Honda and the wobble

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ex vtxer
Motorcycle: 2015 GoldWing ABS, 40th anniversary edition red/black

Honda and the wobble

Post by ex vtxer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:43 pm

i had the wobble on my vtx 1300, oem bearings were made for a bike. now i'm surprised to find out the Wing has the same fate. they seem to have the same oem bearing too.
funny thing, on the vtx1800 they used tapered!!! this is a shame, since the other night i felt a bit of a shake and it was dejavu all over again...
here i thought on this fine machine i wouldn't find something like that...oh well, i'm still amazed at how it rides and handles. haven't had a full long run yet...

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Re: Honda and the wobble

Post by Steve F » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Well, if it ever shows up again, have your mechanic (or yourself if you have the tool) check the torque on the steering head bearing. I had ALL-BALLS tapered head bearings in my '03 and never had any kind of shimmy or wobble. I just had the forks rebuild last February and had new tapered bearings installed again while they were in there replacing everything else. Can't go wrong with those "ALL-BALLS" bearings (not a paid promoter or anything of the sort, just a happy camper). 8-)
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

ex vtxer

Post by ex vtxer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 am

i has replaced mine on my vtx with the help of a couple of others at a tech session, all the 1300 had the wobble, with the cheap bicycle bearings they had, but the 1800 were tapered. i'm not familiar enough with the Wing yet to say i would dare to take it apart and do the work myself. my hands also are not what they used to be, plus i dont have tool. i'm hoping that with checking tire pressure (tire pressure was 35 i put it up to 38 to see how it handles) it was just that.
im trying to figure out what everyone means by having "FORKS REDONE" i understand if seals are bad, springs loose, or replacing, but what exactly is meant by that?
thanks

Steve F
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Having the forks rebuilt involves the seals and dust caps replaced, forks disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and flushed. Then there are the slider bushings that MUST be replaced since they're TEFLON coated and the coating wears off over time. If that happens and they aren't replaced in time, you suffer irreversible damage to the fork tubes. VERRRRRY expensive to replace those. So, a little Preventive Maintenance is necessary, and cost effective. Definitely cheaper too that way.
I had my forks rebuilt at 50k miles and I was overdue according to the manual. Inspection of the sliders showed that the coating was worn through in areas, but was still OK.

ex vtxer

Post by ex vtxer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 pm

thanks for the info...appreciate it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Post by themainviking » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 am

ex vtxer wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 pm
thanks for the info...appreciate it.
You are not likely to need your forks rebuilt unless you are a very high mileage rider. Your bike is only a 2015 and should not yet have 50 to 60 thousand miles ridden. If it does, then yes, have a look at rebuilding your forks. Other than that, people may have been referring to the notoriously weak springs these bikes have in the front forks, and the tendency of GL1800 riders to replace them with Progressive Dynamics or Traxxion Springs. Wobbles in GL1800 bikes may come from three primary sources. It could be the steering head bearings (I doubt it) or it could be the wheel bearings (I doubt it) or it could be the tire you have on the front of the bike and the balancing of that tire. To begin with, if the tire has a center groove that goes all around the middle of the tire, that can, and will cause wobble, especially if there is a lack of air pressure in the tire. 36 pounds, in my estimate, was too low a pressure. I run my front at 43 pounds. It is the maximum shown for highest load, on the tire sidewall, and these GLs are heavy. Unless the original dealership that sold that bike put it together carelessly, this should be the most likely cause of your wobble, and the very first thing I would address if it was me. The next would be balancing the front tire, which a lot of us now do with balance beads. Counteract seem to be the most readily available, so 2 ounces in your front tire, then air it up to 40 to 43 pounds, and see if the wobble goes away. It is the easiest and most economical attempt at correcting the wobble and if it does it, right on. If this does not correct the wobble, you may then go on to the more difficult and more expensive solutions.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

ex vtxer

Post by ex vtxer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 pm

will dynabeads work just the same??? and do i take off the current weights on tire right now, or leave weights on???

im tackling this first, thanks

Steve F
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:51 pm

ex vtxer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 pm
will dynabeads work just the same??? and do i take off the current weights on tire right now, or leave weights on???

im tackling this first, thanks
Balance beads, whatever brand you choose I think is the way to go, and you will no linger need the lead weights. 2oz in the front, 3oz in th rear. 8-)

ex vtxer

Post by ex vtxer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm

thanks...will remove the weights and put in dynas.