Reverse light blinking very fast

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
amigoss
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Goldwing

Reverse light blinking very fast

Postby amigoss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Good day everybody,
I,m a new member since July 2010 and yesterday, I,ve change my battery since it was no good anymore and when I installed the new one, the reverse light in the dash started blinking rapidely and the neutral light is also appearing on an off, it,s intermittant problem and, my motorcycle will not start. Has anyone ever had a similar problem. Thanks

Michel Gosselin (Amigoss)

amigoss

Re: Reverse light blinking very fast

Postby amigoss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:19 pm

I forgot to tell you, I own a 2002 Goldwing 1800.

Amigoss

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm

There are quite a few things that can cause this (looking at the reverse switch is a good one), but it CAN be caused by low battery voltage. Have you made sure the new battery is fully charged?

Dola Compton
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Navi

Postby Dola Compton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:15 pm

First thing I'd check is polarity, make sure you have the battery in the correct way. Second thing, be sure the cables are clean and tight on both ends. If it still wont start, put it on a slow charge for a few hours. Dola.

amigoss

Postby amigoss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:There are quite a few things that can cause this (looking at the reverse switch is a good one), but it CAN be caused by low battery voltage. Have you made sure the new battery is fully charged?

The reverse switch is the original, yesterday my battery was dead and it did not have enough voltage so I bought a new one that was fully charged, the charger is still on it and when I've tried to start it up the reverse light (Yellow) started to blink very fast, the neutral light (Green) come one and off intermittently. I,ve read somewhere that we can do a reprogramming of the computer by starting the motorcycle, what for the fan to start twice, then turn off the ignition but it did not do anything. Both lights are flashing constantly. Thanks for your help.
Amigoss

chrisgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby chrisgl1800 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 am

Awhile back I had a similar event to yours...I had the positive on the negative post, and the negative on the positive post. Be careful, you can cause serious problems if it is hooked up wrong.
chrisgl1800
chrisgl1800
Previous rides: 2004 HD Softail; 2006 HD Streetglide; 2009 GL1800
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.lubedealer.com/crawford

amigoss

Postby amigoss » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:04 am

chrisgl1800 wrote:Awhile back I had a similar event to yours...I had the positive on the negative post, and the negative on the positive post. Be careful, you can cause serious problems if it is hooked up wrong.
chrisgl1800

No, it,s connected correctly.

amigoss

Re: Reverse light blinking/flashing very fast

Postby amigoss » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Reverse light blinking/flashing very fast
When I was turning on the ignition key, the reverse light started to flash/blink rapidly, a click was heard in the alarm system and when it stopped, the neutral green light came on and I was able to start the motorcycle, but the reverse light was always blinking/flashing fast.
Good news, a friend of mine, Herb Lang came to my house last Thursday and did all the checks needed to be done according to the Honda’s owner’s manual.
Verifying each relay on the motorcycle one after the other one and all of them were working correctly.
He then decides to disconnect all connections that had been added to the battery system and reconnect only the battery. Hooray, the problem was solved but not identify since all I had added was disconnected.
He added one by one connection that I had added to the battery system, heating jackets and the Viper alarm system etc. Once again the problem reappeared and the light kept on blinking and same symptoms.
When the alarm system Viper was disconnected, everything worked properly. I went out twice since and everything is correct without the alarm system. The problem is in the alarm but was not identified. Thanks again for everybody who did reply to my problem. I will get in touch with Viper...

Amigoss

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”