2016 GL1800 INTERMITTANT REVERSE

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
PEANUTY
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800P CSC Trike

2016 GL1800 INTERMITTANT REVERSE

Post by PEANUTY » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Hello everybody. I am new to the Forum and I am hoping I can get some help. I have experience with machine electrical ladder diagrams, but the official honda GL1800 2010 - 2016 manual has me scratching my head. I have a 2016 Audio Comfort with only 2500 miles on it. I bought it new from a Roadsmith dealer with the Trike kit already on it, and that dealer is not a Honda dealer. This is my second trike and I have done front end work and some limited electrical work on both. The Reverse just started acting intermittent. It only acts up only one out of every 10 - 15 trials. When I shift into neutral; the green light goes on. Press the REV button, and the reverse light goes on, and then then the start switch; it won't back up, but makes a ratcheting noise like gear teeth ticking past each other, and this vibrates the universal joint at the transmission output. The pictures in the Honda manual don't seem to be very good, but it does show some reverse shift actuator cable adjustment clearances in the N position 0mm, and R position 0.3 - 0.8 mm. Seems to be OK there. What I have noticed is that when the problem occurs, I simply hit the reverse button back to neutral, hit the button again back to reverse light; press the start switch and the trike backs up ! The neutral & reverse lights come on steady, and do not flicker at any time. This all leads me to question the (4) reverse relays. What is driving me nuts is that you cannot find a part number in the honda manual. I took relays into honda dealer, and he told me the numbers on the relay's don't mean anything; that they are not honda numbers. The service manager at that dealership said he could guarantee me the relays are not the problem, and that when those kits are put on, they get into honda's back-up light circuit. Schematics do not show a back up light circuit. If I am unable to get anywhere with this problem, I will have take the trike over to Andalusia, Alabama 100 miles away and leave it as they are a Honda Dealer as well as a Roadsmith Trike Kit dealer, and the bike and trike kit are under warranty. Honda's warranty is on a case by case basis, and Honda looks at trike kits as modifications. BUMMER !!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 2016 GL1800 INTERMITTANT REVERSE

Post by themainviking » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 am

I have this problem occasionally as well, however, I can quantify it. It always happens when the bike is cold, and the RPMs are still high. I think the bike is refusing to damage itself. At least in my case. What I do is as you do, return the bike to neutral and wait for the RPMs to drop further (choke coming off). Then I try it again and it always works fine. Your case may be similar, or not. If it happens as rarely as you mentioned, I would not leave my bike at a dealership on the off chance they could duplicate the problem. All I would do is ensure the problem was documented by the dealership under your ownership records.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 am

Remove the black cover on the right side. You will see the reverse actuator and cables. Spray a little brake cleaner on the coiled spring to flush any dirt. The follow up with a non oily spray, lock lubricant will work. Just try to protect any plastic in that area. If that doesn't take care of it, take it back to the dealer. They may need to adjust the cables. A 2016 should still be under warranty.

PEANUTY
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800P CSC Trike

Post by PEANUTY » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have already used silicone spray around the cable actuator, and also at the transmission end. Nothing. I picked up a toggle switch this morning and some female stake on wire terminals at Autozone ]this morning and a toggle switch. There are 4 potted relays in the reverse circuit with 1/4 " male stabs (terminals) . Of the (4) relays; there are (3) part numbers. Honda's official manual shows the hook up along with polarity to avoid ruining the coil transient diode. I have (2) ohm meters to use to monitor the contacts. Going to exercise each relay about 20 times and watch for any resistance stumbles, etc., and may gently tap on relay a few times before energizing coil. If I don't find anything at all, I will trailer Trike over to Andalusia, Al., and leave it with the Honda, & Roadsmith Dealer. When the dealers convert to Trike, they make some scary wiring changes, and there could be a loose connection, or intermittent short anywhere, although I have no blown fuses.

Bob in Dothan Al.

when