Heated Grips/Seat

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Cleetorn
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 GoldWing

Heated Grips/Seat

Postby Cleetorn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Anybody ever have any problems with their heated grips or seats? Even after the dealership has worked on them several times, they still don't work - at all. Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Heated Grips/Seat

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 am

Does the dealer hand the bike back to you saying "here, it's fixed" and they still don't work?

Cleetorn

Postby Cleetorn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 am

They work for a couple of days and then they stop for no apparent reason. We're back to square one and it goes back to the shop while they try to discover the "real" reason. This process has been repeated several times.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:02 am

Unfortunately, it seems, Honda added the Comfort Package and never bothered to train any of the techs on how to trouble shoot failures!
Within a reasonable distance from you, call every Honda dealer and ask if they have anyone that knows how to work on the comfort system.
I did this for mine and was dismayed to find absolutely none, in my area.
The next step was to get the Honda service manual for my 06 and follow the procedure outlined(very well). Found my problem to be the connector where the seat plugs into the bike harness.
Knowledge of how to use a volt/ohmmeter and following the procedure step by step is key to correctly finding/correcting the failure mode.
Good Luck

Cleetorn

Postby Cleetorn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

We have 3 Honda dealerships here in "happy valley" and I have had it to all of them. One laughed me right out of the place saying that the comfort package is a piece of garbage (not the word they used, however) and that I should just buy myself a nice set of heated gloves/pants. The other looked at me rather greedily when I mentioned electrical problems. I guess I'll be investing in a shop manual in fairly short order. I can't imagine that it won't work and that's all there is to that. Maybe I'm just dreaming but there has to be some way to make it do what it's SUPPOSED to do in the first place. I used to be a GM tech so I can find my way around wiring diagrams and use an ohm meter here and there.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”