Passenger Buffeting

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
topgun
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Re: Passenger Buffeting

Post by topgun » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 am

Good demo here to get an idea.

grwsystems
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by grwsystems » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 am

My passenger will highly recommend the Taka windshield from Long Ride Shields. It has a recurve lip at the top which totally eliminated the buffeting she felt with the stock windshield, regardless of the height I set it at. It also has a slightly wider form, with a very subtle flare out along the sides. Now she has no wind, either over the top or from the sides. When Mama's happy, life is good!
Lots of different bikes, then
1985 GL1200 Aspencade, then
1999 GL1800 SE, then
2012 GL1800. Better every time!

mcpenner
Motorcycle: 1996 gl500 SE

Post by mcpenner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:10 am

Oddly enough my passenger has never complained too much about buffeting. I couldn't stand it especially when riding solo. Tried the air wings with no discernible improvement. I had found the Madstad windshield eliminated buffeting on my V-strom so I ordered one for the goldwing. I wouldn't say it eliminated the buffeting but it is well within comfortable range now and I can achieve this will looking over the top of the windshield. The science behind the Madstad is solid - eliminate the vacuum = eliminate the problem.

https://madstad.com/collections/honda/p ... 00-2001-up

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 am

Gildco, I had the same problems as you when I upgraded to my '08 Wing. I bought it used about 60k miles ago and I still love it. Mine had the Baker Wings when I bought it, so I really don't know how it feels without them. My '06 HD Road King didn't have them, but the Wing and the Road King are two different animals.

The first "buffeting" issue for my Navi-gatrix was when I bought a Nolan helmet. We had not ridden two blocks before she was telling me the wind was just "tunneling" right into her face. Nothing had changed except the helmet. I bought an F4+4 windshield and it solved the problem 100%. The added protection from the rain was a pleasant bonus for me. And by the way, the F4 people are some of the friendliest and most customer friendly people I have ever dealt with.

Hope this helps.....Ride SAFE!

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

becorson
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing ABS

Post by becorson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 am

I have an F4 high windshield and love it. However, my wife was still being buffeted. When she's riding, if I were to go a mile above 60, she feels it and hits me on the shoulder. She is taller than me, which I think makes a difference. I had installed the Baker Air Wings hoping they would help. While I like them for other reasons, they didn't affect the rear passenger buffeting.

Anyway, in preparation for a trip to Colorado, I bought a rear windshield from WindWings. (WindWings.net) Straightforward to put on, and made all the difference in the world. While she doesn't like be doing 80, it has nothing to do with buffeting.

PS Don't be put off by the WindWings.net website. Needs a lot of work, but their rear windshield is great.

Lynnmarn
Motorcycle: Motorcycles I have owned
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Post by Lynnmarn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:56 pm

I have a 2006 goldwing purchased used about 3 years ago. My wife has never complained about wind buffeting and I believe it is because of the small square plastic guards attached under both mirrors. Mine are gold in color and transparent. See attached picture.
Attachments

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Many years ago, I needed a replacement windshield for my GL1200. Since Tulsa (long gone now) had a great reputation and my wife had been complaining of wind, I bought the Tulsa 'Extra Tall' Windshield.

With the extra tall (about 3" taller), I found the wind pushed against the back of my helmet rather than across the top, making it slightly less comfortable for me to ride due to having to hold my head back rather than hold it forward. It was a mixed bag for my wife. She got less wind force, but much more erratic buffeting. Basically, prior to the tall windshield, she had the wind constantly pushing her head back. But with the tall windshield it would sometimes push back, sometimes push forward, sometimes push left, and sometimes push right - it all depended on which way the wind was blowing. And since the wind never blows steadily, she got pushed around every which way every few seconds. Thus, overall, I think she preferred the standard height windshield - which is still much taller than what the majority of bikes on the road have.

Of course, YMMV, since there is a significant variance in height of riders and passengers.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

I see one or two of you still mention too much buffeting at highway speeds greater than 60mph. For those of you with shields 3-4 inches greater than stock or more, how does the shield itself do? I mean, is there much flexing or vibrating because of the taller shield and high wind force? I'm thinking that since the F4 +4 is not adjustable that what is down inside the fairing goes all the way down and therefore fairly stable even at speeds from 60-80 or maybe even 90 mph. Would this be correct?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:52 am

C-dub wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm
I see one or two of you still mention too much buffeting at highway speeds greater than 60mph. For those of you with shields 3-4 inches greater than stock or more, how does the shield itself do? I mean, is there much flexing or vibrating because of the taller shield and high wind force? I'm thinking that since the F4 +4 is not adjustable that what is down inside the fairing goes all the way down and therefore fairly stable even at speeds from 60-80 or maybe even 90 mph. Would this be correct?
I have a Tall Tulsa on my bike, and it does not move at 70 mph.

blackbird
Motorcycle: 1966 305 Scrambler
1968 Trail 90
1970 Trail 90
1995 Pacific Coast
1983 GL1100A
2008 GL 1800

Post by blackbird » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

My co-rider and bride of many years endured quite a bit of buffeting riding our various bikes. After quite a few rides on the '08-1800, I purchased a Taka windshield from Long Ride shields. It has reduced the buffeting the co-rider experiences by probably 90%. That has been a significant improvement.

Blackwing_Jack
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800C

Post by Blackwing_Jack » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 am

Hi - I can't comment on the passenger buffeting issue because I never carry one!

However, on the center stand, I installed the Baker 'Center Replacement Stand' because I am a 9 stone weakling and could not persuade the bike to climb on to the OEM stand.
Now I can not only put the bike on the stand - fairly easily - but I have the option of reversing it on to the stand whilst still sitting on the bike.
Job done!
http://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetai ... rod=H18CRS

P.S. I have just fitted a Madstad 14" shield as I hated the turbulence of the OEM screen in the driver's seat. I have only had the one ride home with it so far but I could hold my hand in front of my face at 60-70 mph and feel NO wind at all.
So I'm cautiously optimistic that I have solved the turbulence problem as well....

(2012 Goldwing 1800)

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:00 am

You can also try opening the windshield vent slightly. It will relieve the negative pressure in the cockpit area changing the airflow.

ron.feenstra
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 A

Post by ron.feenstra » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 pm

My wife was having the same issues on our '07. I have a stock windshield and having it on the highest setting makes a difference but after much investigation of 'where is the wind coming from' we found it was coming around the fairing below the windshield/mirrors. She felt like the helmet was being lifted off her head which puts strain on the neck, etc. I'm not a blingy or chrome guy, so we chose the kuryakyn dragon wings. They are smoked and look great and work well too. On the hot days you just open the vents for as much air flow as you need. Enjoy your riding!! The wing is awesome.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I had the Tulsa Tall, the stock shield (that I hated because of the buffeting), and lately, I think I have a winner! Before I go on about the new shield, I want to say that the Tulsa shield, while really tall, was also HOT to ride behind. Wind was blocked too well, and the passenger never really benefited from the tall shield as far as buffeting was concerned.
What I did was really cheap to do (I mean it was cheap and only cost me about 2 hours of my time start to finish.
I'm a toolmaker, machinist and machine builder for the last 45 years and have access to machinery to make just about anything, and tons of materials too. I grabbed a piece of 1/8" polycarbonate (LEXAN type material) and made what you see in the attached pics (*see NOTE below). I turned some spacers from black CELCON to space the piece I made 1/2" in front of the stock windshield. I used the stock windshield since I didn't want to drill any holes in my nice Tulsa Tall :?
Anyway, I used the stock shield as a guide to trace out a template onto some poster board and to make a shape that you see*, and also was used to place the holes symmetrically and straight.
I cut it out on the bandsaw and buffed the edges with a NORTON wheel.
After I got it all bolted on, I took the significant other out for a ride without telling her what I did. I didn't have to say anything as she was able to tell how nice the ride was without all the buffeting. She's a total believer and That makes me happy :P
Steve F

*NOTE: I'm editing this post to say that I have tried at least 5 or 6 times to upload photos to this post. Every time I tried, I get the message that the files are too large and that they must be less that (such and such) which they are, (and they're only 43Kb or there abouts, and only 300 pixels wide).
If anyone wants to see pics of what I did, PM me with your email address and I'll send them that way.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Here's the pictures Steve was trying to attach:
Attachments