Poor gas mileage and smell

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
savemen1
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing GL1800

Poor gas mileage and smell

Post by savemen1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am

I recently purchased a 2012 wing after totaling my ‘04. The gas mileage is noticeably less (32-34) and I have a strong gas smell when tank is partially full while parked in garage. I have Ben quite careful not to overfill tank. Any ideas what’s causing mileage problem. 62K. Let me add, new plugs and air filter

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Poor gas mileage and smell

Post by themainviking » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 am

Just because you are very careful not to overfill, does not mean the P.O. was. As there is no fuel filter on the bike, it is not that which is causing a lessening in fuel mileage, so, I cannot help you there, but the fuel smell could indeed be from the evap canister.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 am

all 1800s are not alike as to the MPG that they can achieve.

My '02 is consistent with numbers from 33 to 35, and a friend of mine with a 10 model gets 40+ riding with me..... figure that one out.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

savemen1

Post by savemen1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 pm

themainviking wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 am
Just because you are very careful not to overfill, does not mean the P.O. was. As there is no fuel filter on the bike, it is not that which is causing a lessening in fuel mileage, so, I cannot help you there, but the fuel smell could indeed be from the evap canister.
Thanks for the reply. Is the canister easy to replace?

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:35 am

savemen1 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 pm
themainviking wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 am
Thanks for the reply. Is the canister easy to replace?
Really no need to replace the canister. It should eventually dry out. A little gas stuck in the canister may take a while to evaporate. Make sure the vent on the canister is not blocked. You my have to remove the lower cowl to see it clearly.
My suggestion is to just ride it and it should eventually clear.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 pm

They're are several lines to the evap canister, one from the tank that collects the vapor but also can catch over-flow, another to the throttle body through a purge valve. If these are clogged, leaking or the purge valve is stuck or disconnected the gas smell can get pretty obnoxious in a closed area after filling on a hot day. How bad evaporation would impact your mileage depends on how long something is open and how long it is parked. I would suspect two different issues are at play, unless you have a leak somewhere that is evaporating within the shelter. I'd check tire pressures, brake drag, missing or fouled spark plugs and dirty injectors. If mileage remains poor beyond a tank you can probably rule out bad gas. I'd run some LUCAS or SEAFOAM through to clear up the fuel system and next suspect a dirty air filter. Lastly some of us just forego the Dairy Queen rides for a while! :P
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

savemen1

Post by savemen1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 am

PastoT wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 pm
They're are several lines to the evap canister, one from the tank that collects the vapor but also can catch over-flow, another to the throttle body through a purge valve. If these are clogged, leaking or the purge valve is stuck or disconnected the gas smell can get pretty obnoxious in a closed area after filling on a hot day. How bad evaporation would impact your mileage depends on how long something is open and how long it is parked. I would suspect two different issues are at play, unless you have a leak somewhere that is evaporating within the shelter. I'd check tire pressures, brake drag, missing or fouled spark plugs and dirty injectors. If mileage remains poor beyond a tank you can probably rule out bad gas. I'd run some LUCAS or SEAFOAM through to clear up the fuel system and next suspect a dirty air filter. Lastly some of us just forego the Dairy Queen rides for a while! :P
From one retired AF guy to another, thank you. I’ll have to dig in and see if I’ve got a clog in one of those lines. I’ve replaced filter and plugs. Breaks are next.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 am

Just take your time and go easy when removing the lower cowl to access the vapor canister. The cowl has like 6 shoulder screws and I think 4 plastic body rivets but once loose you need to fiddle around to clear the rear-front wheel fender but on an 02 there is no bending of anything to extract it. I can't find the diagram of the evap hoses about 6 months ago, its not uncommon to smell up a garage on a hot day; I just rode a bit more before I parked after a refill (its was a good excuse). You shouldn't have to "dig" into the brakes unless they clearly drag a lot up on the center stand. If you had the brake recall done it may have gone bad. More than a few of us never drug brakes until after the recall was completed (I've not had mine done, and no issues yet), I do flush and bleed my brakes every 6 months though.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

A little trick I found when removing my lower cowl on my 2012. There are 6 plastic rivets along the inside of the front of the fairing, 3 on each side.
If you pull those it makes it much easier to remove the lower cowl. More flex in the side of the fairing.