Activate Nav while moving

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Activate Nav while moving

Postby jinx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Try this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage to you or your bike from this mod.

If you would like to be able to activate the nav while under speed try this.
Wire a 12vdc relay to the reverse relay and ground. this can be done under the seat.
The reverse relay is labeled RVS relay in the relay cluster under the seat. It is the one on the bottom row clutch side. Splice into the yellow red wire.This wire will have 12vdc on it with the ign on and the RVS button out and 0 vdc with the RVS button pressed in.

Cut the speed sense line, the Wh/Bl to the nav board in the truck. This can also be done under the seat. wire the speed sense wires to the normally open contacts on the relay.

Use a low current draw relay. the ELK-912 is a good choice and is about $9.00 on the internet.

Now when you turn the ign. on 12vdc will be applied to the relay closing the contacts.
This passes the speed sense sign to the nav board. If you press the RVS button the
12vdc is removed from the relay opening the contact for the speed sense line allowing you to activate the nav while under speed.

To test this mod put your bike on the center stand, make sure the rear wheel is off the ground,start the engine, carefully put the bike in fourth gear and press the RVS button. Now press the Enter key on the nav panel.

The wing has built in safe guards to prevent the reverse gear from engaging if
the rvs button is press while under speed.

While the RVS button is pressed in the nav will not update so if you forget to release the RVS button
after you activate the map will not change.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Activate Nav while moving

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:51 am

I have removed my smart a_ _ comment. Don't know why I thought it would be funny rather than hurtful. Please accept my heart felt apologies.
Dawg
Last edited by tfdeputydawg on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 am

I read your post but having a 1500 it didn't really apply to me.

I am a little confused as to what is happening that would require this mod and am curious as I hope some day to have a bike with Nav.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 pm

cbx4evr wrote:I read your post but having a 1500 it didn't really apply to me.

I am a little confused as to what is happening that would require this mod and am curious as I hope some day to have a bike with Nav.

The 1800's nav system locks out the user interface while the bike is in motion - it's a little "lawyer feature" so that Honda doesn't get sued by people who were trying to reprogram their GPS while riding, but it's highly annoying, because making the slightest change to the GPS requires pulling over to the side of the road.

I would have probably just installed a separate override switch, but jinx's solution, which utilizes the RVS button, which has no function when the bike is in motion, is elegant and workable. I like it!

jinx

Postby jinx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm

On 06 thru 08 you must do more than just opening the speed sense line.
It is necessary to the reverse switch. Others have rewired the clutch switch.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The 1800's nav system locks out the user interface while the bike is in motion - it's a little "lawyer feature" so that Honda doesn't get sued by people who were trying to reprogram their GPS while riding, but it's highly annoying, because making the slightest change to the GPS requires pulling over to the side of the road.

That's just stupid but in a way you can see why. Too many distracted drivers now.

Does explain why I see some people with Nav. on their Wing also having a GPS mounted.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 pm

cbx4evr wrote:That's just stupid but in a way you can see why. Too many distracted drivers now.

Does explain why I see some people with Nav. on their Wing also having a GPS mounted.

Either that, or they decided to buy a separate portable GPS because it's cheaper than updating the database in the built-in Honda unit. :)

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:46 am

Another option for the relay is a Radio Shack #275-248

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Not having an 1800, this mod is not pertinent to me but there is something that non-nav owners need to know.

The on-board Honda Nav is no where near as versatile as an aftermarket GPS.
The on board Nav can not be turned on or off unless the bike is not moving.
You can not change anything on the nav unit while under way.
There is no speed indications available with the on board nav.
And, like the CB radio, it is way more expensive that it needs to be.
I personally will never pay for an on-board Nav unit. An aftermarket GPS just makes so much more sense.

But that is just my opinion.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 am

bad keyboard on my computer so ill respond more later. Please find me an inexpensive after market ABS.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am

I don't think anyone was talking about ABS. Yes, it is high dollar but I know of no other way to get it except OEM.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 am

Mikeb my point. You can't get ABS ithout also getting the NAV. Honda bundles them together. So if you ant ABS you have to get the NAV.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 am

Ahhh... now I understand. Its all about marketing I guess. Perhaps Honda realizes that their NAV system wouldn't sell unless it was bundled with something the customer may actually want.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 am

So, is that something that just started? The reason I ask is that I know of several individuals with GL1800's that have ABS and don't have NAV. Perhaps you can't get NAV without the ABS.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm

anything after 06 ill have nav if it has abs.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:49 am

MikeB wrote:The on board Nav can not be turned on or off unless the bike is not moving.
You can not change anything on the nav unit while under way.

This is what the mod fixes. If you pull away and have forgotten to turn your NAV on, then you must stop to do so. With this mod, you can turn it on while moving, and thereby save yourself the irritation of stopping to turn it on.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Techdude2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 pm

jinx wrote:Try this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage to you or your bike from this mod.

If you would like to be able to activate the nav while under speed try this.
Wire a 12vdc relay to the reverse relay and ground. this can be done under the seat.
The reverse relay is labeled RVS relay in the relay cluster under the seat. It is the one on the bottom row clutch side. Splice into the yellow red wire.This wire will have 12vdc on it with the ign on and the RVS button out and 0 vdc with the RVS button pressed in.

Cut the speed sense line, the Wh/Bl to the nav board in the truck. This can also be done under the seat. wire the speed sense wires to the normally open contacts on the relay.

Use a low current draw relay. the ELK-912 is a good choice and is about $9.00 on the internet.

Now when you turn the ign. on 12vdc will be applied to the relay closing the contacts.
This passes the speed sense sign to the nav board. If you press the RVS button the
12vdc is removed from the relay opening the contact for the speed sense line allowing you to activate the nav while under speed.

To test this mod put your bike on the center stand, make sure the rear wheel is off the ground,start the engine, carefully put the bike in fourth gear and press the RVS button. Now press the Enter key on the nav panel.

The wing has built in safe guards to prevent the reverse gear from engaging if
the rvs button is press while under speed.

While the RVS button is pressed in the nav will not update so if you forget to release the RVS button
after you activate the map will not change.

Hey, I'm curious why you didn't use the other wire on the reverse switch to energize the relay only when the switch was pushed and have the speed sensor wire connected to the normally closed contacts of the relay? This would only use the relay when you want to change the NAV while moving.

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Sorry but I haven't looked at this mod since it was posted. If the mod is changed as you suggest it would mean the mod
would comply with one of my normal practices. With your change it would be more likely that a failed relay or if the power to the relay is interrupted the nav would still work. Please post which wire you are talking about and I will update the mod or feel free to do so yourself.

I am open to improvements to this mod.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Techdude2000 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I was talking about the yellow/white wire that runs from the reverse switch on the handlebar to the cruise/reverse control module. This wire can be tapped into at the plugs under the right pocket.

jinx

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Very doable. The only reason for not using it over the original wire is the original mod is all under the seat and therefore
can be done quicker and easier. But for anyone willing to do it that way it would probably be a better mod. To be honest
I actually use some of the wires on C18 for other mods I've done.

I hope you don't mind the following.

Per Techdude2000 suggestion.

If you splice into to yellow/red wire on connector C18 under the right pocket for relay power than wire the speed sense wires to the normally closed contacts.

Both mods will do the same job but the above could be a better solution if there is a malfunction in the RVS circuit.

Again Techdude2000 thanks for the suggestion.

TwoBrothersBusa
Motorcycle: 2012 GoldWing / XM - Navi

Postby TwoBrothersBusa » Mon May 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Does removing the speed sense from the navi only allow the unit to be turned on (like pressing the enter key on startup) or does it also allow routing functions like "go home" to be used?

kenburkhalter
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby kenburkhalter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Just want to add feedback that, this is an AWESOME bike improvement.

Just did it and it works flawlessly.

For those attempting to do everything under the seat, note that the Nav System connector with the wht/blk wire is inside the protective boot at the back right corner of the bike (from a looking forward prospective). It is the 10 pin connector.

I have written Honda several times complaining that their approach to the Nav System design was badly flawed. The problem is that they took an "all or nothing" approach and disable ALL key press actions when in motion, rather than using a "smart" approach to allow some critical and minimal key presses.

Numerous times we have been stopped and took some action on the Map and did not hit "Back" before we got on the road again only to discover that the Map was frozen. I've told Honda that it was MUCH MORE DANGEROUS to have to pull off an expressway to recover and then re-merge versus just being able to hit BACK while you are in motion !!!!

Obviously they haven't listened to me (nor ever responded to my comment) so I am so grateful for the safety improvement I believe you have provided.

This may be one of the BEST enhancements I have ever made to a Goldwing in over a decade of riding. :D

Thanks.

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you for the feed back. Was wondering if anyone else had done it.

kenburkhalter
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby kenburkhalter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 pm

jinx -

Have the bike loaded into our toy hauler RV and getting ready to leave MI for the warmer climes of Florida. Can hardly wait to have the chance to use your mod and ride more safely because of it.

I find it hard to believe that Honda engineers were so short sighted as to lock out all key presses on the Nav system. If they had at least let the Enter and Back keys work to allow you you open the Map display while underway and you forgot to start it, or restore it's operation after a menu or cursor action taken when stopped, I believe the that would have been a much safer design approach than forcing you to pull off an expressway onto the shoulder, come to a stop, correct things and then attempt to re-merge into traffic flow.

That approach seems extremely short sighted and unsafe to me.

Thanks again !!! :D

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Would have been nice to just let the system default to the maps. That is the way my garmin works.
If I don't acknowledge the notice it defaults to the maps after about a minute.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”