making slow tight turns

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

making slow tight turns

Postby Fred Blind » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 pm

I am relly enjoying my 05 wing, I have put over 4000 miles on it since earlier this year.
Has anyone else had any problem with slow tight turns, I have laid the bike down a few times fortuntely
my rider pegs protected my bikes (but not my pride)
Any insights or thougts anyone want to pass on?
Thank you, Fred

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: making slow tight turns

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:15 pm

I Fred Blind

My too have had a problem with corners tighten turn the first season,I still always attention.

This is the angle of the fork that rotates rapidly.

You must practice often, you'll get used to the miles or kilometers.

FlyBoy2121 :D

Fred Blind

Postby Fred Blind » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks Fly boy, I appreciate your comments and your honesty. I will try cutting some slow turns, I know about counter balaning the bike.
The problem is when the bike starts to go over it seems there is no pulling it back. But you are right I need a lot more practice with it.
thank you, Fred

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am

Lots of practice. :)

I use trail braking and clutch feathering on my 1100. The problem with slow riding is that the engine is at the low end of its powerband (basically idling) and you don't have much throttle control. So ignore the throttle altogether - hold the engine up around 1500 rpm and leave it there. Use a bit of trail braking (drag the rear brake a bit) and use the clutch to adjust your speed. If you are getting to the point where you need a bit of speed to pick things up, it's very simple to just let the clutch out a smidgen and grab the power that's already there (remember you're holding the engine at 1500 rpm, just for that reason). That power is applied instantly. If you're trying to do this with throttle, and you realize you need some power, apply throttle - by the time the engine catches up, it's too late.

I can't say as to how well trail braking works with linked brakes, as I haven't tried it - someone else will have to speak up.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:07 pm

trail braking works well on the gl1800---I use it every day...with practice, you can get your uturns under 18 feet...

This guy does consistently well at the gwrra top gun competitions (like a police mc competition, but on goldwings), and he has a different approach to learning to turn sharply than many have...read what he has to say and see if you take anything from it, also Doug (the guy named DJFire on that board who I'm talking about) is all too happy to talk with you individually if you have other questions about his technique:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... 208&page=2

Good luck!

expplane
Motorcycle: Goldwing 2008

Postby expplane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm

This video is worth the price if one does the exercises. He even shows how a 140 lb women can pick up a full dress Harley when laid over.
After 30 years of riding thought I knew how to ride. This showed me I had lots to learn.

ms4pres
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800

Postby ms4pres » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi, in response to the slow tight turns. One post mentions the trail braking and clutch . That is right but one of the MOST important things to do is DO NOT look down as you attempt the tight turn. If you look down, you WILL go down. Yes, practice the turns with the aggressive combination of clutch and rear brakes to control power to rear wheel and to control speed.
It takes practice, I am a motor officer on a Police Dept. in N.J. I went through the Maryland State Police Basic Motorcycle Operator Course and the instructor course. I will do things on the Harley Road King at work that I do not do on my GL1800. I don't lie to beat up on my clutch and brakes on my bike. But, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE ! Mark.

expplane

Postby expplane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 pm

As Jerry Paladino instructs, you must look as far to the rear as you can. At first I was reluctant to do that. But without almost breaking my neck it does not work well. I try to look almost 180 to the rear and by golly, that's exactly where I go!!!!
Also, I find that first get going straight at a very slow speed trail braking and feathering the clutch (really not necessary with a GL), then turn the head 180 degrees if possible, then turn the bars. If I start falling into the turn I ADD throttle; NOT brakes. Works every time.

my06wing
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800
2002 VTX 1800

Postby my06wing » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:50 pm

This is a common issue when first getting to know your wing. Tight turns can be a trip from a dead stop. Right hand turns are worse.
Try what I did until I got used to it by taking off in second gear in those tight ones. It's much smoother and wont hurt your clutch any more than dragging your back brake will. After a while you'll get a good feel for the bike and won't need to do it that much anymore.
:D

Fred Blind

Postby Fred Blind » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Thank you all so much, I checked out the videos (they helped alot) as did the tips.
Actually improving and feeling more comfortable, the wing is a great ride both around town and distance.

I put about 5000 miles on the bike since I got it earlier this year.
Appreciate everyones input!
Fred

oneweasel
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Postby oneweasel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Use 2nd gear, head & eyes up looking well over shoulder in direction of turn (Look thru back of head, BIG head turn, DON'T LOOK DOWN!), control speed w/clutch (throttle even at this speed is too jumpy, idle speed in 2nd gear is just right) and trail brake as little as possible. Don't get down on yourself if you drop the bike, sh.. happens, that's why the crash bars are there (anyone on a wing understands). ABOVE ALL PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE then PRACTICE REGULARLY.

A wing can U-Turn in as little as 20', for a novice start at 28' work to 24' gradually. Use a smooth clean parking lot. Churches & high schools provide the best practice fields.

I purchase ground chalk & split tennis balls to mark the outer barriers. If your tires make contact with the balls they resist sliding, the chalk washes away easily. Set the balls/cones at the corners only then at your entry & exit points. The full box size used by the MSF ERC(Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Experienced Rider Course) 60' by 28' for the Basic Rider Course it it 60' by 24'. Do 2 consecutive U-Turns, enter at right corner down right line, make left U-Turn, at end of the left turn (at line you came in on) do a right U-Turn exiting along the left boundary line. Repeat as necessary. Good luck!

To get over your doubts try playing a game of "follow the leader" with an experienced rider. You watch his tail lights as you ride. He turns you turn, don't look at anything but his rear lights. As he tightens his turn you will too. Just make sure he is a good rider!

Eric Hart
Master Peace Officer
Police Instructor
MSF RiderCoach

expplane

Postby expplane » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I tried second gear and it is much smoother and more easy to control the speed. Thanks for the tip.
Wayne

Mulla
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 VTX 1300R

Postby Mulla » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:39 pm

I have both, the "RIde like a Pro" and "Top Gun" motorcycle training videos and I have found they are both excellent videos which taught me tricks like making tight turns. I found the 'Top Gun' video with Wells Cornett did more to stress the importance of using the rear brake along with the clutch and throttle control. I found after practicing using the rear brake, my turns got tighter and easier. Also, I agree with using the second gear, it makes the throttle less 'jumpy' and easier to keep in the right zone.

Good Luck

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”