford Fusion Engine and Automatic Transmission, air ride, adjustable brake and throttle control, tilt steering column, cruise control, heat and air-conditioning, 7cu ft of cargo trunk space etc. etc. etc. I could go on forever with this Trike but why not just go see the official site and check it out?
No Canadians are allowed to have one of these incredible machines and unless someone buys the franchise, sets up an assembly plant, imports the parts and assembles them here in Canada ...we are "s@#t" out of luck!
And that's not going to happen because they are too busy trying to fill the orders they have in the USA
I have mine because it was in an accident in British Columbia, needed repairs and was subsequently left here in Canada.
Thanks to my incredibly talented husband, I now have a fully functional Trike that needs a little fiberglass repair.
Not that it matters at this point because I will probably have to sell it back to the U.S.A on eBay or something.

Exert from http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... ex-452.htm
Once modified (other than having general repairs or routine maintenance), the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is required for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian certified vehicles modified in the United States and returning to Canada. For example:
• a motorcycle converted into trike,
• a cargo van converted into a camper,
• adding a suspension lift kit to a vehicle,
• adapting a vehicle for disabled access,
• lengthening a vehicle or
• re-fitting a vehicle with a different body kit.

Be careful when buying modified vehicles to import into Canada. Make sure the vehicle modifier or final stage manufacturer has established that it complies with Canadian standards. You cannot import the vehicle into Canada without this proof.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:17 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:Better do some checking with your Transport Canada on "importing" a trike conversion from the US.

Exert from http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... ex-452.htm
Once modified (other than having general repairs or routine maintenance), the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is required for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian certified vehicles modified in the United States and returning to Canada. For example:
• a motorcycle converted into trike,
• a cargo van converted into a camper,
• adding a suspension lift kit to a vehicle,
• adapting a vehicle for disabled access,
• lengthening a vehicle or
• re-fitting a vehicle with a different body kit.

Be careful when buying modified vehicles to import into Canada. Make sure the vehicle modifier or final stage manufacturer has established that it complies with Canadian standards. You cannot import the vehicle into Canada without this proof.

Yeah, I do not know about other provinces (our version of your states, only bigger) but Ontario for one will not allow importation of a trike per se except for Spyders and Harleys, as they are factory built, and sold from Canadian dealerships. However, if one has a two wheel motorcycle, already registered and titled, and converts it to a trike, they do not even see the conversion and it is all perfectly legal, and can be bought and sold at will. Buying a trike kit and having it delivered into Canada is not considered an importation of a motor vehicle. It is considered an accessory. Transport Canada is not the overriding decision maker. Each province has their own ministry of transportation and they override any of Transport Canada's decisions with the exception of Factory Manufacture of vehicles. On the other hand, I can built a homebuilt trike, using the rear end of a rear engine car, and the front end of a motorcycle, for which I have a title, and it only needs to be approved as a safe vehicle by the ministry of transportation for Ontario to be road worthy. The main kicker is the cost. To buy and bring in a Hannigan trike kit for a GL1800 in Cdn dollars, is north of $22,000. Then to get it installed by a qualified installer is probably another $10,000. In the U.S., this Hannigan kit would be less than $12K and the labor to install would probably be $3500. That is about $21,000 Cdn total, a savings of about $11,000. This was the reason I asked about the costs.

As far as importing a modified vehicle into Canada, as far as I know, it is a no no, and no matter the loopholes one could jump through, it won't happen. It is almost in the line of "what THEY don't know won't hurt ME".

ImageImage

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Talked to a trike dealer last year at the Biker's Reunion in New Liskeard, Ontario last year. I mentioned the cost could be as little as $10K to which he agreed; however, he mentioned that in reality it is closer to $20K out the door. It was the motor trike kit and he was from southern Ontario.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”