engine oil

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
blueskys
Motorcycle: 2002 GL honda trike

engine oil

Postby blueskys » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:20 am

Ok I've read several answers to the question which oil to use in the 1800 GL. The previous owner of my trike said never use synthetic and only use Honda oil. The manual says use API SF or SG. I've searched the selves and I only found Mobil I racing 4 stroke @ $8.49 per Qt. that meets the recommended API. I know many use Rottela and Mobil I both regular and synthetic and have good results. Helppppp :?:
Blueskys

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: engine oil

Postby detdrbuzzard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm

autozone, orileys, andadvanced auto parts have regular castrol 10w 40 for motorcycles for about $5.00 a quart. i've used castrol since the early '80's use what oil you feel comfortable with. who bottles the oil for honda anyway
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

trikemaster
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby trikemaster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Synthetic oil is no problem, make sure that it's wet clutch compatible, some are not. I've used Amsoil since the bike was new (4000 mi) It's a bit more expensive, I change it twice per year. There's not much sense in using a synthetic if you change every 4000 mi. Another advantage of Amsoil is, it is compatible with petroleum blends. This means if you run low on the road you can mix with any oil

dkenny
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A

Postby dkenny » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Hay trikemaster, how many miles do you put on the trike in 6 months ?
Currently I average 90 miles per day, I use honda oil and replace every 4,000 miles.
thats about every 3 to 4 months or so.

trikemaster
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby trikemaster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

I put 15,000,20000 per year

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 am

You certainly can't go wrong using the honda oil (regular or synthetic, both are acceptable in honda's book, since they sell them both at the dealership if you go asking for oil for the wing)...I'm pretty sure that the oil honda brands is made by Idemitsu...if you are under warranty, you know honda can't say anything about using their oil, but they could threaten to not cover things if they know you are using rotella synth as the 5w that it comes in is not within spec; its my understanding that the non synth rotella meets the requirements for jaso ma, but shell didnt put it on the label because they market a motorcycle specific oil and they didnt want it to compete...

I've run rotella synth with no issues, but I would rather have something within the spec the manual calls for; last time I changed the oil, I put in the honda oil because I happened to be over at the dealership for something else and the mechanic let me use his service bay to change my own oil.

The owners manual calls for oil changes at 8k intervals, unless you live in "abusive climates" like coastal areas or the south...in which case it cuts the intervals in half (that may only be in the service manual, don't remember where I saw it)...at any rate, I tend to change my oil between 4k-7k , as around 5k I notice issues with my transmission (impending bent shift fork) that smooth out if I change out for a fresh pan of oil.

Amsoil claims you can double the change interval to 16k and/or 1year when you use their oil AND their filter; their oil and filter are rather spendy, but if you only ride about that many miles a year, it may be worth it for convenience...but then again, honda doesn't endorse it, and if you have to go get engine warranty work (a far remote possibility), honda may gripe about the oil...then you should follow suit by making them prove the oil is the problem...then you'll have to go to amsoil to get the issue covered, as it would fall under an amsoil warranty issue...I wouldn't worry about it though, run what you're comfortable with at least close to spec and change it often and you'll likely have no problems.

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

I use AmsOil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in my goldwing. I change oil at 5,000 mile intervals but when I drain it the oil that comes out is no where near as dirty as regular oil at 2,000 miles. I don't worry about being a few miles over 5,000 if I am on a long trip. Using that change difference the oil could cost more that twice the price of regular oil and still be cheaper in the long run. And I don't have to take the time to do the extra changes. Also I don't think that spending a little more on oil for a $25,000 bike is foolish. Honda HP4 will cost almost the same price per qt. AmsOil change intervals for: Normal & Severe: Up to 2 X OEM* recommendations for conventional petroleum oil, not to exceed 15,000 miles or 1 year. This right from there website. Also by becoming a preferred customer you will save at least 15% on your orders. A Qt of this oil will cost right now $8.00 plus shipping, but purchase it in gallon jugs and it is a little cheaper. I also supply a few other people with their oil needs and that way I split the cost of being a preferred customer. Since your GL1800 takes 4 qt.. why not save a little and use gallon jugs. I also use synthetic oil in the final drive. I haven't used their filters yet but might try them sometime in the future. I will probably use Honda filters until I run out of warranty. I do know of a case of using an off brand filter that leaked and caused a engine failure (not a Goldwing) and the manufacture of the engine would not cover the warranty. I have never heard of a case where oil was a factor in denying a claim as long as the oil meets the manufactures specs.
I know many will disagree on using AmsOil or some even on using synthetic oils, but as for me I am convinced it is better oil as it is made for the type of application you use it for. I had a friend that used Harley Oil in his Harley and when he changed to synthetic oil it lowered the temperature of the crankcase oil so much that he thought the dipstick gauge was wrong. I would say that proves the oil is lowering friction and wear. I also had used regular oil in my 1100 Shadow, and when I changed to synthetic it shifted quieter and smoother. In my GL1800 when I switched to AmsOil from Mobil 1 it shifted quieter.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”