Winter Covers

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jkgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing 1800

Winter Covers

Post by jkgoldwing » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi, I just updated to a 1800. I don't have a garage so the girl is going to have to be outside. I have a cover that goes almost all the way down to the ground but doesn't. I have been looking at 'tent' covers like the one I am listing here. Does anyone have recommendations on how to best protect the bike since I can't put it in a garage? I live in NC and there is going to be a lot of moisture for the next few months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quictent-Heavy ... 0694.m4598

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Winter Covers

Post by cihilb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm

The biggest problem is ground moisture getting trapped under the cover. Even though that cover has top vents, it will still accumulate moisture. A tarp tucked in and around that cover will help. There are "shelters" made that have a floor attached but are more expensive. Here's one model.
http://www.cycleshell.com/

A friend of mine has one and never had any problems with moisture. We live in Western PA.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I agree completely with having a floor. Here in the northeast we will be getting plenty of snow. I don't know how much snow, wind and rain you will be getting, but I don't like anything touching the bike itself as something like a cover can cause scratches if there is any kind of dirt or contaminants inside the shelter that would adhere to the cover then flap against the bike panels in the wind.

If you do use a cover or tarp or other, I would recommend a floor and frame around the bike so the cover/tarp does not touch your ride. Mine sits inside a 24 foot box truck (former rental) and I have an electric radiant heater to minimize condensation. Even after a few days under a cover I had to thoroughly rinse, clean and clean again due to the thick dust buildup, thus the reason for keeping it in my storage truck.

I have seen a Covered Wagon 6x12 ramp trailer (coveredwagontrailers.com) that are surprisingly inexpensive and make a great portable garage.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am

As you live in humid climes, and there may or may not be salt in that humidity, I would go for a snug fitting cover, ride occasionally, and wash the bike a couple of times a month during the winter, on nice days when it will dry properly. Only saying what I would do. We had a poster a couple weeks back from Florida, who covered his bike and when he got to uncover it he had all kinda rust. I would really want to avoid that. If nothing else, I think I might rent a storage unit to get the bike where it won't have that problem. Personally, I have mine in an enclosed trailer.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Mine is in an enclosed trailer as well (box truck body with good rubber seals) and safe from the road salt. I DO NOT take it out once salt is on the road and I wait until the snow melts and we have two good rains to wash the salt off the roadways. I have missed some good riding, but no road salt is going to wreck this ride. Having spent 66 years in this climate, I have seen what road salt does to any vehicle, no matter how well it is "rust proofed" (no such thing, although the new coatings for bed liners come close, I have seen some use it as an undercoat, but one little gap in coverage is all that little nasty Sodium Chloride molecule needs). If you don't like your vehicle, drive it in New England during the winter. You won't have it long.

As far as tightly wrapping the bike, unless it is completely sealed it leaves a chance for road sand (contaminated with the salt) to work its way in. My personal experience has taught me that when I use the cover, I remove and shake it daily. Thus I only use the cover when I don't feel like ramping it into the "garage" overnight. It doesn't keep it clean (quite the opposite) but its nice to have a dry bike to get on in the morning.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Post by FlyBoy2121 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:08 pm

I GoldWingmen

Here is the shelter I made for another bike that I had before my GoldWing 1800,
Unfortunately this shelter was too small for my Gold, I had to sell it.
These super shelters like this, these quickly open and close.
One or the other model you will be satisfied.

FlyBoy2121 :D
Attachments

jkgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing 1800

Post by jkgoldwing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you for everyone inputs. Very helpful!

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I would be so tempted to rent a small storage locker for the short time winter hits. Park it on the center stand with plywood under the front tire, pull the battery and put moth balls in close formation all around it then a dust cover. Short of that I'd widen my back door and bring it in the house, so I can sit on it and make vroom vroom noises for 3 months! :lol:
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

W3JNP
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 - Titanium

Post by W3JNP » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am

Bike Barn makes a nice tent: http://www.thebikebarn.net/

I was happy with mine until I bought an enclosed trailer to store the bike in.

2004 Titanium GL1800
Reading, Pa