Centramatic Wheel Balancers


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 pm



I came accross this one the Gold Wing Stuff website.

With all of the corresondence I've read regarding tire wear on Gold Wings and the improvements this says it brings, I was wondering if anyone here has installed them? If so did they prolong tire wear and provide better handling?

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/29204_Stainless_Centramatic_Goldwing_Wheel_Balancers/

Steve


Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

Bouvier1
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby Bouvier1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:21 am

These appear to be similar to the ceramic beads that are placed inside the tyre which do exactly the same thing. The centramic ones shown appear to be a better idea as you do not have to replace them on each tyre change. I can understand the Balance side of things but for it to prolong the tyre wear! Surely that relies on the Make, Profile, Usage etc.
Bouvier1

User avatar
flash2002
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800
2003

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby flash2002 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 am

I think the idea is good, but a little expensive, on the other hand the beads are cheap and do the same job. If you change your bike you lose the centramatic :( , but with the beads they are good for all bikes :D . If you buy a big bag , you save money :lol: .

User avatar
myYellowbird
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Lake Worth,Fl
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby myYellowbird » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 am

These Centramatic wheel balancers work great on big trucks big difference in the ride also save on tire wear. Had no idea they made them for bikes. I would like to put them on my wing. I just got mine but need to change the stock dunlops to better tire. Great product for ride and tires
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 pm

I talked to Gary at Cyclemax about those, and he said that those who have bought them, say they're great.

That said, for the price, I could buy enough sets of Dyna Beads to last me for the next 20 years or so, and they would work just as well.

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Fully agree that these are pricey compared to the going with the Beads. Some of the reasons I posed the questions are:

- availability of the beads in our area;
- some dealerships don't support/believe in them;
- cost of tires here in Canada compared to the U.S.;
- shop rates hovering at $90.00 Cdn per hour; and
- some dealerships will not install tires unless they are bought thru them.

The bottom line is that I am trying to get as much mileage out of my tires as possible.

I just bought my GW so replacing my OEM's tires with E3's won't take place till next summer. At that time will confirm the availability of the beads.

Again, thats for all the comments.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
frostypop
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Meade, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby frostypop » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

i have an 06 wing, i bought in May 2009, they put new tires on it and balanced them, first thing in June of that year i took a 2700 mile trip 2 people on the bike and pulling about 600 pound trailer behind with cargo included. it has the dunlop d250 on it. i started having uneven wear pretty quick, so i put the dyno beads in that helped alot. then this year i started seeing a dirt ring around my right front fork, in September i started seeing oil. so i got the front fork seals fixed, since then i have probably gone close to a 1000 miles and the tire is starting to wear even. so next spring when i put tires on the dyno beads will be in there. i put them in myself after installtion. i also put them in my pickup tires. wearing great on it. i got them all from wingstuff. if you use them i would make sure and tell whomever works on your tires that they are in there. because spilled onto the floor they are a slip and fall hazard...

User avatar
flash2002
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800
2003

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby flash2002 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am

The place to get dyna-beads in canada.


http://www.dynabeads.ca/

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 am

I have the Centramatic balancers on my 2009 GL1800. They were installed at 6,000 miles and I now have over 17,000 miles on stock Dunlop D250's with a few thousand miles of wear left on them. I do think I can get 20,000 miles on the factory tires. It is not just the extra mileage you get out of a tire but it does change the handling of the bike some also.
I think it is one of the best investments I have put on the bike.
When you get a new bike, they are very easy to remove the balancers and install them on the new bike. The rear balancer is installed on the wheel hub before you install the wheel. The front balancers are under the disc brake rotors. You will need to remove the wheel and rotors to take them off. If you have a lift, you can install them in an hour or so. But note they only fit a GL1800 at this time, will not fit a GL1500. When Honda comes out with a new model, if it doesn't fit, Centramatic will make one for that model.
When you put the balancers on, you remove all the wheel weights. You will not need them.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:46 am

2008retiredplb wrote:I have the Centramatic balancers on my 2009 GL1800. They were installed at 6,000 miles and I now have over 17,000 miles on stock Dunlop D250's with a few thousand miles of wear left on them. I do think I can get 20,000 miles on the factory tires. It is not just the extra mileage you get out of a tire but it does change the handling of the bike some also.
I think it is one of the best investments I have put on the bike.
When you get a new bike, they are very easy to remove the balancers and install them on the new bike. The rear balancer is installed on the wheel hub before you install the wheel. The front balancers are under the disc brake rotors. You will need to remove the wheel and rotors to take them off. If you have a lift, you can install them in an hour or so. But note they only fit a GL1800 at this time, will not fit a GL1500. When Honda comes out with a new model, if it doesn't fit, Centramatic will make one for that model.
When you put the balancers on, you remove all the wheel weights. You will not need them.


I have the same ride and tires mentioned. Just curious here, what tire pressure do you run your D250's at?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:50 pm

I run 41-42 psi on rear and 36-38 psi on front. I have run as high as 40 psi on the front.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the info. I run 40 PSI front and rear on my Valkyrie and do the same on my GW. With my Valkyrie I managed to get 30K KM's from a set of which half was city driving. I might add that was also riding solo.

After reading all of the pro's and con's it would seem they do make a difference. The biggest draw back appears to be the cost over using beads.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 am

Yes the cost is a factor, but if you own the bike for many years and put on miles like I do, around 70K miles in five years, then changing tires every 15K to 20K and having to deal with beads is a hassle also, especially if you are on a trip. I was able to install the balancers myself in about 2 hours, and will not have to do it again until I change bikes.
The 2009 has the tire pressure monitor system on it and my personal feeling is that I would be worried about having beads in contact with the sensor inside the tires. I also wonder about wear on the inside of the tires with beads rolling around inside the tires.
For me, I felt it was better to go with the balancers than beads.
I ride about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time two up (over 400 lbs. combined) and also pull a cargo trailer or Bunkhouse camper trailer 1/4 to 1/3 of the time.
If I don't trike the 2009 bike this winter, I am going to try Bridgestone tires as my next set.
On my 2001 GL1800 I have been running Dunlop E3's and they are very noisy at highway speeds. I also used the larger 180/70R16 rear tire on the 2001. That corrected the speedometer so it reads very close to actual speed, not 8 to 10% higher than your actual speed.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

candycalientered
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Decorah, Iowa
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Comfort/Nav

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby candycalientered » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

I see that others have already replied with good comments. I purchase a pair from WingStuffin April '10. The the black pwder coated version. Just about when I was to have them installed out comes the new stainlessteel version. Thus I've never had the black ones installed. Had considered sending back the black for exchange for s/s but likely it's too late. Perhaps will purchase new s/s in the spring and get them installed.

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

With winter here and a bit of time on my hands (not being able to ride :cry: ), the one question I have for those with the Centramatic's, is there any extra noise with these on? And if so, at what speeds?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:50 am

There is no noise from the Centramatic balancers at any speed. Any noise you will get will be from your tires not the balancers. The balancers do not make it any worse. They might even quiet tire noise some as the tire wears, but very little if any.
You will not even know they are on the bike with the exception of the bike handles better at highway speeds.

I just wanted to add this. I have never known, or heard of anyone that has put these on that didn't like them and have never heard of anyone that had them, and either removed them or did not have them on a newer bike (unless they changed to a model that they would not fit).
"Love to ride and ride to love"

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 am

While I was looking at installing the Centramatics this season, due to the cost and effort to install I'm thinking of going with the Dyna Beads for this set of tires. A friend of mine has them on his sports bike and swears by them.

My 2009 has the OEM TPS system on it. The questions I have are: with the TPS can I still install them thru the stem Valve? As I have the Dunlop D250's, I believe the correct amount is 2 OZ's front and rear.

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
frostypop
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Meade, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby frostypop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:56 am

according to http://www.wingstuff.com you will have to put them in at the time you mount your tires instead of through the valve stem. you can also call them, i am sure they will be happy to talk to you, they have been very friendly to me when i have contacted them.
i have run the dyna beads for the past year and very happy with them. got a fork seal leak fixed and they have pretty much to the cupping out of the tire. i will put new tires on this year and will be using them again. 8-)
chris
Last edited by frostypop on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
myYellowbird
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Lake Worth,Fl
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
Audio,Comfort,Navi,Xm
Pearl Yellow

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby myYellowbird » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Centramatics work great have them on the big rig i drive there just a little expensive. I put in some dyna beads 2ozs front 3oz for the rear. But just found a nail in my rear tire. Will be going to the darkside will have get new beads may try saving the ones in the old tire. This were centramatics will pay off, just have to save up for them
[img]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8206/small2img1727.jpg{img]

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm

frostypop wrote:according to http://www.wingstuff.com you will have to put them in at the time you mount your tires instead of through the valve stem. you can also call them, i am sure they will be happy to talk to you, they have been very friendly to me when i have contacted them.
i have run the dyna beads for the past year and very happy with them. got a fork seal leak fixed and they have pretty much to the cupping out of the tire. i will put new tires on this year and will be using them again. 8-)
chris


frostypop:
Just wondering what kind of added tire mileage do you get with the dyna beads?
Also what did you get without the beads and what tires do you run?

I have seen posts on some of the boards that say they get anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 miles on Dunlop D250's. The other day I read a for sale add that the owner had 11,000+ miles on his bike and had 2,000 miles on the second set of tires. I have 17,000 miles on the factory set that came on the bike, and am sure I will get at least 20,000 miles before they will need to be replaced. If that is the type of extra miles I can get with the Centramatic balancers than they will pay for themselves in only one or two tire changes. That alone would convince me they were worth the price I paid and doesn't even count the better handling.
As far as installing them, I did it myself. It is not that hard of a job. If you have only some basic mechanic skills you can do it. Just helps if you have a motorcycle lift.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

User avatar
frostypop
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Meade, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby frostypop » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

2008retiredplb wrote:
frostypop wrote:according to http://www.wingstuff.com you will have to put them in at the time you mount your tires instead of through the valve stem. you can also call them, i am sure they will be happy to talk to you, they have been very friendly to me when i have contacted them.
i have run the dyna beads for the past year and very happy with them. got a fork seal leak fixed and they have pretty much to the cupping out of the tire. i will put new tires on this year and will be using them again. 8-)
chris


frostypop:
Just wondering what kind of added tire mileage do you get with the dyna beads?
Also what did you get without the beads and what tires do you run?

I have seen posts on some of the boards that say they get anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 miles on Dunlop D250's. The other day I read a for sale add that the owner had 11,000+ miles on his bike and had 2,000 miles on the second set of tires. I have 17,000 miles on the factory set that came on the bike, and am sure I will get at least 20,000 miles before they will need to be replaced. If that is the type of extra miles I can get with the Centramatic balancers than they will pay for themselves in only one or two tire changes. That alone would convince me they were worth the price I paid and doesn't even count the better handling.
As far as installing them, I did it myself. It is not that hard of a job. If you have only some basic mechanic skills you can do it. Just helps if you have a motorcycle lift.



right now i have around 12800 miles on my tires..part of that time i am going to guess about 5500 miles was regular balance..my front tire was chopping at around 2500 miles..in January of 2010 i put the beads in..it smoothed it out some..then like i said the about the fork seal leaking did not help with the tires..i think i could have done better with if not for that..i still could probalby get another 2000 miles but i am down to the wear indicator now..if you hit rain or wet pavement could be trouble..this is the first time i have used these..i think they are worth it..i should be able to tell on my next set of tires..i was thinking about bridgestones..they had good reviews...on my gl1500 i had put dunlop E3's on it and had around 15000 miles on them and they were just regular balanced..if i remember right...you also have to remember everyone has different driving habits..if you are the ride it like you stole it type you are not going to get the mileage..and if you pull a trailer like i do ounce or twice a year that will effect it..at least the rear for sure...
hope that helps...
chris :)

User avatar
2008retiredplb
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Rockford, IL
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby 2008retiredplb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 am

To frostypop:
Just noticed that you stated that you have 12800 miles on your 2006 GL1800 with dyna beads. If you look at my posts you will see I have 17000 miles on my original factory D250's and still have at least 2-3000 miles left on them. I installed the centramatic balancers at 6600 miles. To me that will pay for the balancers in just over one new set of tires. The biggest benefit was the improved ride. You need to ride a bike with them installed and you will know what I mean. Improved tire mileage, improved ride handling, what is that worth? How many people will skimp on stuff like this but spend hundreds on accessories. For me I would spend it first on safety equipment and accessories then with what I have left I would look at dressing the bike up with chrome and lights.
Attachments
My newest bike, 2009 GL1800
My newest bike, 2009 GL1800
"Love to ride and ride to love"

User avatar
frostypop
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Meade, Kansas
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby frostypop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 pm

2008retiredplb wrote:To frostypop:
Just noticed that you stated that you have 12800 miles on your 2006 GL1800 with dyna beads. If you look at my posts you will see I have 17000 miles on my original factory D250's and still have at least 2-3000 miles left on them. I installed the centramatic balancers at 6600 miles. To me that will pay for the balancers in just over one new set of tires. The biggest benefit was the improved ride. You need to ride a bike with them installed and you will know what I mean. Improved tire mileage, improved ride handling, what is that worth? How many people will skimp on stuff like this but spend hundreds on accessories. For me I would spend it first on safety equipment and accessories then with what I have left I would look at dressing the bike up with chrome and lights.

i just put on a set of dunlop E 3's on my bike this weekend i put the dyna beads out of the old tires in the new ones, i should say my mechanic did it for me. i will see how many miles i get out of these. i had 13200 miles on the D250's, and i had cordes showing through in a couple of spots on the back tire, way too close for safe riding...back to the dyna beads though, i think they help the handling also. if i do not get the mileage i hope to, i do believe i will be trying out the centramatic balancers...if i can get the mileage you are getting i agree that they will be worth it. but if i can get that same mileage or close to it with the beads they will be worth it too. i also agree with you about putting the money into the safety first and comfort. also i would like to add i am not trying to talk anyone out of the centramatic balancers, i for one at this time could not afford to lay out that much money for something that was fairly new to me and not have it work. but further investigation and reading testimonials like yours i believe they do work, so i am going to start saving my money...and i will keep you posted on this new set of tires... 8-) chris
Attachments

BugEyedTurkey
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A Goldwing

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby BugEyedTurkey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 am

I would whole heartedly recommend the Centramatic balancers; here is a link to them (be sure & take a look at their videos): http://centramatic.com/ (click on motorcycles) and found to be much superior to the Dyna beads (easier to install, also). Significent improvement in stability of the entire bike, almost doubled tire mileage, etc. Nope, NO connection to Centramatic... just a highly pleased customer!

User avatar
Virginia Beach Wing
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800
2008 Burgman 650

Re: Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Postby Virginia Beach Wing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 pm

I have to say I have ridden a friends 1800 without the Centramatic and Mine with and the handling difference alone is worth the price of admission. I have heard good things about the beads but would be concerned about them interfering with air pressure sending units.


Virginia Beach Wing
2008 Honda Goldwing
All the Bells and Whistles and then some
2008 Burgman 650 "GoldBurg"


Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest