Seat comfort

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
liteship
Motorcycle: 2002 gl1800 goldwing

Seat comfort

Postby liteship » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:53 am

Hi

I have a 2002 goldwing. I really enjoy the bike but i can only sit on it for a couple of hours before i'm extremely uncomfortable in my legs and backside. Is this a seat issue or are there ways of improving your ride position for longer distance driving. :?:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Seat comfort

Postby thrasherg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 am

I have a 2004 and had similar issues to you, I fitted a back rest and that helped a lot, a new rear shock also helped (as did loosing a lot of excess body weight!! Diet).. I still cannot ride the bike for more than about 6 hours in a day before It is too painfull to continue.. A better seat might help, but I seldom need to ride for more than 6 hours so I have left the seat alone.. I strongly recomend trying a back rest..

Gray

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:06 am

I need a break after about 1 1/2hrs anyway. So, not a problem for me!
One way for improvement is to get q $20 gel material seat pad from Wal Mart. Fits very nicely on a Wings seat. Consider one for the passenger also.
From there the price goes up drasically for custom seats, with and without heat.
google motorcycle seats-there are many brands out there. Road Sofa seems to be one of the most popular but, there are many others to review

flw
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby flw » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Drivers backrest is a sure way to add seat time for your rides. It maynot get you as far as you wish but alot farther than your are going now. Mine added 2 hours to my ride. They are also alot less expensive than changing the seat.

If a new/better seat is what you are leaning towards, a "road sofa" is highly praised by other people here. I have a stock seat.

Good luck.

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:44 pm

I find just adjusting my position for a little while helps...if I don't have a passenger on back, I'll, pick up and sit slightly on the higher part of the passenger seat for a little while, then move back...also rolling my hips up so I'm sitting more vertical instead of on my rear helps too...I use seat beads, but that doesn't help much for this condition, mostly for heat/sweat.

Brad1951
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 Pearl White GoldWing

Postby Brad1951 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 am

Hi, I had the same problem you have-after just a couple hours of riding my butt would be getting sore and would have some major tightening in my upper back (between my shoulder blades). I never had the upper back problem on my 2000 -1500cc so did some comparing of the 2 bikes to see why the problem with my 2008-1800cc. Major difference was the handle bar reach/height between the two.Even with my long arms (5'11") I discovered my arms were almost fully extended when riding on the 1800-the solution was to install the Kuryakyn handle bar riser kit-worth every penny!!When installing you have many options of how you can mount them so it should suit just about anyone. My mounting choice moved the handle bars up 1" and back toward me 1"-what a BIG difference in riding comfort now-no more sore shoulders!! My next problem is what I call my "bony butt"-after a couple hours my butt would really be bothering me. I tried numerous seat cushions and found the gel ones to be too hard and most all the others would be too squishy when filled with air that felt like you were on a squirmy water bottle. While at one of our Goldwing Rallies I had the luck to run into a great guy that has started up his own company and developed his own seat cushion (used to work for one of the Major named brand seat cushion companies). I purchased a seat cushion from him for less than $100 and has been the best money spent!!Unlike other cushions, when this one is inflated PROPERLY it feels like there is hardly any air in it.The key here is no more "squishy" feeling and the design of the cushion takes the pressure off your "bony butt" for a MAJOR difference in riding comfort. The cushions can be found at Bikecushions.com-check it out Safe riding to you

Brad1951
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 Pearl White GoldWing

Postby Brad1951 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:20 am

Hi, the correct web site for the cushion is http://www.bikecushion.com/ ( I put an "s" on "cushion" and it won't take you to the site-sorry)

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 am

I have been using this for many years....

http://www.bikercushion.com/Medium-Crui ... medium.htm

do read the instructions... It is important to not over inflate or you'll feel like you are sitting on a greased seat... Start out with a little air and work up slowly from there...

rexter
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Postby rexter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 pm

I had the same issues, as do alot of riders, with extended riding on the stock seat. I rode with a Comfort Max Gel Pad for over a year. We recently made the decision to invest in a Russell Day Long custom seat. We just got our new seat this past week and haven't had an opportunity to take a good long ride yet. RDL builds a seat to YOUR dimensions. But to do this you have to send your stock seat in. They remove the existing seat from your seat pan and rebuilt the seat completely. There are many seat builders out there. Hartco, Diamond, Ultimate, Mustang and Corbin to name a few. We looked at them all and went with RDL. Remember, It is an investment in your comfort.

cwhonda
Motorcycle: 2001 goldwing

Postby cwhonda » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:13 pm

My 2001 came with this wooden ball mat. I was going to take it off but the guy who sold me the bike was right it really is comfortable!!! I have done two 1k + rides no complaints.

On rereading the comments I had overlooked the "Backrest" I never had one until I got my 01 wing It is amazing.

Off subject a little.I have a '87 wing with a bad seat , i am just fixing this up for sale, but it has a bad seat any ideas on a cheap fix covers or what? It is uncomfortable to ride in its present condition so not too far off topic.
Thanks guys
Last edited by cwhonda on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roadworksguy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800AL9

Postby Roadworksguy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I found the AirHawk seat cushion great for bum comfort but it does insulate you from the seat heat on cold days. Highway pegs mostly help with knee discomfort however I only use one foot on a highway peg at a time; otherwise you are doing uncomfortable splits around the wide fairing which adds more pressure to your butt. The change of position when using the highway pegs this way also helps alleviate back and butt comfort. My lower back still gets tired after about 3 hours so I am taking some of the advice on this forum and will be trying a backrest next summer.

Virginia Beach Wing
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2008 Burgman 650

Postby Virginia Beach Wing » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

cwhonda wrote:My 2001 came with this wooden ball mat. I was going to take it off but the guy who sold me the bike was right it really is comfortable!!! I have done two 1k + rides no complaints.

I love my beaded seat gets rid of Monkey Butt and I can ride all day no problem
Virginia Beach Wing
2008 Honda Goldwing
All the Bells and Whistles and then some
2008 Burgman 650 "GoldBurg"

myYellowbird
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Postby myYellowbird » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:36 am

Got my 2010 35 days ago seems like the seat is getting better i used a good leather conditioner weekly. Hoping the seat gets better in time. I have the cushions from walmart used them on my last bike not bad for the money. Looking for a backrest. Has for highway pegs not sure if i'll need them, seems like i wide wrap around for my legs not sure if i could get to the brake fast if needed. Was worried the wing would not be comfortable with out footboards highway pegs, but i am amazed on just how great of a ride we have. Any extras will be a bonus. ;)
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 am

I was having trouble with back pain on my 2001 GW. My chiropractor looked at me while seated in normal riding position and found I was reaching to far to the hand grips. I installed handlebar risers and moved the grips in about an inch, back about an inch and 1/2 and up about 1/2 inch and it solved my problem. I also moved my Utopia backrest a little to the front, and between both of these, it took most of the pain away. I then purchased a 2009 GW and had a Wing Soft seat modification done, to the factory seat, at Wing Ding and changed the foam in the seat (driver and passenger), moved the passenger back about an inch and changed the passenger back rest foam (that straightened her back to sit more upright) while still maintaining the factory heated seats. She was able to ride twice as long before stopping after that.
Cost of mod was around $550. Still cheaper than replacing the seat at $1200 to $1500 and many would not have heated seat after changing. Have also found that if you disable any part of the factory heated seat, you lose the heated seat and the heated hand grips also. So before you do any changing of the seat decide if you want to have heated grips and seat.

Another note about handlebar risers. Don't buy anything from Kuryakyn, they are a company that will not stand behind their products. Read my posts on this board and the GWRRA board about how they treated me when I had a problem with chrome bubbling on a trunk rack. Their customer service is a (expensive for me) joke. I am trying to get people to let Kuryakyn know we, as customers, will not support a company that will not stand behind their products.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

Lefty
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800

Postby Lefty » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm

As to risers, look into MBL risers. I bought them direct from Maurice, the owner at MBL, and they make all the difference.

myYellowbird
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Postby myYellowbird » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 am

I have since but a back rest on what a difference so far my back pain is gone and i can stay on the wing a lot longer now. Talk with another wing owner he put some memory foam in under is leather. Said it was easy to do may try this but backrest made the difference for me.
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

joshellison
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby joshellison » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 am

Virginia Beach Wing wrote:
cwhonda wrote:My 2001 came with this wooden ball mat. I was going to take it off but the guy who sold me the bike was right it really is comfortable!!! I have done two 1k + rides no complaints.

Where did you get your beaded seat cover and what part/model # was it?

cwhonda

Postby cwhonda » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 am

I do not know !. tomorrow however I am getting my bike out screw the "rain and a chance of snow" I have cabin fever way too bad need a ride. I will check it to see if there are any manufacturers names on it. I have my senior moments but I know i have seen it advertised, will try a search. I will start with Ebay that usually gives me a start. If I succeed will answer tomorrow.
finally I can TRY to do some in return for all the help i have received on this site, thanks for it all!!
colin
Bingo!!
The link below is from Ebay. I used "beaded seat" to search, there are quire a few specifically for 1800 GW
Hope this helps !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING ... t_491wt_75

joshellison

Postby joshellison » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:05 am

Very awesome and thanks for taking the time to do that. I have seen many on the internet but sometimes certain types are a little better than others for the same money and wanted to make sure I dont go wasting it!!

Enjoy the ride!!

cwhonda

Postby cwhonda » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

The tag on my bead seat is beadrider.com
Maybe you can get more answers if this is the best but it works fine for me

joshellison

Postby joshellison » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 pm

cwhonda wrote:The tag on my bead seat is beadrider.com
Maybe you can get more answers if this is the best but it works fine for me

That works great! I was on their website and it looks good. Hope to order one in the near future, it gets a little warm in Hawaii and would be nice for cooling off!

Thanks

Virginia Beach Wing
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2008 Burgman 650

Postby Virginia Beach Wing » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 pm

joshellison wrote:
Virginia Beach Wing wrote:

Where did you get your beaded seat cover and what part/model # was it?

I got mine at Walmart...Was one for a car. Got some fishing line...Cut it down to fit the seat and restrung it around the edges. When I use it I tuck the back part under the butt rest and it does not move. When I get to my destination I toss it in a storage area of my choice so someone does not walk off with it.
Virginia Beach Wing
2008 Honda Goldwing
All the Bells and Whistles and then some
2008 Burgman 650 "GoldBurg"

beachbuddy0253
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby beachbuddy0253 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 am

2008retiredplb wrote:I was having trouble with back pain on my 2001 GW. My chiropractor looked at me while seated in normal riding position and found I was reaching to far to the hand grips. I installed handlebar risers and moved the grips in about an inch, back about an inch and 1/2 and up about 1/2 inch and it solved my problem. I also moved my Utopia backrest a little to the front, and between both of these, it took most of the pain away. I then purchased a 2009 GW and had a Wing Soft seat modification done, to the factory seat, at Wing Ding and changed the foam in the seat (driver and passenger), moved the passenger back about an inch and changed the passenger back rest foam (that straightened her back to sit more upright) while still maintaining the factory heated seats. She was able to ride twice as long before stopping after that.
Cost of mod was around $550. Still cheaper than replacing the seat at $1200 to $1500 and many would not have heated seat after changing. Have also found that if you disable any part of the factory heated seat, you lose the heated seat and the heated hand grips also. So before you do any changing of the seat decide if you want to have heated grips and seat.

Another note about handlebar risers. Don't buy anything from Kuryakyn, they are a company that will not stand behind their products. Read my posts on this board and the GWRRA board about how they treated me when I had a problem with chrome bubbling on a trunk rack. Their customer service is a (expensive for me) joke. I am trying to get people to let Kuryakyn know we, as customers, will not support a company that will not stand behind their products.

after just a year, i agree. watch out for the cheap chrome jobs from kuryakyn !!!!!!!!

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Postby CaptLen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:49 am

I felt strain in my shoulders- like I was leaning in to reach grips- got riser kit from Kuryakin (about $70) and never had time to install so had dealer do it (about $150) and it helps. Have not tried backrest yet but I see many have replied that helps, so the two of us may be doing that soon

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”