trailer wiring

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

trailer wiring

Post by toanogreen » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 am

I have a trailer that I'm having trouble wiring. It is a Can Am RT 622 trailer that I am wiring to my 1800.
I have the isolated wiring kit and everything looks fine. I'm using a 6-pin round plug. I had it almost working once with only one light not working.
I thought it was the plug because it was an old/use rusted part, so I put in a new one. Nothing works now. Yes, I checked the fuse. I think I am wiring it correctly by the schematics given. It must be something simple; but what?

alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2015)

Re: trailer wiring

Post by alwrmcusn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 am

May be difficult to isolate the problem without the schematic.
I had a VERY difficult time (even with the schematic) connecting my Motor Trike round connector to the Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer. Turns out I was connecting the wrong end of the isolator to the MT round connector. No one seemed to notice including me! :o
Every motorcycle will out perform it's rider.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 am

toanogreen wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 am
I have a trailer that I'm having trouble wiring. It is a Can Am RT 622 trailer that I am wiring to my 1800.
I have the isolated wiring kit and everything looks fine. I'm using a 6-pin round plug. I had it almost working once with only one light not working.
I thought it was the plug because it was an old/use rusted part, so I put in a new one. Nothing works now. Yes, I checked the fuse. I think I am wiring it correctly by the schematics given. It must be something simple; but what?
This is where both a meter and a test light would come in handy. With the meter on ohm setting, you can trace the wires on the trailer to which ever light they power and when, such as tail and brake. With the test light you can test at the bike end, which light powers which wire. Then wire em together through the plug. I personally do not like those round plugs as they never seem to do it for me, so I go for the flat four or five wire ones every time. They are inexpensive if you need to change them out, and they work. I have broken several round plugs inside while attempting to attach the wires. I do not know if I have never found a well made one, or if none of them are really sturdy enough to handle my ham handed methods. :twisted:

Without a meter, lights may be traced with a 12 Volt battery. Hook battery negative to the ground wire of the trailer, and touch wires to the positive of the battery. What lights up is now identified. Still could use a test light to test the motorcycle end.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 am

I bought a Test Light plug that goes right into the tow vehicles connector.

That way, you can tell immediately if that connector is wired properly.

Once that is proven, then use a Test Light with a sharp probe ( any auto supply store ) and follow the wire to the proper trailer light.

Ohm/volt meters are not a valid test, you can get a good ohm reading with only one strand of wire left where it has been pinched thru the insulation.... that single strand is not enough to carry the current to light the bulb.

Divide and concur has always been my motto in tracing bad wiring in harnesses.
1) prove the source is good
2) check the end point
...... a) it is good, the light or horn or whatever is bad
...... b) it is bad, there is a break in the wire somewhere
...... c) divide that wire in two mentally and use that sharp probe to see if that wire has any power?
yes, then divide the length to the light again, and recheck.

I have never had to take more than 3 test probes to locate a bad wire with this method..
and my avocation is in Electronics since 1958.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Get back to the basics, and check the fuse in your isolator box, ands all it's connections. Establish that you have power there, and then proceed.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks to all for your advice. Best answer: check the fuse... again. That was the problem all along. I couldn't see it correctly the first time. Changed it and up and running in minutes!