heated seat/grips

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

heated seat/grips

Postby frostypop » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm

i have an 06 GW with the heated seat and grips. i bought this bike used with an after market seat on it, all i wanted was the grips to work, come to find out you have to have the stock seat also, so after finding one on ebay and putting it on i still have nothing on the grips or the seat. anyone have any idea? i have been trying to find wiring diagram so i can do a contanuity test on the wireing.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: heated seat/grips

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:05 pm

It's to lengthy to post here. Hope I'm not violating any rules trying to help you here. If so the moderator can delete this poat.
There are many posts about heated seats and grips on http://gl1800riders.com/forums/ There is at least one thread that tells you how to pin the seat connector so the heated grips will work with the heated seat not being present.
The trouble shooting sequence for the comfort system is very involved. You really need the service manual for you bike to do this.
It seems the majority of the inops of the comfort package are cause by a failure within the left grip.
Check all the fuses to start with. Also make sure the seat connector is fully seated, no pins are pushed out of position and that passenger back rest is also plugged in properly as it contains a heating element also.
Good Luck
Dawg

pstroker
Motorcycle: 2002 vt 1100 aero
2007 Gl1800 AirBag
1997 valkyrie

Postby pstroker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 pm

I have a 2007 Airbag model. My seat and grips quit after about 15 min. So I pull in the clutch turn the bike to Acc. and back to on while driving down the road and everything works for another 15 min. and every time I turns the key to Acc. the heat comes back on for about 15 min. Does anyone know which wire I need to wire to my battery to keep the power to the system.

frostypop

Postby frostypop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:46 pm

i did get my stuff working by replacing grips, the left one was bad. but on your problem i dont think you can do what you are wanting to do, the heat system is controled by a computer that moniters everything. im not a mechanic but it could be a wire gets warm and you lose connection or it is a sensor saying it is getting to hot and turns it off. what setting are you running it? and have you tried lower setting. also check fuses. there are some other post on here about heat issues. if you look under the 1800 forum it is close to the top of the page. 8-)

93aspy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 ABS

Postby 93aspy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm

If your experiencing intermittent operation with the grip/seat heat, more than likely you have an issue with the heat controller... This device lives on the left side of the bike behind the saddle bag... There is a multi-pin connector that interfaces the controller with the bike harness... You might try cleaning that connector and it's mating harness... If that fails, I would probably start thinking about a new controller...

I suppose it could be an intermittent connection or possibly an intermittent or bad thermistor but my money would be on the controller itself...

Les
4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Darkside # 1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
Honorary Wild Rhino 6/2014

pstroker
2007 Gl1800 AirBag
1997 valkyrie

Postby pstroker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:19 pm

In the past I had to replace the left hand grip and I also replaced the box behind the left bag. I don't feel that it is getting to hot here is why. As soon as I feel the temp drop I cycle the key to Acc. and the heat up for about another 15 min. I put on 330 miles like that a few weeks ago. If it is an loose wire or intermittent connection it would not work by cycling the key. If i leave everything off and drive 15 min or so and then turn them on they do not work till I cycle the key to Acc. One odd thing is this winter I went to New Mexico and Arizona for a week and it seemed that when the temperature was in the 50 they started to work and never shut off till I shut it down. On the day that it was rainy and cold I had to cycle the key to keep them running. So if cycling the key off and on makes them work then I figured I should just wire it hot all the time..or put a switch in line that i can cycle off and on like I do with the switch or I can run it the why it is, the annoying part is having to set the cruse every time I cycle the key but I stay warm..... I turn the key to acc. so I don't lose my GPS..... If I turn the bike off and back on they work but then I have to get my GPS back up on the fly which is another process but it works.. not sure where to go from here. Maybe I'll put my old controller back on I replaced it when the left grip was my real problem. I have never changed any relays maybe it is getting hot and shutting down and cycling the key energizes it again..... any thoughts..

frostypop

Postby frostypop » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:28 pm

if you have the old controller i would put it in and see what happens. kinda strange you cycle the power off and back on and it starts working. if you go to the post that is listed as (heated seat/grips update still baffling), you will find wiring diagram and trouble shooting advice 8-)

pstroker
2007 Gl1800 AirBag
1997 valkyrie

Postby pstroker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:22 pm

update I replace the heat controller with a new one and still acting the same. I timed it and they stay on 11 min. on #3 setting. The other night on high it stayed on 11 min. also.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:54 pm

There is not computer hook up involved in the Comfort System.
Just an over engineered system w/heat controllers and thermistors.
Could have been so much simpler and more reliable!!!!!

pstroker
2007 Gl1800 AirBag
1997 valkyrie

Postby pstroker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Update

Ok I went out for a ride today I put on 170 miles the temperature was 70 to 75 degrees while I was Riding and this is what I learned so far..
I started out with the hand grips on #2 and after 20 minutes they were still on so i turned the Drivers seat on #2 and after 15 minutes everything was still working. I then bumped the seat up to #3 and after 15 minutes everything was still working. I bumped the seat up to #4 and after 10 minutes the grips and seat shut down. I turned the seat back to #3 and the grips to #2 and cycled the key to acc. and everything worked again and after 15 minutes I increased the the grip heat to #3 after 15 minuets everything was still working so I increased the grip to #4 once again all worked so I bumped up to Max.and everything continued to work.
I turned on the passenger seat on Max. on my way home from town and everything was still working when I got home (had to wait for a train so I kept the bike running). I felt the passenger seat when I got home but could not tell if the seat was working it did not feel hot.. So now I need to find out if the passenger seat is working or not. One thing I know the passenger seat worked when I went on my trip to New mexico and Arizona last march.

With all this information i'm not sure what is bad the seat or the driver seat controller. Anyone have any thought on this.

At least I know that if I don't turn the seat controller up past 3 everything will work and keep working.

Thanks in advance for any help. Bruce

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

There are two thermistors for each heating circuit, and one of their functions is to detect when there is excessive heat. I suspect the heat controller is shutting down due to excessive heat being detected - possibly due to a bad thermistor or two?

In any case, have a look at the diagnostics here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14143#p70668

Pay particular attention to the measuring of the thermistor values. That's where I would start.

And I agree, this system is ridiculously over-engineered, where a simple pulse-width modulation system would have done, without feedback loops getting involved. I suspect the design of the whole heating system was done by Honda liability lawyers rather than actual engineers.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”