brake fluid leak

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing 1500

brake fluid leak

Postby mrwoodboat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:23 am

Hi All- new GL1500 owner that had to replace the front brake pads- I have done this on numerous bikes before and used the same method- basically, pulled the calipers without openning the brake lines, eased the pistons back into the calipers, cleaned everything, applied silicone grease to the pins so the caliper would float like it should and put the new pads in- went for a ride and it took a couple of pumps to get good peadal and lever and all was good- got home, put bike away and woke up to find brake fluid spilled onto my floor- question is I think the previous owner had filled the resevoir as the pads wore- could this be the excess fluid now that I have installed new pads leaking out? Pedal and lever feel great- I cleaned it up and have not noticed any more fluid leaking..thanks

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: brake fluid leak

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:13 pm

It could definitely be what you describe - I would be VERY seriously finding the source of the leak however. Brake fluid, if it gets on the paint, will destroy the paint, and if it gets on the plastic fairings, will over the course of a few weeks weaken the plastic until it fractures and breaks. Make sure you've cleaned it all up!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”