Hard Shift 1st to 2nd

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Hard Shift 1st to 2nd

Post by Big Blue UK » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Wingrider. When I bought my 2002 in 2013 at 6,900 miles. I discovered when changing from 4th to 5th, after releasing the clutch, acceleration would be normal, then suddenly between 1 and 3 seconds later there was a metal on metal snatching sound and sensation, as if a gear crunched or slipped, as if there was a tooth missing on a gear, it did not slip out of gear, and only happened once after changing up, could drive in 5th for ages and was ok. The harder I was accelerating after I released the clutch, the worse it felt and sounded. It was bleedin horrible, I was waiting for it to happen. I would get up to my cruising speed in 4th, change up, no acceleration, but still it happened, after 1 - 3 seconds, regardless of the changing techniques I used.

One day early autumn I changed up into 5th released the clutch and all hell broke loose, then it happened after changing 1st to 2nd, enough was enough. I was working on some electrical mods, next thing I had stripped it to the frame, and it was waiting to have the engine out. Mileage 24,000

From your description, if it is anything like mine, then, the inevitable will happen.

Culprits

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Wingrider73
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing 30 Yr. Anniversary

Post by Wingrider73 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Oh my goodness!!!!
What a way to start the year. As yet I don't have any of the symptoms you describe so maybe, just maybe my bike will hold together for much longer. I did contact JustWings in Zepherhills, Fl and they said it could be something as simple as a failing drive shaft, or the what you are describing. I am praying for the drive shaft.

James
Riding on a PRAYER and a Wing - praising God all the way!

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:43 am

I hoped for the same thing James, but I knew in the back of my mind it was not. In a while I will post a pic of the selector drum with the track edges worn at the bends, this is where the gear changing problems start between engaging and disengaging the clutch. Mine is ok, but I had no problem changing gear, it was after I disengaged the clutch, as I said.

If it was your prop or final drive, it would happen every time you opened or closed the throttle.

You need to take it to someone who REALLY knows what they are doing, ask them for evidence of how many GoldWing boxer six engines they have dismantled, and if their diagnosis matched the fault, ask for customer feedback, and contact them. Then cometh the hour, you will have found someone you can trust to take your engine to bits.

The parts going in are re manufactured modified shaft and gear assembly. There is no bleedin way I would have original parts, in case they are NOS. do not care wether the hell if Honda says they were manufactured yesterday We promise.

Positive thing is, whatever you spend on the transmission, you will get back when you sell it. Not only will it be fixed but better than original. A GoldWing seeker will **** n pay way above street value, against other Wings that age and mileage. I would.

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:02 am

LOL, you have some funny swear words.