Stereo quit working.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Maynardjamesapc
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Stereo quit working.

Post by Maynardjamesapc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I installed a custom phone clip on my bike. I had the part that holds the radio off. As I reassembled I repeatedly checked to make sure everything was connected and working. Got all the way back together, except the seat. At this point everything is working. Put the seat back on and no radio or anything audio related. Checked fuses and connections all good. Not sure what happened. Held down the audio button, cycled the key...no idea.

Thanks
James

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Stereo quit working.

Post by cihilb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:55 am

Very possible that one of the plugs on the radio did not seat completely. You will have loosen the shelter again and make sure they snapped in place.

Maynardjamesapc

Post by Maynardjamesapc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 am

Would the plastic that the fog light housing clips to be near anything related to the audio system?

cihilb

Post by cihilb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Maynardjamesapc wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 am
Would the plastic that the fog light housing clips to be near anything related to the audio system?
If you're talking about the lower cowl that holds the foglights, then, no.
One other thing to check, make sure none of the radio buttons may be stuck in. Sometimes all it takes is a piece of dirt holding a button in.

Maynardjamesapc

Post by Maynardjamesapc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Just disassembled again and checked all the connections everything was connected so I disconnected and reconnected assuring good connections reassembled still nothing. Here are the steps I took both times. Remove seat removed side panels removed fiberglass around gauges to expose all the bolts to remove the gas tank cover allowing me access to the two wiring harnesses that connect to the stereo as well as the antenna. I have both wiring harnesses and the antenna connected firmly I also have the plug underneath the gauges panel by the key plugged in and still nothing from the radio or the CB or the intercom or anything to do with the audio controls. When I reassemble the first time I periodically checked to make sure everything was working the stereo was working fine every time I checked last thing I did putting it back together yesterday who was check and see that everything was working all gauges and electronics including the stereo we're working I turned everything off with the key put my seat back on no stereo everything else works.

cihilb

Post by cihilb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:08 pm

May sound like a dumb question, but have you checked the fuses? Don't just rely on looking at them. Check the with an ohm meter. I just looked at at diagram for a 2004 and there is a audio/acc fuse listed. Don't forget about checking each radio button for one stuck.
You don't say what year the bike is.

Maynardjamesapc

Post by Maynardjamesapc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm

None of the buttons are stuck. The fuse tests good and when I put it back in everything worked....

cihilb

Post by cihilb » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Maynardjamesapc wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm
None of the buttons are stuck. The fuse tests good and when I put it back in everything worked....
Good news. There is a possibility that the radio just LOCKED up. Doesn't happen often, but can.
I assume you had the battery disconnected while doing all the other work. The radio does have a memory circuit that is hot all the time. All it takes is a little arc to confuse the system. Same thing can happen with reconnecting the battery. That's why you disconnect the negative lead first, and reconnect it last. Stops arcing problems.
The same thing can happen if you connected the audio connectors while battery is battery is connected.
Just make a habit of disconnecting the battery any time you are pulling ANY connectors apart. The only thing that will happen is you will lose radio presets and the clock will reset.