2010 Fork Mods

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
tmthrasher
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing (Yellow), Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM/ABS

2010 Fork Mods

Post by tmthrasher » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 am

I was looking to improve the forks on my bike and trying to decide whether to purchase a Progressive Monotube Cartridge Kit or just the Progressive Springs. There's quite a difference in price but I'm not sure which choice is best. I also plan on installing a Superbrace fork brace, Allball tapered bearings, the Anti-dive fork valve shim and new fork seals. I'm open to suggestions.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: 2010 Fork Mods

Post by themainviking » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 am

I have progressive springs and a friend of mine did also. He decided to go to the monotubes, and said it gave him a lot of additional support and handling improvement. Costly but apparently worth it. I have not gone to the monotube, and still have the progressive springs, and I am contented. It is a matter of choice and depth of pockets.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tmthrasher

Post by tmthrasher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 am

Thank you for your response. I don't mind the price difference between the two options as much as the difficulty in doing the job. However, I do want to determine if the improvement in installing the monotube vs the springs is actually the best way to go. Could you find out from your friend that installed the monotube cartridge kit in his bike if he also had to purchase a seal kit?

Also, do you have any experience with the progressive rear shock spring? According to the manufacturer's information, their spring raises the rear about an inch and it's supposed to make it easier to get the bike up on the center stand.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:28 am

Cannot ask the friend as he has since passed. I was not there when he did the work either. I do know the springs are no big deal to do.

The rear spring will indeed give you an additional inch of rear clearance and will help to get the bike on the center stand. If you do the rear spring, it would be well to also do the hydraulic line. You can get one of these from Traxxion Dynamics. You would also, while doing the line, refil and bleed the oil from the cylinder, which would make your levelling work better. Also a very useful mod for our bikes. Progressive sells a spring compressor that helps greatly if you rework your rear shock.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tmthrasher

Post by tmthrasher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am

Good to know. Thank you very much!