Kuryakyn Chrome

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Kuryakyn Chrome

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:09 am

I have posted about Kuryakyn chrome on this board and GWRRA boards to let people know how bad Kuryakyn is in backing their products. I also went to WingStuff and posted the same type of answer. But to my surprise, I could not believe that people would give a product (Kuryakyn Trunk Rack) a 4 or 5 star rating when they had chrome bubbling after only a year or two. If their product does that after such a short time than what quality is it? Then what about customer service? They will not do anything if the product is over one year old (from date of purchase) even though part of the year (3 to 4 months in the midwest) the bike is in the garage in storage. In comparison, the only chrome that I have that does this is the Kuryakyn. If you only get 1 or 2 years out of a product that is over priced in the first place, than they can keep it and sell it over seas where it was made. I will not buy something that cost around $200 just to have it look good for a year or two. I will find another manufacture that will stand behind their product. I think you should get at least 5 to 10 years out of good quality chrome products. Especially since most of us polish and clean our bikes quite often. Also the rack is made out of billet aluminum and should not rust or bubble anyway. I maybe could see it if it was made out of mild steel but not aluminum.
Think of Honda, they will cover their chrome for a much as 7 years if you purchase the extended warranty. But they don't have the problems with theirs. All of us know people that have bikes that are 10 to 15 years old and the original Honda chrome is still in good condition. Does that tell you anything about chrome and quality. It does to me. Kuryakyn can keep theirs.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Kuryakyn Chrome

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 am

Only a few comments about Kury.
It seems to be the rider floorboards and the plated aluminum racks are causing the majority of the problems.
The rack being aluminum does not affect what happens to the chrome plating unless it is not preped correctly for plating. The plating can still bubble, peel and rust, especially on any item that has sharp, rathered than radiused corners.
I, like you, can not believe people keep buying from this company but, the majority of the owners are not members of these boards and are unaware of any concerns. A non-caring Dealer is certainly not going to say anything as he's done as soon as the sale is made. A dealer just refers you to the manufacturers warranty, in a lot a instances, when you return to complain.
Also, as you will probably find out, you will be overwhelmed w/responsors that have experienced no problems, while most that have had problems will remain mute as they don't want to make it known they bought these products even after seeing many posts like yours.

joe c
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby joe c » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 am

Kuryakyn is in business for the reason most are........for the buck.
Their quality started downhill when their goods were made in China. I'm sure they have a contract with whoever makes their goods, and have to honor the terms. Maybe they'll get enough complaints to go back to Taiwan or even the good old U.S.A. for their accessories. Until then, all we can do is buy from other aftermarket companies.....Rivco, Add On, etc. And keep complaining to Kuryakyn....especially at their motorcycle shows. Bring a piece of their chrome and show it to them...and then hang around outside their tent and show it to prospective customers. I'd be curious to see Kuryakyn's response to that!

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Joe C,
I think you are right on about showing up at their shows with the chrome that bubbles, comes off and pits. Let them know what you think right in front of potential customers. Make them listen the only way we seem to be able to, through their pocketbook.
I'll be there.

english charlie
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby english charlie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:55 am

Your right, Kuryakyn Chrome is rubbish, every Kuryakyn part on my 06 GL1800 has problems.
All my ShowChrome parts which are about the same age have no problems.
I have also a 05 Honda Shadow 600 VLX which I use daily to ride to work and is not taken care of, like I do the wing. You are right about Honda chrome, it doe's last even without taking care of.
Kuryakyn in my mind are a bad company to deal with. I also have 97 Chevy truck and the the chrome bumpers do not show any rust, so why is it some parts go bad and others stay good.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:21 am

The international Motorcycle Show is coming to Chicago in February and it might be a good time to see if Kuryakyn is there. I would remove it just to show everyone visiting their booth the crap products their sell. I didn't get anywhere with customer service even when I let them know that I replaced it for much less than they were going to charge. I would have switched to another brand if I knew the holes would match. A new trunk lid cost way more than the rack.

english charlie

Postby english charlie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for your reply, but Chicago in February is out for me as it would cost more to go from North Carolina to Chicago than the rack is worth. What I will do is leave it on the bike for all to see in my travels then in the Spring I will take a ride down to Myrtle Beach South Carolina and see if I can deal with it there. I will put the bike right in front of the Kuryakyn stand for all to see and then see what happens.
Thanks

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 pm

english charlie wrote:Thanks for your reply, but Chicago in February is out for me as it would cost more to go from North Carolina to Chicago than the rack is worth. What I will do is leave it on the bike for all to see in my travels then in the Spring I will take a ride down to Myrtle Beach South Carolina and see if I can deal with it there. I will put the bike right in front of the Kuryakyn stand for all to see and then see what happens.
Thanks

Thats the way we all should handle this type of problem. Let others know how poor a product and customer service they have. Sooner or later they will get the point and improve or quit producing garbage chrome. Like I have said many times, I talk to a lot of bikers and I let everyone know what kind of a company they are.

You might have a better chance of seeing Kuryakyn reps in Florida than at the Motorcycle show. I can't find them as a vendor on the listings. But I will talk to companies that sell bikes.

davegr1
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing 1800GL Comf/Navi

Postby davegr1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Okay, so I just picked up my wing.. I was going to add the floorboards, but... I came across this post. Thank you for saving me the hassle. Ill look into buying another brand.
Dave Greer
2006 1800GL
2009 Vulcan 900
2007 Yamaha 650
2001 CBR900RR

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Not sure what brand is the best but I just know that Kuryakyn is crap chrome.
Both my brother and I have had trouble with Kury chrome and will not use theirs again. He has floorboards, heel-toe shifter, brake pedal, passenger transformer boards that all have chrome problems. I have a trunk rack and passenger transformer boards that have problems. Kuryakyn will do nothing it it is over one year old. We both keep our bikes quite clean and polished and store them in a garage.
You would not believe the number of people I have talked to about this problem and they also have problems if the chrome is only a few years old. If it is the older stuff, then they don't have as much trouble.

english charlie

Postby english charlie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Ya as I said before, Kuryakyn crap. All the parts you have mentioned, mine are the same, I cannot believe Kuryakyn are still in operation. In my occupation of boat building, one bad boat doe's a lot of damage in the boating world, it can bring a company down in a heart beat.

won by 1
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS
2006 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Kawasaki EX-R

Postby won by 1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

"Kuryakyn"
Kuryakyn: Chinese for- Chrome's-a-peelin'
Bought the floorboards. Expensive, but the wife liked them. Two years later they were a mess. I took them to the Kuryakyn booth at Americade. They replaced them for free! Nice. Two years later... okay, you get it.
Bought the exhaust turn downs. As I was installing them, the chrome peeled off in my hand.
On the brighter side, they're design and style is very nice and their chrome stays on plastic pretty well. Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" (Where did that ever come from anyway? Please don't answer.) Just stay away from anything metal with chrome on it. It's temporary. If you have to have it, buy two so you can be set for three or four years.

PS: If you see an advertisement with this post, I didn't endorse it. I noticed an add for "Just Answer" Wow, are they ever out to lunch.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 pm

won by 1 wrote:"Kuryakyn"
Kuryakyn: Chinese for- Chrome's-a-peelin'
Bought the floorboards. Expensive, but the wife liked them. Two years later they were a mess. I took them to the Kuryakyn booth at Americade. They replaced them for free! Nice. Two years later... okay, you get it.
Bought the exhaust turn downs. As I was installing them, the chrome peeled off in my hand.
On the brighter side, they're design and style is very nice and their chrome stays on plastic pretty well. Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" (Where did that ever come from anyway? Please don't answer.) Just stay away from anything metal with chrome on it. It's temporary. If you have to have it, buy two so you can be set for three or four years.

PS: If you see an advertisement with this post, I didn't endorse it. I noticed an add for "Just Answer" Wow, are they ever out to lunch.

How did you get them to replace the floorboards?
When I talked to Kuryakyn about my (just over 1 year old) trunk rack they give me some song and dance about how they did not know what I was washing the bike with that would pit the chrome (it is bubbling from underneath).
Funny thing is, Kuryakyn is the only stuff that seems to have the problem. Then to make it worse, they offered to replace it if I would purchase a new one at a 20% discount, That is about $20 more than I paid for it in the first place. As far as I am concerned Kuryakyn can go pound dirt, if you know what I mean. Both me and my brother have had the same trouble with Kuryakyn. We also have had some problems with their lights.

won by 1
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS
2006 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Kawasaki EX-R

Postby won by 1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 pm

2008retiredplb wrote:How did you get them to replace the floorboards? ...

I've heard that this is unheard of (pardon the pun) with Kury., but here's the scoop:
1. I must have gotten the right guy at the right time.
2. He told me to order the new boards after I got home, and to relay a message so they know I'm for real.
3. He gave me the whole schmeal about "what do you clean it with, blah, blah, blah. I told him Honda Cleaner. He said that it couldn't have been the cause. Right, whatever. Everyone who buys these things has a problem, and it's the way they clean them, right? I'm sure.

I had a good experience with them. Don't translate that to mean they have good customer service. I don't expect that to happen again. Actually, I know it won't. I don't have their products on the new 'Wing, except for one item that is chrome plated plastic. As I mentioned previously, their chrome on plastic seems to last much better. Don't blame ya for being upset; their stuff ain't cheap.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I guess you were one of the lucky ones.

I will confront Kuryakyn at one of the vender booths at a show sometime this year and see what they have to say.

But for now I just need to dig out of this record snowfall. 13.2 inches in the last snowstorm. Set a record for the largest snowfall for February in history, and fourth largest ever for Rockford, IL.
Can't wait for warm weather to get some riding in.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Was out in the garage today and looking over my bike. Noticed the chrome starting to bubble some more places on the trunk rack and it was cleaned, polished and put away in November. Now if it is good quality chrome, than it should not be continuing to do that when clean and put away. It never gets that cold or wet in my garage in the winter as it is insulated. I have a thermometer that never read less than 41 degrees. So to me it shows that the Kuryakyn chrome was not prepared properly before it was chromed. Another great idea from good old China. Lets keep sending our hard earned money over there so they can send us all their inferior products.
And Yes I am a retired US union worker. Buy AMERICAN when ever possible. Have to think hard about wither I will ever look at buying a new Goldwing as long as it is made in Japan. At least I used to have the ability to tell my union friends that my Goldwing was build with more of it by US products and labor than their Harley. Can't say that now.

GRAPEAPE94

Postby GRAPEAPE94 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 pm

I agree with other posts. All of my Kuryakyn chrome started peeling in less than a year. I don't know how Show Chrome does it, but, I have had no problems with their products for the past 4 years on my '06 Wing.

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

I have purchased my last Kuryakyn product.... I now refer to their stuff a "pure crap again" vise kuryakyn...
Last edited by Ed Z on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am

I think the biggest thing we can do, is to let Kuryakyn know how we feel and until they change both their chrome and how it is done and their warranty for the crap they sell.
I tell everybody I talk to, that has a motorcycle, how they deal with poor quality products and have poor customer service/warranty.
Keep letting your friends and other motorcycle riders know, to stay away from Kuryakyn. In this economy, that will hurt them more that anything else we can do. If you are at a show or rally, talk to the Kuryakyn people or even the venders that sell Kuryakyn.
Post messages on other boards about it and keep the motorcycle community informed about it.
Any Chrome that is prepared properly should last for many years. Like the chrome on some of the older Goldwings. It is 10 to 15 years or older and still looks good. Should only take a little polish and wash to keep it looking good.

ryland
Motorcycle: 1997 Gl1500se goldwing

Postby ryland » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:24 pm

what brand do you recomend for floor boards then

ryland

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 am

Ryland
You might try Rivco products.
I know there are some other manufactures that make floorboards for GoldWings. You might google them and see what comes up. Be sure to check the reviews to see if people get good life out of their chrome and don't have problems with poor products or customer service.
Saying that, I know that some reviews have rated Kuryakyn high but then complain the chrome goes bad in just a short time (less than two years). It's time people tell it like it is. How do you review a product and give it a 5 rating (on a scale of 1 to 5) If the product is poor. Let the company know your dissatisfied and let other bike owners know how you were treated by there customer service department. That is what I have been trying for some time now. I do know you can have a bad piece of chrome at times. But it really makes it bad when the company will not stand behind their product. Does anybody think 14 months is the lifetime of good chrome? I don't think so. Especially when it is kept inside for four months durning the winter and costs around $200.00 new.
I just talked to a friend that has a lot of Kuryakyn chrome on his GL1800 (2004) and all of it is now starting to bubble and pit. Now if I didn't know how clean he keeps his bike I would think it might be expected. But I know he cleans his bike every time after he takes it out. It is spotless when you see it. But also he compares it to the original Honda chrome that looks new.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 pm

ryland wrote:what brand do you recomend for floor boards then

ryland

I would not know who to recommend, but if anyone is willing to give the Kuryakyn a try at less than retail price, I have a set of floorboards with heel toe shifter and brake pedal that I would sell for about half price. I had them on for less than a day, and found my legs to be too short to get around the boards. So, if you have 30" inseams, floorboards are probably not ideal.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 am

themainviking wrote:

ryland

I would not know who to recommend, but if anyone is willing to give the Kuryakyn a try at less than retail price, I have a set of floorboards with heel toe shifter and brake pedal that I would sell for about half price. I had them on for less than a day, and found my legs to be too short to get around the boards. So, if you have 30" inseams, floorboards are probably not ideal.

Personally, I would not even own them at 75% off. Because they will not last more than a couple of years before the chrome will start to pit or bubble. So good luck on getting rid of them.
I know someone that might take them for $20.00. Sorry, thats the best I would do.

Wingrider55
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800

Postby Wingrider55 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:43 am

2008retiredplb wrote:
themainviking wrote:

ryland

Personally, I would not even own them at 75% off. Because they will not last more than a couple of years before the chrome will start to pit or bubble. So good luck on getting rid of them.
I know someone that might take them for $20.00. Sorry, thats the best I would do.

I won't buy any more Kuryakyn chrome for my bike as all of there chrome is junk. I have about $1500 of there junk chrome now and just about all of it is bubbling. The bubbling has nothing to do with the way I take care of my bike as all the factory chrome and other aftermarket chrome is fine.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”