regarding grip and seat heater


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
ex vtxer
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Location: soflo , fl
Motorcycle: 2015 goldwing 40th anniversary model

regarding grip and seat heater

Post by ex vtxer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am



ive read a multitude of problems that seem pertain to this...what i havent come across or maybe not gotten to you yet is this:

1) i'm mechanically/electrically challenged, especially on this new bike. does the warranty cover the grips and seat not having heat???

on the same thought different part:

2) does the warranty cover the front end wobble???

im not asking on how to fix these, since i'm not there yet, i'm interested in knowing if the dealers thru warranty cover them.
thank you all who have gone thru this and will reply



User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:49 pm

until the warranty is expired, all of that should be addressed by a reputable Honda Powersports dealer.

the wobble though, I am quite sure, they will tell you that is a result of "normal wear and tear".

it can be prevented in the future by using "All Balls" brand tapered steering head bearings,
Dyna Beads in the tires to keep them balanced.

Weights will not keep a tire balanced through its' life span.... beads will, regardless of brand, just make sure they are ceramic beads.... get Dyna Beads and you can't go wrong..... you can do this yourself, right now.... get the kit and install it in the tires. 2 oz in the front tire, 3 oz in the rear tire.

you can remove the weights ( recommended ) or leave them on.
the end result is the same.

You don't mention how many miles are on the bike, or what year model it is.... has to be 2012 or later to be in warranty though, depending of if you purchased the "extended warranty".

Does your bike have a Super Brace on the front forks?
That goes a long ways towards reducing the wobble tendency.
my bike does, and zero wobble at any speed, up or down.
also using Dyna Beads.
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Dyna Beads
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm discusses using them on motorcycles.


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Beads-Motor ... B00JV7NZBO

You will read that Dyna Beads won't work, that is true, and false.
It all depends on what kind of tire you are using them in.

a narrow tire like on a motorcycle? Most definitely.

a monster tire like on a 4x4 outback rig 40x8", not at all, don't even try.
The dynamics of balancing huge tires is totally outside the realm of beads.
Beads will go to the center of a tire's circumference, and cannot handle the dynamics of side-to-side wobble.

https://rideapart.com/articles/dyna-bea ... -snake-oil
See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

https://goo.gl/maps/2zH93W9YW372

515 E Eads Pkwy, Greendale, IN 47025
812-537-4441

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

ex vtxer
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Location: soflo , fl
Motorcycle: 2015 goldwing 40th anniversary model

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by ex vtxer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

thanks John, appreciate your replies...
happy new year

DaveO430
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm


You will read that Dyna Beads won't work, that is true, and false.
I read an article that says they won't work but they put a tire with beads in it on a computer spin balancer to come to that conclusion, which won't work. The tire has to be rolling on a road surface for it to work.

User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by tfdeputydawg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

ex vtxer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am
ive read a multitude of problems that seem pertain to this...what i havent come across or maybe not gotten to you yet is this:

1) i'm mechanically/electrically challenged, especially on this new bike. does the warranty cover the grips and seat not having heat???
In theory, this is covered by warranty. The problem is finding a dealer that knows anything at all about the comfort system! I contacted 4 dealers in my area, asking if they know how to trouble shoot the system. One dealer even told me there was no heat in the passenger backrest!!! Finally bought the service manual and followed the step by step instructions and fixed it myself!!!

on the same thought different part:

2) does the warranty cover the front end wobble??
Same answer as above except, it depends on what is causing the "wobble" and it depends on which "wobble" you are speaking about!
The normal wobble most talk about is the decal wobble that comes in around 45mph or so and you "loosen" you grip on the bars. Solution to that wobble is don't loosen you grip!!!!![/color ]

im not asking on how to fix these, since i'm not there yet, i'm interested in knowing if the dealers thru warranty cover them.
thank you all who have gone thru this and will reply

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by tfdeputydawg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am

DaveO430 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm


You will read that Dyna Beads won't work, that is true, and false.
I read an article that says they won't work but they put a tire with beads in it on a computer spin balancer to come to that conclusion, which won't work. The tire has to be rolling on a road surface for it to work.
Really! What lead you to this conclusion??
Have you ever seen the video of beads in a bottle spinning on a drill??

User avatar
Ghostman
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by Ghostman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 am

One of the biggest issues of owning a wing is youll find is the inconsistency of Honda dealers when it comes to servicing ability and coverage of warranty issues. Considering its supposed to be the flagship of their line a lot of the dealers, the only ability they seem to have is to sell them. After that depending on the dealer ,youre on your own.

DaveO430
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am
DaveO430 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm



[/color]
Really! What lead you to this conclusion??
Have you ever seen the video of beads in a bottle spinning on a drill??
Yes I have seen that video but I have also tried to balance a tire on a computer balancer with them in it, it won't balance.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

ex vtxer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am
1) does the warranty cover the grips and seat not having heat???

2) does the warranty cover the front end wobble???
Yes ... your heated seat/grips should be covered by Honda warranty.

As for your wobble. If it doesn't wobble with 2 fingers on each hand grip, then Honda will probably not consider it a problem. After all, so long as the wobble is not there while it is being operated correctly (having hands on the bars), it is not considered a problem. However, a dealer might be willing to tighten the steering head bearings for about 1+ hours of labor. They should also tell you that if done that there is no guarantee that your wobble will be gone, because chances are it will not be gone after the bearings are re-torqued at your expense.

ex vtxer
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Location: soflo , fl
Motorcycle: 2015 goldwing 40th anniversary model

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by ex vtxer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 am

thanks Greg

i keep the pressure at 41, the tire is not cupping, and i was hoping not to have to bite on steering bearings. the vtx 1300's had the same problem.
i didn't do enough research on the wing, and this issue, trying to figure out what choice of grips to use, especially with heated grips. i'm looking at the black iso with contoured throttle boss...told only right side on that one, some places have even given wrong information on grips, trying to sell universal...still dont know if any other 3rd party vendor makes any, i dont trust fleabay, although i saw a brand Kapsco i think, anyway...
it's tough asking questions here :?: , you ask about newer models 2012+, get answers on the 1200, 1500, all well meaning of course, but i start sweating and getting headaches :lol: just getting tired, i'm broke and not riding enough... :mrgreen:
good thing is that the machine is a dream to ride...so thanks everyone for all your help. even unwanted answers help me clear the picture up ;) ...either way, i'll keep asking till i get the right answers lol...thanks again everyone... :D

DaveO430
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by DaveO430 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 am

ex vtxer wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 am
thanks Greg

i keep the pressure at 41, the tire is not cupping, and i was hoping not to have to bite on steering bearings. the vtx 1300's had the same problem.
i didn't do enough research on the wing, and this issue, trying to figure out what choice of grips to use, especially with heated grips. i'm looking at the black iso with contoured throttle boss...told only right side on that one, some places have even given wrong information on grips, trying to sell universal...still dont know if any other 3rd party vendor makes any, i dont trust fleabay, although i saw a brand Kapsco i think, anyway...
it's tough asking questions here :?: , you ask about newer models 2012+, get answers on the 1200, 1500, all well meaning of course, but i start sweating and getting headaches :lol: just getting tired, i'm broke and not riding enough... :mrgreen:
good thing is that the machine is a dream to ride...so thanks everyone for all your help. even unwanted answers help me clear the picture up ;) ...either way, i'll keep asking till i get the right answers lol...thanks again everyone... :D
The only options you have with factory heated grips are the Kuryakyn ISO clamshells or grip puppies. This does not apply to any other model except GL1800s with factory seat and grip heaters 2006 and later.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 am

ex vtxer wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 am
thanks Greg

i keep the pressure at 41, the tire is not cupping, and i was hoping not to have to bite on steering bearings. the vtx 1300's had the same problem.
i didn't do enough research on the wing, and this issue, trying to figure out what choice of grips to use, especially with heated grips. i'm looking at the black iso with contoured throttle boss...told only right side on that one, some places have even given wrong information on grips, trying to sell universal...still dont know if any other 3rd party vendor makes any, i dont trust fleabay, although i saw a brand Kapsco i think, anyway...
it's tough asking questions here :?: , you ask about newer models 2012+, get answers on the 1200, 1500, all well meaning of course, but i start sweating and getting headaches :lol: just getting tired, i'm broke and not riding enough... :mrgreen:
good thing is that the machine is a dream to ride...so thanks everyone for all your help. even unwanted answers help me clear the picture up ;) ...either way, i'll keep asking till i get the right answers lol...thanks again everyone... :D

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: regarding grip and seat heater

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 am

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 am
ex vtxer wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 am
thanks Greg

i keep the pressure at 41, the tire is not cupping, and i was hoping not to have to bite on steering bearings.
As for air pressure, follow the tag on the underside of the trunk lid. For the front it is 36psi. As for cupping, often steering head shake is caused from tire cupping, but on a GL1800 it is not from the front but from the rear.



Post Reply