2004 WING WITH CSC CONVERSION STARTER PROBLEMS

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
JimGarrett
Motorcycle: 2004 GOLDWING CSC, 1300 VTX R, VLX600

2004 WING WITH CSC CONVERSION STARTER PROBLEMS

Post by JimGarrett » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 pm

First let me say hello. Although I visit frequently for information I just took the plunge and signed up. Hopefully someone can help me with a problem. I have a problem with a machine that just doesn't want to stop. If it were a college football team we'd win the NC every year (sorry Bama). The only way to shut it down is to get the side cover off and disconnect the ground. By this time I need new starter relays and every other time a new starter. I wrote the NSTA to complain about the safety issue but I still need a fix. What I'm wondering is if the originally relays are now too small given the weight difference and frequency of reverse use. I'm wondering if installing larger relays say in the 100 amp range would help? In addition I plan on using a large solenoid to disconnect the ground from the battery in an emergency. It could be easily controlled by a small switch in the glove compartment and allow a shut down without getting off the bike, taking covers off and disconnecting the ground wire. None of this is so bad but I'm getting older and running along side the bike while doing this is a real strain on the ole body. Any advice would be appreciated.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Re: 2004 WING WITH CSC CONVERSION STARTER PROBLEMS

Post by PastoT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 pm

First off, welcome to the board. In all likely hood it has little to do with your conversion and that may be confusing the issue. If your starter button on the right hand POD sticks the current running through the starter relays will melt their plastic cores and jam the relay plungers in the start up position. In turn that keeps the starter running after the motor has started, and if that isn't caught in a reasonable time frame the starter will also run and not be heard overtop the engine idle or otherwise. I have replaced both my starter relays and feared for my starter as well after my starter button was found hanging up. My starter survived.

To resolve I've cleaned the starter switch to stop the occurrence and still instinctively flip it outward with my thumb now to this day. The same sticking situation can prevent your headlights from powering up after start up. I've not done it but with care you can disassemble the switch pod and formally clean the actual switch parts and contacts (watch for and prepare something to catch little parts and springs). I and many others use CRC to spray out the grime and dust that works its way into the innards of our switches, its available at auto parts stores and is plastic safe.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

JimGarrett

Post by JimGarrett » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Sorry I don't speak Arabic.

JimGarrett

Post by JimGarrett » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 pm

First thank you to both of you who took your time to help. The relays sound sooooo good. I replaced all 18 of the original relays, 3 CSC relays, start and reverse relays. I'm considering the reverse switch on the side of the engine since the only way to stop it is to disconnect the ground wire from the battery. I have also purchased a battery disconnect to mount in the glove compartment (unlocked of course)thinking I can kill the starter while I look for a pull over place. I've got to have some relief 3 starters in a year has hit the pocket hard. It now has 36k on it so by the time it gets to 100k I'll have more in starters than the bike cost new. I have a VTX that has never had a problem since day one and now after parking it beside the the CSC Goldspender it has started too?