Pre-Load setting

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
expplane
Motorcycle: Goldwing 2008

Pre-Load setting

Postby expplane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:15 pm

On page 171 of the GL1800 Owner's Manual it states "Standard position is 0". That is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!! I set that thinking it would be a soft setting for a cushie ride. It was horrible; the suspension was actually hitting the rubber stops, but I just couldn't believe that was happening. Felt like a stinking hard tail Hog. I thought that was the way Honda designed it to be. It was not until I placed an order with Works Performance Products for a custom rear shock did the rep describe how to set the pre-load. If the suspension travel is 4" (it's 4.1 actually), then with me on the bike feet up (HAAA HAAA), it should compress no more than 1 1/4". Until I became desperate with pinched nerve issues (I'm an old fart who refuses to grow up), and resort to ordering a custom shock with the accompanying discussion, did I dare try setting a higher preload; like 14, even 21. Well, wholly cow; it's a completely different bike. Plush ride that I had only dreamed of previously.
The MOM should be revised immediately to prevent other naive, ignorant old farts of shock technology from busting their backs. Properly stated would be something like "The base reference point is 0. Recommended initial setting is 10 for 150 lb riders, 25 for 250 lb riders."

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Pre-Load setting

Postby thrasherg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:50 am

When I took my shock of to change it for a traxxion shock, I discovered that until the preload showed 8, it wasn't actually adding any preload to the spring!! I had to refill the hydralic system to get it to work correctly. However as you state I have never just set it to a recomended value, I have always taken the time on every bike I own to measure the static sag and the loaded sag and change preload to get 25 to 30% loaded sag.. The honda rear shock seems terribly undersprung to me, a big part of why the traxxion shock felt so good, was because the Honda was so bad!! Honda really seem to need to put a much stiffer spring on the rear of the wing, traxxion and others have realised this and will sell you just a stiffer spring for about $100 and I heard that it makes a nice improvement.. Me, I like my traxxion setup (front and rear) and will stick with this until I change the wing in 2020...

Gary

expplane

Postby expplane » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Gary,
Your comments are in sync with Works Performance GL1800 shock design; they use 1050 lb SRS whereas Honda uses a 850 SRS spring. Even at the highest setting on my GL1800, which is 25 on the pre-load indication, my shock still sags almost 50%. So in two weeks or so I should have a custom made shock for my weight and riding style. Will post the results.
Wayne

wingjeweler
Motorcycle: 2004 gl 1800 goldwing

Postby wingjeweler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:01 am

Where did you get the shocks you are talking about. Works Performance. My big a** seems to bottom it out a lot.
Darksider # 796
04 Goldwing
www.kluttsjewelers.com

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 pm

If you don't have much money try getting the Traxxion or progressive replacement rear shock spring. The honda damping seems okay, just the spring is too soft. The sping costs around $120 which is a lot less than a new shock and makes a big difference if your wing is carrying a lot of weight.

Gary

expplane

Postby expplane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 pm

wingjeweler wrote:Where did you get the shocks you are talking about. Works Performance. My big a** seems to bottom it out a lot.

The reason I chose Works Performance shock is that 1) they have been in the shock business for at least 40 years, 2) they offer a GL1800 shock with rebound damping adjustment. I am currently waiting on shipment of the new shock after sending in my stock shock with the preload adjuster. They then mount the preload to the new shock and ship both the stock and new shock. I didn't feel confident enough yet (new out-of-the-crate GL1800 2008) to pull the shock off myself. If...... IF... it needs to be done again for whatever reason I will try it. Have the DVD Service Manual, and am use to doing my own wrenching on previous bikes.

joshellison
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby joshellison » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:35 am

I had wondered on exactly what the pre-load did for the rear suspension also and bounced around the internet some after reading these posts. My understanding is that the pre-load does not necessarily raise the ride height but actually increases the stiffness of the spring allowing for more weight to be added preventing sag. I had noticed that there was a slight increase in height but nothing that I would consider significant. I do understand how the system should work and will go out and adjust my pre-load accordingly now. Not sure if I will attempt the fluid level on the compressor anytime soon but will if I have a need to get in there.

expplane

Postby expplane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am

From the highest setting to the lowest setting on my '08 GL, it changed the ride height about 1/2". What it does is to allow a greater bump before hitting the stop. As I stated in my first post, I had thought a lower setting would mean a softer ride; actually it was the opposite, since it was bottoming out. According to Works Perfermance, first set the pre-load to 25 -33% of total rear wheel travel, then adjust the rebound damping. Honda stock shock cannot be set much less than 40%-50% even with the highest pre-load. Why they did that I have no idea.
Wayne

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:43 am

So what do you think of the works performance shock?

joshellison
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby joshellison » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:35 pm

expplane wrote:
wingjeweler wrote:Where did you get the shocks you are talking about. Works Performance. My big a** seems to bottom it out a lot.

The reason I chose Works Performance shock is that 1) they have been in the shock business for at least 40 years, 2) they offer a GL1800 shock with rebound damping adjustment. I am currently waiting on shipment of the new shock after sending in my stock shock with the preload adjuster. They then mount the preload to the new shock and ship both the stock and new shock. I didn't feel confident enough yet (new out-of-the-crate GL1800 2008) to pull the shock off myself. If...... IF... it needs to be done again for whatever reason I will try it. Have the DVD Service Manual, and am use to doing my own wrenching on previous bikes.

Any feedback on the new shock yet? What did something like that run $ ? Is the process of removing and installing the shock fairly easy? I know there are some DIY on here but wanted to get a first hand opinion.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 pm

Removing and reinstalling the shock isn't difficult, just time consuming...

The most conventional way involves removing the shelter and fuel tank...this takes time...you'll also need a spring compressor to remove the spring once you get the shock out of the bike...and if you're swapping the shock, you'll need to move the preload compressor from the old shock to the new one...might as well open the preload system up and top off the fluid to fix the preload issues many people have from the factory.

Not hard, just time consuming.

Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Tepcro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am

Does anyone out there know of a writeup on how to fill the hydraulic pump up?

becken
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby becken » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:30 am

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

I would add you should mark the position of the hydraulic line before loosening it as it is important that it be reinstalled in the same position. I would also highly recommend getting Fred Harmon's videos.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html

He's very laid back and will show you how to do almost everything you want to do on your 1800.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”