Slight odor of gasoline

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Tagg
Motorcycle: 1994 GoldWing 1500

Slight odor of gasoline

Post by Tagg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Just got back from MYR Fall Rally 2017. I noticed a slight odor of gasoline while driving for the past couple of days in the high temps of Myrtle Beach. Got back to the Pittsburgh area about 6:00 pm tonight and still noticed the odor. The bike is a 2009 GL1800 and is running great, 75-80 mph all the way. Temperatures where hot this afternoon and was just wondering if it was possibly coming from the gastank cap ( Venting ) or possible areas of leakage ? Thanks.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Slight odor of gasoline

Post by themainviking » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:19 am

Did you overfill your tank even once, and get a bit of gasoline residue under the locking lid? The venting that the cap does is one way - in - I believe, so you should not get fumes from the tank. Other than that, perhaps you are just sensitive to the smell of gasoline. I have splashed or foamed some gas into the area under my lid, and I smell gas pretty much off and on all the time for days after, even though I used paper towels at the gas station to soak up any that was sitting there.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:55 am

Also, if you overfilled the tank, you may have flooded the evap canister. It will eventually dry out.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Not uncommon when temps are hot and when one tends to overfill the gas tank. Like mentioned previously the Evap canister can receive overflowed fuel and when you shut down the engine heat causes it to outgas and it becomes noticeable once you stop, worse if you park in a garage before its blown off. Now if it persists it may be worth ensuring the Evap canister's hoses are not pinched to plugged. There are three, one from the fuel tank that is open and you can blow through when your gas cap is off, one that is a short 90 degrees open hose to outgas when the engine is not running (this is likely the source of what you smell), and one that returns to the throttle body and sucks the evap canister contents through for combustion (there is a valve that shuts this line off until the bike is running and I think up to temperature as well). Unless you've worked around these hoses they are usually no issue but could have come off the canister. The canister is behind the lower cowl and in front of the Clutch slave cylinder so it may have been disturbed when flushing bleeding your clutch fluid. I would suspect its outgassing from a hot day overfill, My hoses are fine on a 2002, so on a 2009 you would have to have had critter damage or and oversight in maintenance to cause an issue with them, I'd just check the tank one is clear and the other side sucks when the bike running and warmed up. You're not alone.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 176000K Love this bike!!!!!

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:47 am

I had a gas odor on road and really terrible in the garage a few years back. I found the evap tube from the tank to the EVAP solenoid had gone bad. The ends had got stretched and a bit loose.