TPMS equiped Rim prep for powder coat

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
oneweasel
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800

TPMS equiped Rim prep for powder coat

Postby oneweasel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I own a 2010 GL1800 w/ TPMS System. I want to get the rims powder coated. I can pull the tires & bearings w/o trouble. I however, do not know how the TPMS is attached to the rims.

Is there any internal assembly or is the TPMS hardware in the valve stem body alone? If there are parts on the inside of the tire/rim area how does this effect disassemble & reassembly? If the tires are away from the bike & TPMS do I need to re-interface the transmitters to the receiver? If so how is it done?

Eric Hart
Master Peace Officer
Police Instructor
MSF RiderCoach

Keyboard
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: TPMS equiped Rim prep for powder coat

Postby Keyboard » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:06 pm

I can't answer your question, but offer this advice: If the powder coater offers a core exchange, make sure he/she powder coats another '09-'10 wheel. The OEM TPMS sensors and valve stems do not fit the '01-'08 wheels. That's because earlier wheels have a tab for a holder to support the conventional valve stems. (see items #5 & #6 of diagram). That tab prevents TPMS valve stems from seating properly.

I noticed this difference when I was considering chroming my wheels, and realized that my '03 wheel had the tab, yet my '10 didn't.

'09-'10 Front Wheel Assy Part# - 44650-MCA-R32
'06-'08 Front Wheel Assy Part# - 44650-MCA-A60
'01-'05 Front Wheel Assy Part# - 44650-MCA-A00

Last edited by Keyboard on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Bike Collection:
2010 Gold Wing + 2004 Rune, 2011 R1200RT, & 2011 Road King Classic

oneweasel
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Postby oneweasel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Is the tire valve pressed together or screwed w/ RH thread?

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Should be a trivial matter...just keep your tpms sensor hardware and send the wheel in, making sure you get a new style wheel like previously mentioned...if for some reason you find yourself needing to re-pair the sensor, I'm pretty sure there's a method on the gl1800riders forum...If I recall correctly, it involves overinflating the tire to a high pressure (50-something psi) for a little while to put the sensor into programming mode...Fred Harmon has done a lot of experimenting with the sensors in an attempt to find an aftermarket reader that would read them and give a real pressure instead of just acting like a idiot light (the sensor is made by LDL, who does make a real gauge, but he hasn't been successful pairing them from what I understand)

If all else fails, most large honda dealers have the programmer tool that negates the need to overinflate the tire for programming...

gcarroll70
Motorcycle: 2010 GL18BMA

Re: TPMS equipped Rim prep for powder coat

Postby gcarroll70 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm

I am planning on doing the exact same thing. My plan, since my 2010 GL1800 is my primary vehicle, is to get spare front and rear rims/tires, remove the current wheels, mount the spares and put up with the idiot light while my current wheels are getting powder coated. This way, I don't have to worry about the year of the spare rims that I purchase and I can take the time to dismount the tires and remove the sensors and valves, prepping for powder coating.

My assumption is that the TPMS sensors are removable but I wont be certain until I remove the tire. Assuming so, I can send my rims to the powder coater without fear of them damaging the sensors during the powder coating process. Then I will re-sync the TPMS after re-mounting the tires to the powder coated rims, following Fred's directions.

All of this is being done because the OEM rims are not sealed with a clear or chromed and get pitted and ugly quick under normal driving conditions. The black powder coating also looks cool and should be easier to keep clean.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”