Progressive suspension upgrades

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Progressive suspension upgrades

Post by Scooter363y » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm considering an upgrade to the suspension on my 2014 wing and would like to hear from anyone that has done the following;

Monotube front fork upgrade, was the installation difficult? How did this affect ride quality?

Rear spring upgrade with the stainless preset hose upgrade. Was the installation difficult? How did it affect the ride quality?

Don't get me wrong I like the ride of my wing now. But I think it can be better. I'm over six ft tall and three hundred lbs. the wife is about one fifty. We haven't added any gear for a long ride but now it feels like the suspension has just about all it can handle now. Any comments are welcome.

Ride safe
Scooter
Attachments

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Progressive suspension upgrades

Post by tfdeputydawg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Scooter363y wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm
I'm considering an upgrade to the suspension on my 2014 wing and would like to hear from anyone that has done the following;

Monotube front fork upgrade, was the installation difficult? How did this affect ride quality?
Don't know your miles??? Anyway, all suspensions wear out! If you are near 35 to 50K, you need new springs! If you like the ride, use OEM. Most replacements will make the front "stiffer"!
Rear spring upgrade with the stainless preset hose upgrade. Is the installation difficult? How did it affect the ride quality?
Again, suspensions wear out. Another place for an OEM spring and shock. There should be no reason to need to replace the hose. BTW, if you don't already, set the preload on 25 and leave it there.
Don't get me wrong I like the ride of my wing now. But I think it can be better. I'm over six ft tall and three hundred lbs. the wife is about one fifty. We haven't added any gear for a long ride but now it feels like the suspension has just about all it can handle now. Any comments are welcome.

Ride safe
Scooter

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am

Bike now just getting 10k on it

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 am

Scooter363y wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am
Bike now just getting 10k on it
All you should need at this point is to set the preload at 25(if you haven't already) and ride!!!
When my 06 was new, I tried a lot of different preloads for solo and 2 up. Wife wasn't to happy with the ride! Then read a thread on another forum, posted by Tom Finch, owner of TailWind. A man much wiser than most. His thread discussed and explained the 1800 rear suspension design and explained why one should set preload at 25 and leave it there.
I did this and the first time my wife rode she asked what I did to improve the ride>> 'nough said!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 am

Not to be negative, but your very statement of set preload to 25 and leave it there, tells everyone the suspension is not working correctly. The standard rear spring rate is too soft, this means the bike collapses under it's own weight and you have to apply loads of preload to try and get the suspension back to a mid point. A new rear shock (NOT HONDA) will run stiffer spring so you can run with much less preload and have some adjustment left for when you ride solo, two-up or touring and fully loaded. I fitted the Progressive rear shock and the handling improvement was colossal, I am 6'2" and 180lbs, the bike sits about 1 inch higher at the seat, this is a problem for people with short legs, but as Scooter has indicated he is over 6' tall, this will not be an issue. That extra inch makes a big difference in corner clearance, makes it much easier to put on the center stand and because the suspension settings are much closer to mid point, gives a much nicer ride. I suspect it also quickens the steering a tiny amount, but I couldn't tell any difference. I also found I disliked the feel of the front end when braking and again it seemed very soft under normal riding, so new springs up front also improved the ride (along with disabling the anti-dive), however Scooter asks specifically about the monotubes and I have no experience with that, but in general I have found upgrading the front and rear suspension on my wing to be very beneficial, the ride became smoother and the handling much better than stock despite using stiffer springs?

I have no idea if a braided hydraulic line on the rear shock makes any difference as I have not tried it, it certainly cant hurt, but whether it's worth the cost and effort I can't say.

Gary

bhulse
Motorcycle: '03' 1800A
Durango Red
Double Darksider

Post by bhulse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Scooter363y wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Getting the forks on and off my '03" was more difficult than installing the new Progressive monotubes. (Instructions were concise!) Used to bottom out the OEM springs frequently although I'm not an aggressive rider and ONLY ride one up. (I'm 190lbs) Front end increased stiffness has not delivered a harsher ride but now I feel irregularities on the road surface but enjoy a more responsive ride. (responsive=handlebar control and feedback that is POSITIVE, not vague)

Rear spring upgrade with the stainless preset hose upgrade. Was the installation difficult? How did it affect the ride quality?
Put a '15' low mileage OEM shock from a trike take off with a new Progressive 1200lb spring on the rear and run my pre-load at #20. (sag test pointed to that number and it has proven out to be just the right amount of suspension needed for my speed, road and habits) DID NOT opt for a replacement pre-load hose because too many experts have written that the old hose doesn't 'swell'. (no obvious cracks or wear was evident) I did 'overfill' the pump to get immediate pre-load from #1. Mounting the new spring to the '15' shock assembly was a piece of cake using web straps and a simple floor jack. Hard part was getting the gas tank out and back in! Stiffened up the rear suspension (I adjusted the swing-arm bearings) but again the rear was more compliant, actually rode less harsh than the old '03' shock and OEM 900lb spring I removed! I did a few more modifications but believe the combination of Progressive monotubes and stiffer rear spring IMPROVED my ride quality and was well worth the expense. I was hoping for a less expensive suspension upgrade than the Traxxion offering and in my mind got most of the results that package offers.

Consider this: Race Tech or Traxxion springs (tailored to your weight and riding habits) Forget the monotubes. And disabling the anti-dive valve. (but that's a whole different discussion)

Ride safe
Scooter

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am

Scooter363y - any update on your suspension issue?

Have read your thread several times as I have an '08 1800 that I have installed the Traxxion suspension upgrade on, expensive, but worth every penny.

I relate the suspension to that of my car. You go in for new tires for whatever reason and you always find posters, mock-ups of the suspension system, and how it affects tires and ride quality. If your tires exhibit certain wear patterns, the tire shop will tell you that unless the defective parts are renewed, you will continue to have the same issue again, and the shop is more than happy to sell you another set of tires.

As tfdeputydawg mentions, suspensions get soft and wear out. No number of aftermarket add-ons will change this fact. The suspension is the only system that keeps your tires firmly planted on the road. "Cupping" of the tire can be directly related to your suspension. You may not feel it, but tires will vibrate on the road, and slide in corners causing the effect that you see. May not be the only reason, but it is a primary one.

The suspension on the 1800 with one fork taking all the road damping and the other doing the anti-dive function, you can imagine why the suspension wears out quickly. When I bought mine 2 years ago and did the research on issues, suspension, tires were at the top of a lot of lists as concern(s). Changed the suspension, customized the seat to fit me and all has been good. Also realized that Honda has installed a suspension system that is good from the factory, but give no guarantee on longevity - cost benefit ratio - least expensive suspension to give a few good years until warranty finishes. I understand this from a business perspective, but not good from a consumer perspective.

I had a discussion with Traxxion this year regarding maintenance of its suspension. In the years, more than ten, that it has been upgrading 1800s, there have been no issues with its suspension going soft/wearing out. I think this is more the riders than its suspension because nothing lasts forever.

I trust you got your issue fixed and are still happy with the 1800.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Not much happening right now, I'm in Florida escaping those harsh Ohio winters. I have made some decisions on what I'm going to do.

I'm going to go with the mono tube up grades . I think this should even out forces in the front forks resulting in a better ride.

I think I will upgrade the spring and hose on the rear .

This seems to the best "bang for the buck".

Ride safe
Scooter

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 am

Scooter363y wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm
Not much happening right now, I'm in Florida escaping those harsh Ohio winters. I have made some decisions on what I'm going to do.

I'm going to go with the mono tube up grades . I think this should even out forces in the front forks resulting in a better ride.

I think I will upgrade the spring and hose on the rear .

This seems to the best "bang for the buck".

Ride safe
Scooter
You got out just in time - it's 15 degrees here and snowing!

The rear hose upgrade will bring back your preload, that's a cheap fix that will make a definite difference when you're carrying a load. Do let us know what you think of the fork upgrades once you have them in.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

The stainless hose is not necessary,just make sure the system is full.Did a lot of reading on this before I did any mods on mine.The heavier rear spring is definitely a must.My pump was starting at approx 7 before I upgraded and filled the pump/shock ass. and now it starts right away(0-1).It hasn't changed in the 5 years since I did it and that's 98% 2-up riding.The general consensus on most of the forums is that IF the hose does stretch at all it only goes so far and stays there.The other thing that most agree on is that the system on most 1800's was never filled properly from the factory.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm understanding the temperature differences as we are currently in Ohio with the family celebrating "Thankmas" We will be heading south on Thursday.

I'm not having any problems with the rear shock preload. The bike just went past 12k miles. So nothing is worn out, just while I'm replacing the spring I might as well do the hose as long as I'm back there.

I would like to replace all of the rubber hoses with stainless hoses, but that's a lot of money right now. Maybe in the future! I know how much of a difference it has made in other bikes with that change!

Rome wasn't built in a day!

Ride safe
Scooter