Gas mileage has dropped

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
b4u
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Gas mileage has dropped

Postby b4u » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

I have a Honda Goldwing 1800 Trike. A few months ago I was getting 42 MPG, then it dropped! The best I can do is 35.7 on a good day, highway driving, 68 MPH without being a lead-foot! First thing I though of was the air filter, so I changed it, and that didn't help. I have no codes showing and my local mechanic can't figure out why the sudden drop in MPG. No black smoke or white smoke is coming from the exhaust. What's going on? Goldwings get great mileage and mine did, but it suddenly dropped. January is too cold for long trips, so I need to get fixed that month.
Please help!

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: Gas mileage has dropped

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 am

I B4U

The only thing you didn't say how much mileage you have with yours spark plug ????

FlyBoy2121 :)

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am

42 is pretty high. Most guys with trikes that I know don't get that high. Could your figures have been a little off? Also could you have switched from a 100% gas station to a stating that sells ethanol? Also usually everybody's milage drops in cold weather.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 pm

1. When Wing was new got 45mpg
2. After taller/wider windshield, Baker Hand Wings, Baker Upper/Lower Air Wings got 42mpg
3. Recently triked and added Trike Wings getting 38mpg

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

You have added more weight to the bike by adding the trike stuff. Your mileage will go down.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

b4u

Postby b4u » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 pm

I've been using the same gas from the same station, but I switched stations, nothing changed. I'm also using non-alcohol fuel. Weight on the Trike is still the same and I did change plugs. We rode the Trike for 5 months taking vacations, several thousand miles at a time, and the mileage was always 40/42 depending on traffic this past summer. After we left home headed for Missouri I noticed after the first tank of fuel, my mileage had dropped. The mileage never returned to the great mileage I was getting after returning home. It didn't seem to matter about which brand of fuel I bought. I just finished using Sea-Foam, and I'm using Tech Injector cleaner now hoping one of the injectors may not be spraying a even mist. This is a 2005 model Trike with 33,500 miles. I was hoping someone had seen this problem before and had a solution. All of the obvious things I think I've covered. I'm beginning to think my problem may be with one of the sensors, or I may have to clean the computer's memory by grounding the positive side of the battery to the ground. Of course I'll disconnect the Positive side first.
Great answers to this question so far and I'll try anything I haven't tried already. Any replies to this question are appreciated very much.

78AzWing

Postby 78AzWing » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 am

Did all the stations in your area suddenly change to winter formula fuel?

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

78AzWing wrote:Did all the stations in your area suddenly change to winter formula fuel?

I forgot about that. you might have just hit the nail on the head.

b4u

Postby b4u » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm

My gas mileage dropped in August and I live in South Mississippi. I asked the few stations I buy gas from if they had changed to a winter formula and they all looked at me with the "deer-in-the-headlight-look". I think the only thing they change is the price of fuel! Anyway, they wouldn't be changing it in August. Before all this happened, I was getting 39.7 pulling my trailer in hilly country. Something suddenly has gone wrong. I just though someone out there had experenced this problem before or knew someone who had. It's about to drive me nuts trying to figure out what has happened. The 35 MPG is un-acceptable for a GoldWing.

78AzWing

Postby 78AzWing » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 am

Tire pressure, dragging brakes?

As for 35 mpg, I am happy with that. My '78 has never given me more than 40 mpg since I bought her. :D

b4u

Postby b4u » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 pm

I always check tire pressure before I go anywhere and I know the brakes aren't draging. Today I checked the mileage after I filled up and I had gained 1 MPG driving at 55 MPH instead of 65/68, my normal highway speed. But if I (have some fun) let the horses run, I can see the gas needle move. I can't smell any fuel leaking or see any. Tonight one of our club members followed me and said he did not see any white/black smoke coming from exhaust, so all my gas must be burning ok. Saturday will be my second tank of fuel using the Tech injector cleaner. So far the SeaFoam hasn't helped and it doesn't look like the injector cleaner is going to help. I'm still thinking the problem is in a sensor. In talking to the other Trike riders in our club, most are getting 39/45 MPG. One of the two-wheelers is getting 52 MPG on long highway trips, driving at reasonable speed he told me. I wouldn't say a 74 year old man who just returned from a 18 state tour didn't know his bike.
Looks like everyone has abanded us. If you or anyone else out there has anymore suggestions, please feel free to post them. I need help!

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am

Looks like 4 or 5 people have responded at least once. I wouldn't feel abandoned if I were you; its just that no one else has any input. I noticed today that my milage has dropped probably 2 or 3 mpg conpared to a month ago. I attribute it to winter blend and the fact that gas powered engines just don't get as good mpg in cold temps as they do in the summer. However my fpg (fun per gallon) has stayed the same or went up since I am one of the few who try to ride all year long. And, even though I ride about 16K per year, the FUN per gallon is the more important than the mpg for me.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:03 am

I can't begin to imagine how you guys ride to get 40MPG.. I weigh 175lbs and don't consider myself a fast rider, but I never get more than 32mpg from my wing.. I bought the bike to ride and enjoy and have never bothered about the MPG, although when I do look I am always surprised how bad it is.. My car does almost as much and weighs a lot more!! It would be good to know why you have a sudden change in MPG, but ultimately go out and ride and enjoy it.. :)

Gary

b4u

Postby b4u » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 am

We do ride, and ride to enjoy. Since I bought the Trike, Mar/Apr, we've ridden over 13,000. I'm very particular about my equipment. If for no reason that I can think of, my mileage drops 7 MPG, I feel like something has gone wrong. If you see a puddle of oil under your bike, do you over-look the fact that your engine is leaking and drive off?? This happened in the summer, so I'm sure it's not a change of winter fuel. Like I said in other replies, I live way down south. Today we rode with our club (42 members). We all checked our mileage ( all were Trikes) and all were between 42 and 48 except mine. It's your bike and your nickle, but I'm here trying to find out what has happened to my Trike.

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:10 pm

I wonder if there could be a blockage in the airbox, or air intake tract? This is the time of year when various rodents are storing food for the winter, and they seem to have a liking for airboxes. I see quite a few air filters covered with dog food, sunflower seed, acorns, etc.. You would think that if this was the case you might see black smoke from running too rich but who knows :) .

If you have a good relationship with a helpful Honda dealer, they can contact the district service manager and he can do a search for mileage related problems on other bikes similar to yours. He might find something that would point you in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ernie

b4u

Postby b4u » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Ernie,
Good though, and you'll never believe what I found the first time (last May) I changed my air filter. I found a handfull of dog food that had been stored up for the winter. I don't even have a dog!!

This might be of some help for someone out there. After I removed the old filter, I took the screen wire off the bottom of it, there is two pieces, then I cut each peice so it would fit over each of the air intake. You'll have to wrap the screen wire around the intake and secure it with a piece of safety wire or a tie wrap. The wire is big enough so that air can pass through with no problem, but rats, dragon flies and other crawling or flying things can't get in. This might help someone.

I'm still in the process of running a few tanks of fuel through using injector cleaner. If this doesn't help, I'm going to leave the Trike with my mechanic during January since I'll be hunting then anyway and see if he can come up with anything. I though sure someone had experienced something like this before. It's not like a Wing to just suddenly drop mileage without something being wrong. Sometimes this can be a sign ot something else going wrong. I've checked everything I know to check. I suppose the next step will be checking the sensors since they aren't the easiest thing to check.

b4u

Postby b4u » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Looks like no one else has any ideals. So just a quick up date. I've reset the ECM and I'm only getting 35.7. I've checked with a few other Wing riders and they are all getting mileage in their mid-40's. Looks like I'll have to take it to the hospital next month since Jan/Feb is too cold for long trips. Someone suggested the Oxy sensor may be bad, but I don't seem to have a Oxy sensor or Cat. converter since the Trike had high performance exhaust and muffers installed several years ago. If anyone else has any ideals, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rayman
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Rayman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 am

If you belong to any other sites for wings I would post your problem on them and see if anyone has any ideas. There a few other wing sites. Some have specific trike sections. Good Luck.

myYellowbird
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Postby myYellowbird » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:00 am

Everyone is getting a winter blends this time of the year there as been problems in cars, big trucks and bikes do to this. We will have to wait until spring to see if it changes. These fuel companies are playing there games to jack prices any way they can. Remember 3 companies make the fuel and sale it to all the different stations. Same gas different dealers. I would not get to crazy about mileage right now unless its a serious problem.
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 am

I think he started observing this before the stations would have changed to winter blend. Cold weather also has a negative effect on milage but I think he lives more toward the south. I went from 40/41 in Dec. 2010 in Ky to 43/44 in Florida in the same month even though I was using ethanol in Fla. I'll bet my milage would have bee 44/45 in Florida if I could find gas with no corn in it. My bike is not a trike and I am happy with this milage. The guys in my chapter who have trikes all seem to average 38-40 mpg.

b4u

Postby b4u » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Thank you for re-clearing everything about winter-blend fuel down here in the south. I seems like most people replying to this post doesn't read everything I've tried. Now to bring an update to this original post. I put my Trike in the Trike Hospital about a week ago to let my mechanic try to find the problem and as of yesterday he has found nothing wrong with the bike. Now, he does think I might have cleared up one problem and created another one. Here's what happened. When my mileage first dropped, I changed air filters and found a handfull of dog food that a rat had stored in the top of the filter, I don't have a dog!! After changing the filter I took the screen wire off the old filter and put it over the air intake to keep small criters out. My mileage remained low. My mechanic was sitting listening to my engine run and noticed a small fuel knock, but couldn't figure out why. So he took the wire screen off of the intake and the fuel knock stopped. He put it back on and the fuel knock started again. So he took it off and left it off. I'll pick up the bike next Friday and will be riding with our club to an event. I'll be using several tanks of fuel and checking the mileage. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
My mechanic has checked everything from sensor voltages, compression, valve clearance, vaccum leaks, to fuel blow-back and has found nothing. Hope this does the trick. I figured this was something simple, but didn't figure that a wire screen over the intake could make that much difference, and it may not have made a difference. I'll find out next week!!

Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm

I've got about 28K on my bike but haven't changed the air filter yet. Thought I might get around to about April of this year. However, I was going to take the wire screens off the old filter and put over the intake horns. I have read post on other boards abut the screens catching stuff and possibly cutting off air supply. I may have to reconsider putting the wire screens over the intakes.

upssnowman

Postby upssnowman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

at 68 mph 37 is really good
at 45 in the mountains 45-50 is about what to expect
if you go much over 3000 rpm it goes down quickly

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”