converting the rear brake

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
blueskys
Motorcycle: 2002 GL honda trike

converting the rear brake

Postby blueskys » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm

I have 02 goldwing with roadsmih trike conversion the brakes are no longer linked they are front to front and rear to rear.My problem is I have no use of my right leg(due to amputation) I would like to use the front brake lever to work both the front and rear.It's been suggested I just put on a larger MC and some type of adjustable controll valve to give the proper braking to both front and rear. Also does anyone know the amount of fluid and the size of piston in the Honda 1800 front MC? Would appreciate any advice. :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: converting the rear brake

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:14 pm

If you can't find the answer, you could open a bleeder, then give the brake lever a full stroke, and measure the fluid that comes out of the bleeder (you'd need a fairly small test tube or something similar, with gradations on it) to get an approximate cylinder volume.

However...does the Roadsmith kit use a single rear brake, or does it use larger brakes on each wheel? You might be looking at more than you can reasonably manage with a single lever.

blueskys
Motorcycle: 2002 GL honda trike

Postby blueskys » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 am

The roadsmith has 2 disk brakes in the rear. I talked to a trike builder today and his take was to consider using the existing MC but bore out the plunger to a larger size. He also thought the proportioning valve would help. We are waiting to see how the Harley Trike works no since trying to reinvent the wheel.
thanks
Steve

William_86
Motorcycle: GL1500CTF Valkyrie Interstate

Postby William_86 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 pm

For safety reasons, i highly suggest you not to use a single system. cuz it if ever fails you will have no way to stop the bike... have a look at this. this is what you need: http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

rfwicker
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby rfwicker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 pm

you can try using a thumb brake. it is added to the left side handlebar.
maybe these folks can help you out.

http://www.gptechllc.com/handbrake.html

i also saw a trike this year where a gentleman had a front brake lever and master cylinder mounted to the left side handlebar (not a goldwing, his had round bars).
so the layout was clutch lever in normal positon, left handle bar in normal position, and then the rear brake lever. to activate the clutch and rear brake he would place his fingers over the clutch lever and his thumb/palm over the rear brake lever and squeeze. the front brake and throttle grip were not altered.

i hope this helps.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”