all balls bearings steering kit

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
billbob
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800 goldwing

all balls bearings steering kit

Post by billbob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Which is better the tapered roller style or reg. set of bearing?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: all balls bearings steering kit

Post by themainviking » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I would not say either was "better". Tapered steering head bearings will probably last a lot longer than regular OEM bearings, and will likely firm up the steering head. OEM bearings work well for most people, and do not last as long, so longevity is where the difference lies in my opinion. When I say OEM do not last as long, we are speaking of the lifetime of a motorcycle as compared to five lifetimes with the tapered bearings if they are kept clean and greased. I have not felt the need to put tapered bearings in my steering head, but I would if I did them. I will not do a job that does not need doing tho, just to change over to tapered bearings.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Re: all balls bearings steering kit

Post by Steve F » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 pm

I would prefer the tapered over the regular anytime. They have greater contact area and are less likely to cause "notchy" steering where the balls tend to dent into the races and makes the steering less than smooth. Since the tapered bearings have greater contact area, the steering is more rigid and less likely to develop the wobble....won't always CURE the wobble, but it really helps. I have the ALL-BALLS tapered bearings, and I can take my hands off the bars at any speed and it's smooth as silk right down to almost stopped........that's when I have to have control or I fall over :oops:
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."