CB, CD Installation

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
winger05
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

CB, CD Installation

Postby winger05 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I want to install the CD & CB on my 05 Wing. I have all of the equipment, but the dealer wants $334.00 to do the install :shock: . Is this a job that I could do? any special tools or etc? Why would it be so expensive to do this install at the dealer unless it is really hard to do??? Need some advise.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: CB, CD Installation

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 am

It's all plug and play except for a hole that must be drilled in the trunk for the cables to pass through.
This can be very simple to do if you have a right angle drill. Using one means you do not have to remove the trunk as the instructions tell you to do.
$300+ to install CB & CD seems high but, it depends on what that dealer charges for labor/hr.
1. Make sure the 3 required noise filters come w/the CB.
2. Make sure you get the antenna tuned, SWR(Standing Wave Ratio)
I assume you know there are cheaper and better aternatives available than the CD player and the Factory CB?
For instance: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail.php?pgroupid=29791 I am not reccommending this, just saying there are alternatives available.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am

winger05 wrote:I want to install the CD & CB on my 05 Wing. I have all of the equipment, but the dealer wants $334.00 to do the install :shock: . Is this a job that I could do? any special tools or etc? Why would it be so expensive to do this install at the dealer unless it is really hard to do??? Need some advise.

I would be curious how much of that is the cb and how much of that is the cd install...the cd install is pretty easy and doesn't require much removal of parts...the cb installation requires the installation of filters, which are located in various parts of the bike...shelter removal is usually required for the filter and resulting cb installs...maybe they are quoting you a high price because of that. If they do pull the shelter to do this, you should get them to swap the air filter while they are already down there if your bike needs it.

winger05
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby winger05 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions on the alternatives. I have given this a lot of thought and did a lot of research since I placed this post. I've decided to do the installs myself along with other various accessories I have purchased. Besides saving the money, I think it will be a good experience to learn more about the bike as I go through this process. Thanks again for the replies.

winger05
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby winger05 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:30 pm

*****UPDATE******

Today I finished the install of the CD & CB on my 05 Wing (along with some other accessories). I do have to say that not counting the other misc accessories I installed while I had the bike tore down, the $334.00 I was quoted by the dealer probably would have been worth the money to let them do the install. I don't think I would want to do another one. The main problem is the whole top of the bike has to come off to gain the needed access to connect and route wire harness's and to install the CD mount to the rear frame under the trunk. The only thing that made this job worth while, is that I was able to install other accessories along the way while I had the access which would have been additional money if the dealer would have done the this work as well :roll: .

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 am

winger05 wrote:The main problem is the whole top of the bike has to come off to gain the needed access to connect and route wire harness's
The dealer would have simply loosened the right side of the shelter, and reached in through the gap to make the connections. It takes me roughly a minute to get in this way to make the CB cable connection.

The CD player alternative - bikemp3.com
The CB alternative, with FRS, GPS and Cellphone support - gl2way.com

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:14 pm

salyzyn wrote:
winger05 wrote:The main problem is the whole top of the bike has to come off to gain the needed access to connect and route wire harness's
The dealer would have simply loosened the right side of the shelter, and reached in through the gap to make the connections. It takes me roughly a minute to get in this way to make the CB cable connection.

I agree. I loosened mine up and proped it up with a piece of wood. Also you don't need an angle drill. With the seat off I drilled a pilot hole to mark where I needed to drill (watch the wires on the other side) and then was able to drill through the back of the trunk from the outside with the seat off.

winger05
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2005 GL1800

Postby winger05 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Red Ron wrote:
salyzyn wrote:

I agree. I loosened mine up and proped it up with a piece of wood. Also you don't need an angle drill. With the seat off I drilled a pilot hole to mark where I needed to drill (watch the wires on the other side) and then was able to drill through the back of the trunk from the outside with the seat off.

After doing this installation, I really don't know how it would be possible to just raise one side of the trunk. Maybe for just a the CB install, but when installing the the CD mounting bracket, you need to attach the mounting brackets to each side of the frame under he trunk and use the supplied template on the under side of the trunk to drill the bracket holes so they line up perfectly with the frame brackets. In my opinion, there is no way this could be accomplished by simply lifting up one side of the trunk :roll:

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm

I was talking about only taking out enough of the top shelter fasteners to be able to raise it enough to plug in the big 13 prong plug. I didn't have to do anything to the trunk to be able to drill the needed hole. Simply remove the seat (which must be done anyway) and drill into the back of the trunk. (I am referring to the big hole in the back of the trunk that all of the leads from the cb module go through).

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 pm

I can't speak for the CB installation as I am not there yet with the Wing. I have a CB on my Valkyrie and it is great. Especially when you aretraveling long distance and going thru down town traffic with other riders that have one.

For the CD alternative, I just installed a MP3 substitute for the CD player on my GW in Sept. I think it took me about 30 minutes to install. It is fully integrated into the the GW handle bar controlls. Sure beats using a MP3 off the auxillary jack. I bought the one with software to make it easier to load the music into the folders. It is possible to copy over 900 songs onto a sing card. The unit tucks away into the rear trunk and is smaller than a package of cigarettes.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/32037_J_M_GL1800_Music_Player_Song_Software_COMBO

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

salyzyn
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby salyzyn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 am

Or from the horses mouth, the original purveyor was bikemp3.com of this series 1-style unit and now has available the series 2 of the unit. The Series one unit works best on the Pre-05 bikes, the Series 2 unit works best on the '06 and higher from what I understand.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”