Rivco Isolator - Hitch Wiring Question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Rivco Isolator - Hitch Wiring Question

Post by kwthom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Okay - somebody has got to have one of these loose - I need a five minute look and an answer. You'll have my gratitude (and a cold drink of your choice when we meet)

I'm getting a Rivco GL18007-38 harness for a 2012 - up Goldwing. I'm going to re-use the old isolator Rivco that I have, using the same Sumimoto (a.k.a. Hitachi) 4-pin connector currently used on the isolator they provide today.

On the bike-side harness, there's that four pin connector - here's the wiring harness diagram, slightly modified.

In this photo, I see the blue and green wire, but can't see the brown and yellow.

I'd like to find out...looking at the face of the connector (the wires face away from you), and orienting the latch at the 12-o'clock position, as you see in the photo, blue on the left, green on the right.

Which side is the brown wire in the connector position? lower left or right?

Thanks!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Re: Rivco Isolator - Hitch Wiring Question

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I just can't believe that they would cross the colors up like that.

A disaster in the making for sure.

If that is a standard Rivco product diagram, I would run away from it...

My trailer is wired Color to Color straight from the bike direct to the trailer's lights without the use of an isolator.

I don't feel it is necessary....

In fact, I once installed the isolator and the 5 to 4 wire converter from CycleMax and it lasted all of two weeks. It burned up when I was using the Emergency Flashers during a stop on the side of the road.

A couple of days later, at a rally, we had an impromptu repair session and stripped out all of that stuff and wired as I mentioned. Not a single problem since then.

In the video I link to, you can see that I can have the Emergency Flashers in operation, the brake lights being on a separate circuit just like they are on the bike. show up as MORE LIGHTS.

This has proven to me over the last two years, that it is immensely more effective than using the standard 4 wire setup. I also have a Strobe in the center between the brake lights. 10 flashes and goes solid.

Folks back off from me, and wait to see what I am up to. a Win Win situation...

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Hmmm...

Well, it worked flawlessly on the original bike I had it in. As I wrote, I'm reclaiming the isolator to use on the new bike.

You're right, with a trailer with LED's, there's not much of a load. What happens if a tow was needed for a trailer that had incandescent lighting?

Yes, that's Rivco's original sketch, but I did remove the Honda interconnections from the circuit drawing for the purposes of trying to better describe the harnessing configuration.

Once I have the tools, and connectors, it'll be wired so that it works, regardless of the color scheme chosen originally - the same way you're told on how to wire a trailer.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 am

On the 2012, I would order the Kuryakyn 3230 adapter. It plugs in under the seat and is sort of a breakout harness. Gives you all the wires needed to connect to the isolator directly, except for the 12 volt source which is hard wired to the battery. Here's the link to the instructions:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/insta ... L-0112.pdf

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:51 pm

These connectors are made by humans, and humans can make mistakes. I always check the connectors I get (the ones I use for the GPS Input devices) because I have had two of them arrive with one of the connectors with the wires in the wrong places. Now when I get a shipment of connectors, I sit down and examine every one of them, just to be sure.

kwthom

Post by kwthom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Brown on the left, yellow on the right.

Two days of work to get the hitch installed, the wiring done for both my aux lighting *and* the trailer.