2006 Goldwing cooling fans

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 176000K Love this bike!!!!!

2006 Goldwing cooling fans

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Me like a lot of other 1800 riders have had issues with the cooling fan not staying on long enough. Recently while lane splitting in CA I was going about 20MPH and that's not fast enough to keep the temp from rising. Also have this problem climbing a steep mountain grade stuck behind Ma and Pa kettle lumbering along with their GIANT motorhome. I have heard of adding a switch to engage the cooling fans when ever they are needed.

So has anyone done this on their 2006? Could really use a diagram.
Thanks!

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: 2006 Goldwing cooling fans

Post by 702scottc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 am

You simply need to ground the cooling fan relay with a simple rocker switch. The ground wire at the relay is brown with a red tracer ( only wire that color feeding the relay). One side of the switch to the affore mentioned wire, the other side of the switch to a frame ground. This will override the ECM ground anytime the switch is used, when not in use the fans will work as designed. I've already tried it on my 2005 and it works fine. I haven't made it permanent yet, I'll mount a switch next time I have the shelter off to replace the air filter. If you look at the wiring diagram you can also ground the wire at the ECM rather than run a wire down the side to the relay box. The wire color doesn't change at the ECM . This where I tested mine. I would suggest downloading a repair manual, all the wiring schematics are there. I like this solution because no disassembly is needed or modification to the the fans. The OE setup works fine most of the time but there are those occurrences where a bypass switch is better than stopping to let the fans run.

Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 176000K Love this bike!!!!!

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 am

Good idea only going as far as the ECM to ground it out.
Thank you for responding!!!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 am

How long has it been since you flushed and replace the coolant??
Have you checked the thermostat?

702scottc
2005 GL1800

Post by 702scottc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:04 pm

It made sense to me when I looked at how the system works. All the ECM does is supply a ground path for the relay based on temperature and or speed. Interrupting the ground path with an external ground doesn't effect how the system operates normally and won't effect the ECM. Just need to remember to switch it off when you don't need fans. Running the fans over 25 or 30 mph could likely cause the engine to run hot. It's designed to have air forced thru the front and out the sides when the fans are off. Don't cut the ground wire to install the bypass, just strip back some insulation and solder your bypass to the existing wire. Then insulate it and your all set.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm

I have faced this with my 2002 wile trailering in the South West, I am commonly riding in 100+ temps. Its really not that the fans are shutting off to soon, they turn off at 30 mph. What is happening is the fans are sucking cooler external air through the radiator from the outside and pushing it forward out the front of the bike and are being over powered by the air flow in the front starting when you moving about 15 to 20mph. This stagnates the airflow through the radiators and of course engine temp rises and starts to overheat. Honda's concept was to pull the cooler outside air through the radiators and eject it forward instead of pulling the hot engine air and pushing it out through the radiators. Many have reversed the GL1800 fans' rotation but the blades are curved and not as efficient when electrically reversed. Later 1800s have larger radiators and better handle this "parade mode" over heating issue but none truly immune. Ensuring the fans are working, that the coolant is good quality, full, fully flushed and cycling properly is really about the only precautions you can do for the stock 1800; the next best option seems to be reversing the fan rotation, but it robs Peter to pay Paul as cooing will be less efficient at walking speeds but better at 15mph and up. I find easing off the throttle and down shifting cools things a bit by decreasing the heat generated and cycling coolant faster; I also avoid prolonged parade mode speeds when its hot out.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 pm

PastoT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm
... Its really not that the fans are shutting off to soon, they turn off at 30 mph.
Actually, the fans shut down at a forward speed of 15 mph. I've witnessed that frequently on my 2003. I can hear the fans start and stop at 15 mph. Yours may be different but I think all USA models are were made the same.
PastoT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm
... Later 1800s have larger radiators and better handle this "parade mode" over heating issue but none truly immune.
From what I understand, the larger radiators came into play with the 2006 and later models.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Larger radiators in 2006 makes was what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I was hesitant to say fans turned off at 30 as I've read 15 also (a lot, but its not mentioned in the service manual) and thought it may have been the change to the earlier models that involved an correction ECU or swap for the overheating issue I thought it was a recall but can't find one... maybe a Service Bulletin or something. When Its hot my fans power up right about 28mph as I slow down, I assume they turn off at the same speed, but I can't hear them while accelerating. It didn't dawn on me it might not be a standard; really makes me wonder about my ECU history now! Still there is a certain point the fans are useless and airflow coming in the front equals that which the fans are blowing forward. I've been fortunate that my 02 only starts to over heat when I'm limited to 20-25mph and its near 100 degrees. It might be worth flushing the cooling system just in case a non-silicate free coolant led to some buildup in the system.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 am

Now I can't sleep wondering about my ECU and its settings! Anyway I read on another forum where a overheating plagued owner mounted ancillary cooling fans on the outside of the radiators and used them to boost the force of the stock fans but they were still blowing in and were manually powered on or off. The original poster said his issue is at 20mph and at that speed the fans are shut off based on a 15-18 mph shut off speed. I could see installing a second pair of fans out side the radiators that are oriented to pull air through the radiators from the front, thus assisting the natural airflow streaming in from the front. One can't just turn the fans on and overpower the air coming in the front, you need to supplement the little air coming in front at 20mph to increase the flow through the radiators; a second set of manually operated fans blowing out the sides might be the safest option if all else is working as designed by mother Honda. The rider I was reading about used 5" 12volt slim fans, but they were visible through the radiator vents so -1 for appearance +1 for cooling. These fans are a bit pricey but might do the trick (Google "low profile 5" radiator fans"). In my case I need to shut down the fans earlier at times as my fan cut-off is higher, so I'm thinking a of a circuit that manually disables them but with a timer that limits the duration.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

702scottc
2005 GL1800

Post by 702scottc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 am

I've read of some interesting ideas to try and solve this issue. Adding fans or reversing fan blades won't solve it, the issue is simply that the fans shut off at to low of a speed to handle the engine heat load in slow moving traffic.Why Honda hasn't changed the program to a higher cut off speed is a question to the engineers. The easiest fix is to override the fan relay ground with a switch. Then you can run the cooling fans when you need them and keep the oem setup that works fine.

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I have to agree to a certain point. Early 1800 ECUs are not flash-able, but I'm already questioning the history of my bike, If I have an over heating issue its closer to 25mph. Years ago I had an occasion to be without helmet or radio on a very hot summer trip and noticed a noise that turned out to be the fans spinning up just as I slowed below 30 (best guess is 28mph). It simply doesn't jive with everything else I've read about 15-18. But as a result my bike's fans seem over powered by incoming air near 25 mph regardless. I seriously think my ECU is a modified or updated version, but the result just changed the speed where it tends to run hot, if the ambient is near 100. Its really to bad Honda didn't make the fans automatically reverse once above a predetermined speed, but there are a lot of variables in that determining that speed range also (head wind, tail wind, ambient temp, throttle position, RPM, Load, etc.) I really think they should have just let them blow outward from the get go. Fortunately I haven't had it become a big issue, I know if its hot and I'm towing or under load that I need to accommodate and plan for it at certain speeds.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm

PastoT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 pm
Larger radiators in 2006 makes was what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I was hesitant to say fans turned off at 30 as I've read 15 also (a lot, but its not mentioned in the service manual) and thought it may have been the change to the earlier models that involved an correction ECU or swap for the overheating issue I thought it was a recall but can't find one... maybe a Service Bulletin or something.
I know it is not mentioned in the service manual, seems like a lot of things are not there.
But, the ECM Replacement/Cooling System Product Improvement Campaign Service Bulletin # GL1800/A #13 is here --> http://www.gwrra-waa.org/pdf/1800SB13.pdf

Several months ago I found and downloaded all the Service and Tech bulletins that I could find for the GL1500 and GL1800 and put them on our GWRRA chapters website.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 pm

At one time, I installed the cooling fans on the outside of the radiators on my '03 but never really had an opportunity to test them. I had an accident with the bike that totaled it due to parts and labor costs. I rebuilt the bike for about $10,000 less than the estimate got it back to factory specs. I never put the fans back in because I had read that the fans I had installed were susceptible to heat prostration. I figured I'd tuff it out.

Then, last August while riding two up pulling a cargo trailer over Lookout Pass between Idaho and Montana in 90 degree weather, the bike overheated.

We were in a line of about 20 vehicles going uphill behind a very slow truck doing about 20 to 30 mph. There was absolutely no where to pull out. The lane was bordered by concrete barriers. The temp climbed to above the H. She puked fluid before I could get over the top of the pass but she made it okay. Once on the other side, she cooled down and we rode into St. Regis for the night. I had to put in two liters of distilled water to fill it and the reservoir back up. The system only holds 3.8 liters.

Anyway, this winter I will install a switch to energize the relay to run the fans when needed. I'll add an LED somewhere to give me an indication that the switch is on, just have to think about LED location.

The fan control relay is relay #3 and the Br/R (Brown with Red trace) wire is the one that needs to have the ground switched to turn the fans on. It is controlled by the ECM.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Holy cow, that's a lot of coolant to lose! Mine has only hit the "H" 3 times and only briefly all in miserable 110+ conditions. Once with my camper in trail on I-17 IU got held back behind 20 miles of vehicles crawling past a traffic accident in AZ, there I had pull over issues and no-place safe but slowed down to 15 and the fans started winning the war for me. I new there was an SB I'd read, still never found mention of the cut on/off mph. I've some work to do on my wing this weekend and I think I'll investigate if anything was done that doesn't belong un der the shelter (at least things that I didn't do myself). I live ins a small town and rarely have to worry about traffic so even with a 25mph speed limit I slow just a bit and the fans do there job well so far, it took 3 years for me to ever see the temp gauge exceed just below 50% (I thought it was broke for years... LOL).
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Asphaltmaniac

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Took the advice given, wired up a ground switch up by the bikes ECU. Works beautifully and I can turn on the fans at will. But since its now late Oct, any real world testing up mountain road/lane splitting in CA central valley summer heat testing wont happen until next year.

Asphaltmaniac

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 pm
At one time, I installed the cooling fans on the outside of the radiators on my '03 but never really had an opportunity to test them. I had an accident with the bike that totaled it due to parts and labor costs. I rebuilt the bike for about $10,000 less than the estimate got it back to factory specs. I never put the fans back in because I had read that the fans I had installed were susceptible to heat prostration. I figured I'd tuff it out.

Then, last August while riding two up pulling a cargo trailer over Lookout Pass between Idaho and Montana in 90 degree weather, the bike overheated.

We were in a line of about 20 vehicles going uphill behind a very slow truck doing about 20 to 30 mph. There was absolutely no where to pull out. The lane was bordered by concrete barriers. The temp climbed to above the H. She puked fluid before I could get over the top of the pass but she made it okay. Once on the other side, she cooled down and we rode into St. Regis for the night. I had to put in two liters of distilled water to fill it and the reservoir back up. The system only holds 3.8 liters.

Anyway, this winter I will install a switch to energize the relay to run the fans when needed. I'll add an LED somewhere to give me an indication that the switch is on, just have to think about LED location.

The fan control relay is relay #3 and the Br/R (Brown with Red trace) wire is the one that needs to have the ground switched to turn the fans on. It is controlled by the ECM.
4get the LED fans are noisy enough you wont forget. ha!

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 pm
4get the LED fans are noisy enough you wont forget. ha!
You are probably right but I do love a good indicator light. I was thinking of putting it behind the left speaker grill. Invisible when it is off.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Kurt J
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800a

Post by Kurt J » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

I have put rocker switches on all me bikes. I wire them in right at the relay in the rad. If it has a 1 wire relay at the rad. then just tap into it one one side of the rocker and ground the other side of the rocker switch. If it has a 2 wire relay tap in to both side of the relay and run each wire to the rocker switch. Now you can turn the fans on and off any time you want. also the fans will still go on and off when the bike trips them.

Kurt J
Mind over Matter:
You don't mind , it don't matter..... :D

Asphaltmaniac

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 am

I try too keep my wiring to a minimum when ever possible. Makes removing plastic bits so much easier when its maintenance time.