Audio Problems - At wits end

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Audio Problems - At wits end

Postby seabeechief » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:44 am

I have audio problems and I'm at my wits end. I need someone who (1) knows and understands Honda GL188 audio systems and (2) is able and willing to find the "ghosts" in my Wing.

(1) audio cuts in and out at various times for no apparent reason.

(2) rear speakers do not work since the Roadsmith trike kit was installed August 2015.

(3) Satellite radio comes and goes. I have changed the base and the antenna. I have borrowed another radio from a friend and it does the same thing. There is nothing left to change.

I'm not looking for a freebie. I will pay the going rate. All I ask is that it gets fixed and gets fixed correctly, and hopefully permanently.

If anyone knows of a shop or independent mechanic that is interested in this haunted machine, please let me know. I live in San Antonio/Austin area. I am willing to ride or haul a reasonable distance and leave the bike for as long as it takes.

Understand that I'm a little gun shy on long distance relationships after my trike conversion problems.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Audio Problems - At wits end

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Hey Chief; Sierra Electronics is the go to for anything audio on Goldwings. Phone them and talk to them, as a phone call is cheap. They can and will advise you.

Toll Free: 1-800-338-6938
Local: 937-335-8939

2080 Experiment Farm Rd
Troy, OH 45373

Email: sales@sierra-mc.com
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 pm

seabeechief wrote:(1) audio cuts in and out at various times for no apparent reason.
(2) rear speakers do not work since the Roadsmith trike kit was installed August 2015.
(3) Satellite radio comes and goes. I have changed the base and the antenna. I have borrowed another radio from a friend and it does the same thing. There is nothing left to change.
Chief

Your description has the earmarks of poor ground.
Here's a freebie possible solution.

Try attaching a wire to your antenna base (tape of vise grips) below the fold down collar and ground it to the bike frame and see if you get reception. If so check your radios ground to frame.
The antennas wire should not be coiled up. If you must coil it to save space, loop it in a figure 8.

I had a very similar problem on my Ford Van where I mounted the radio in the overhead wood shelf. I expected the radios ground to deal with the antennas ground also. It didn't so I added a ground wire to the roofs metal cross beam. That worked.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Before you do anything, make sure your CB isn't on!

I have multiple times fallen prey to this - having the CB on, but with the volume all the way down. Whenever the CB breaks squelch (i.e. someone transmits), the audio system mutes, but you don't hear anything because the CB is turned down. In effect, it sounds like your bike audio system just keeps cutting out for no reason.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:41 pm

themainviking wrote:Hey Chief; Sierra Electronics is the go to for anything audio on Goldwings. Phone them and talk to them, as a phone call is cheap. They can and will advise you.

Toll Free: 1-800-338-6938
Local: 937-335-8939

2080 Experiment Farm Rd
Troy, OH 45373

Email: sales@sierra-mc.com

Viking, IF it wasn't 1250 miles, and IF it wasn't winter time in Ohio, I would take it to them today. But I don't go North of Austin between Labor Day and Memorial Day, soooooooo........

But I may give them a call. Another forum friend gave me something to check with the grounds, so I'm going to do that first. Thanks for the info.

Chief
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:44 pm

FM-USA wrote:
seabeechief wrote:(1) audio cuts in and out at various times for no apparent reason.
Chief

Your description has the earmarks of poor ground.
Here's a freebie possible solution.

Try attaching a wire to your antenna base (tape of vise grips) below the fold down collar and ground it to the bike frame and see if you get reception. If so check your radios ground to frame.
The antennas wire should not be coiled up. If you must coil it to save space, loop it in a figure 8.

I had a very similar problem on my Ford Van where I mounted the radio in the overhead wood shelf. I expected the radios ground to deal with the antennas ground also. It didn't so I added a ground wire to the roofs metal cross beam. That worked.

FM-USA, I will give this a shot. Also, I do have the long antenna wire sort of coiled up and velcro-ed to the back of the base. But the radio worked for 5-6 years just the way it is. There simply has to be something I'm missing. But your ground test is easy to check. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Chief
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:46 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Before you do anything, make sure your CB isn't on!

I have multiple times fallen prey to this - having the CB on, but with the volume all the way down. Whenever the CB breaks squelch (i.e. someone transmits), the audio system mutes, but you don't hear anything because the CB is turned down. In effect, it sounds like your bike audio system just keeps cutting out for no reason.

Roger that WingAdmin......I already triple checked that option. The CB radio is not the problem.....at least not the problem right now. I think I may have to change my gremlin bell oil.......maybe that's it.

Chief
Darkside #1609

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:01 pm

seabeechief wrote:Roger that WingAdmin......I already triple checked that option. The CB radio is not the problem.....at least not the problem right now. I think I may have to change my gremlin bell oil.......maybe that's it.

Chief

Perhaps that is why I do not seem to have any problems with my GL1800. I never did install that durned bell. :lol:

ImageImage

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Tidbits of memories...

I'm just remembering another AM/FM radio reception problem I had.
When you get a new receiver for the house, you get that squarish AM/FM "wire loop antenna". It attaches to those two 75 or 300 Ohm terminals. So I got really poor reception no matter which direction it wasp pointed. (PROBLEM: I'm equal distant from Chicago and Milwaukee). So I did the old Martian Antenna trick and bent a metal coat hangar into a 90 degree figure 8. I fed the insulated antenna lead through the base of the coat hangar and used the upright side as a ground reflector. I wanted Chicago station I turned the ground loop towards Milwaukee and vise versa. I still got fade in & out reception but I got something.

Back in the day when 14.4 modem was all you got for Internet connecting. Well I had to run a 50 foot coax wire to my PC and got rather terrible connection speeds. Someone said try wrapping a long length of house wire around the coax cable in 2 to 3 inch loops and the other end attached to a water pipe. My reception jumped from roughly 8 kbit/s to 13.? kbit/s. But as I found out years later that wire was more of an extra ground shield from the house electrical system.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 am

themainviking wrote:
seabeechief wrote:Roger that WingAdmin......I already triple checked that option. The CB radio is not the problem.....at least not the problem right now. I think I may have to change my gremlin bell oil.......maybe that's it.

Chief

Perhaps that is why I do not seem to have any problems with my GL1800. I never did install that durned bell. :lol:

I don't see how you are still alive without a gremlin bell........I'm afraid if I take mine off, my deer whistlers will explode!

Chief
Darkside #1609

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 am

A friend had that problem on his bike several years back. Seems his MUTE setting was at MAX and any small noise or wing on the mic would cause the radio to mute and then come back on. Probably not your problem, just a thought
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 am

joeincalif wrote:A friend had that problem on his bike several years back. Seems his MUTE setting was at MAX and any small noise or wing on the mic would cause the radio to mute and then come back on. Probably not your problem, just a thought

joeincal, you have me at a complete disadvantage on this one. I'm aware of the "mute" button on the left handlebar audio controls, but I'm not aware of any settings for it. Can you point me in the right direction? My knowledge consists of pushing the mute button "in" to mute the radio, and pushing it again to release it. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

In my never ending quest to make things as difficult as possible, ponder this for a while. I have another separate and distinct setup for my motorhome. I have another base, antenna and power supply, and a pair of headphones I use when I'm driving. The satellite radio goes off and on with that set up as well. The only common factor is the radio.

I borrowed another radio from a friend over the weekend for a 300 mile round trip on the bike. His radio goes off and on, as well. Everything is leading me to a bad ground scenario, except for the motorhome problem. This thing is driving me crazy.

Keep the tips coming. I'm grasping for straws.

Chief
Darkside #1609

joeincalif

Postby joeincalif » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 am

It's been 7 years since I had my last 1800 but if I remember correctly, if you push one of the radio buttons (I'm not sure which one) it will cycle thru several different settings. One of those will be MUTE, make sure that is set on a low number. I'm sure someone will chime in on the way to get to the mute setting. On the 1500 there is a know on the radio to set it but on the 1800 you have to cycle thru some settings.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 am

That is not the way the mute is on my GL1800. The three settings for each audio device are on - speakers, on - headphones and OFF. The mute button on the handlebar does any and all muting for all audio devices. Chief, it almost sounds like your subscription to XM radio has run out. That or you are finding areas where the satellites cannot be read. We used to get this on my wifes new car the odd time, and after the free scrip ran out, it became quite often. We switched to the USB port and prerecorded music and all is well for her. If you are looking for constant music, that's one way, although you may need an adapter to get USB into the audio system. This does not mean it is the same problem, it is just an experience I can tell you about. Oh, by the way, do you have a manual for your audio?

ImageImage

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:16 pm

I think was joe is referring to is the intercom mute. If not adjusted properly, it will mute the audio system.

joeincalif

Postby joeincalif » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:03 pm

baumedagn wrote:I think was joe is referring to is the intercom mute. If not adjusted properly, it will mute the audio system.

baumedagn, thank you for clearing that up. Like I said, it's been a long time since owned an 1800
That's what I was talking about. If the mute for the intercom is up to high it will mute the other audio.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”