24,000 mile tune up

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

24,000 mile tune up

Postby Fred Blind » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:44 pm

How important is it to bring the bike in for the 24,000 mile tune up, they charge a pretty penny to do the job?
My O5 is running great what are your thoughts.

Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Re: 24,000 mile tune up

Postby dragon2000 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I am not sure what the shop labour rates are there in FL however here they are pretty high. Things to consider which you can probably do a visual inspection of to save some funds. If you have the tools and buddy you can do some of them yourself which are:
- spark plugs;
- changing air filter (the most labour intensive);
- inspect brake pads (wear dependant on type of type of driving e.g city - highway);
- changing the oil which should be a regular maintenance item;
- flush the antifreeze;
- change brake fluid;
- change final drive oil; and
- replace clutch fluid.

All of the above items are listed in the maintenace manual for the 24k mile mark (inspect or replace). In some cases it is cheaper to pick up the parts at another place other than the dealer which will also lower your costs should you not be able to do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Postby upssnowman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 am

I'd try and find a winger near you that would be glad to help you do it yourself, nothing is hard
but how many years beside mileage do you have on the anti-freeze and plugs and filter?
plugs at napa are a lot cheaper ,about $2.32 each, ask for the stock number in book, buy the antifreeze at a honda car dealer it's cheaper
filter has to come from Honda or on-line honda places, and oil filter
final drive oil at autozone get 75-90 mobil one synthetic
dot 4 brake fluid at napa for clutch and brakes, any good brand I usually get prestone, make sure it's dot 4 not 3

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:34 pm

All those things listed are fairly easy to do and you will always do them cheaper yourself.

The recommended service list is just a guide. The dealer loves to see you coming back for service. That's probably where most of the $$$ are made.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”