6 pole trailer light plug

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800 goldwing

6 pole trailer light plug

Postby rickseifer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:03 pm

I just bought a 2004 kruzer sarasota trailer that has an interior light and light on the spoiler. it has a 6 pole light plug. Does anyone know what kind of harness I need (manufacturer name and part number) for my 2007 gl1800 goldwing non-abs but premium audio? my first post hope I'm doing it right.

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 6 pole trailer light plug

Postby themainviking » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:06 am

My best guess would be to get hold of Kruzer and ask them why six poles. The bike has five native sources, so you must need to double up on one of the five pins to supply the trailer with everything. I have done the bike (5) to trailers (4) with kits that can be had from Cyclemax and others. To do six, one needs to know what is there, and adapt to it. If it was me, I would still get the adapter kit from Cyclemax that takes the trailers light power from the battery as opposed to through the bikes wiring looms.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: 6 pole trailer light plug

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I suspect the six pole connector on the trailer was installed by the previous owner/s. They are easier to find than the five pole connectors.

You will have to do a little testing to determine which wire goes where on the trailer.
Normally a four wire system is connected like this:
The Yellow wire goes to the LEFT turn light.
The GREEN wire goes to the RIGHT turn light.
The BROWN is for the running lights.

A five wire system is for foreign vehicles. On US made vehicles, the LEFT and RIGHT turn signal wires also control the brakes.
The BRAKE lights are separate on non-USA manufactured vehicles.
The BLUE wire would be attached to the brake lights.

If there are six wires then the sixth wire may be attached to the dome light from the battery. If you have a dome light in the trailer that is connected to the battery, you would use the wire color of your choice. I connected my dome light to the running lights.

Cyclemax has the trailer harness you need. It should be an Isolated harness so that you do not overtax the on-board wiring of your GL1800. The wires are light duty and you will need heavier duty wiring for your trailer.
GL1800 Isolated Trailer Harness (B52-694) http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_isolated_trailer_harness/120/147725.

They also have four and five wire trailer connectors. They also have 5 to 4 Pin Trailer Harness Converter adapters if you elect to adapt the five wire system of the GL1800 to a four wire system for your trailer.
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”