Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby dragon2000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 pm



I installed some fog lights on my 2009 GW and they work great.

After putting everything back together, I noticed the Headlight Adjuster (left panel) doesn't work. Reading the troubling shooting guide for an 2004, it mentions that it could be due to corrosion which is highly unlikely due the mileage, age of my bike. It also mentioned that it could be the Head Light Relay (under the seat) which I am going to order/replace as they are cheap.

Question I have is, has anyone else had the same issue and if so what was the cause?

Thanks,

Steve


Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby thrasherg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:03 pm

You know that it only adjust the dip (Low) beam, not the high beam? Just want to make sure you are looking at the correct light..

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie
Contact:

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby dragon2000 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 am

I understand that the adjuster is for the Low Beam only.

The reason I mentioned installation of the fog lights is that I had to remove this panel to install the fog lamp switch which shares the same panel as the low beam adjuster control unit. With everything reconnected the adjuster doesn't work and I am at a loss for what it could be.

Reviewing a 2004 GW Service manual in the trouble shooting section, it suggests that it could be the adjuster relay module located under the seat. As this is only a $5.00 part I will probably try replacing it to see if this resolves the issue.

Any other suggestions as to what it could are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

First-sounds to me like taking a few things apart again is in order to see if you left something disconnected or only partially plugged in.

thrasherg wrote:You know that it only adjust the dip (Low) beam, not the high beam? Just want to make sure you are looking at the correct light..

Please look at you headlamp very closely. You will notice the high beam bulb and the low beam bulb are both in a single housing.
Using the adjuster on the left panel or using the manual adjusters on the lamps moves both upper and lower bulbs.
The proper aiming procedure is aimming the upper beams properly-then you get whatever you get when you switch to the lower beam:
HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE
Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed under the front of the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

User avatar
goodolboy1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800
Contact:

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby goodolboy1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I have a question regarding the adjustment knob under the faring. Where it is, and can you describe what it looks ?
A photo of it if possible would be great... Thanks
2002 Goldwing 1800

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:07 pm

goodolboy1 wrote:I have a question regarding the adjustment knob under the faring. Where it is, and can you describe what it looks ?
A photo of it if possible would be great... Thanks


The original poster has a GL1800. If you are asking in relation to the motorcycle that you show as owning, the answer for a GL1800 would not be correct for you, if in fact your bike even has an adjustment for the headlamps.

Alright... I just realized that the original post was in 2011 so all else that I wrote, addressed to Dragon2000, has been erased, as eroneous blabber that does not mean anything when it is three years late. goodolboy1, I hope my answer for you was useful.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby cihilb » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:00 pm

]I would pull apart the switch panel. You may have pulled something loose on the panel while installing the light switch.
As far as the manual aiming, here is the diagram for the adjusters:


User avatar
goodolboy1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800
Contact:

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby goodolboy1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Howdy Viking, Yes my bike does have the electric headlamp adjuster, and I just found out from another member that I have manual adjustments as well. He posted a diagram showing showing the manual adjustments, so now I can adjust my lights. I do thank you for the feed back.


themainviking wrote:
goodolboy1 wrote:I have a question regarding the adjustment knob under the faring. Where it is, and can you describe what it looks ?
A photo of it if possible would be great... Thanks


The original poster has a GL1800. If you are asking in relation to the motorcycle that you show as owning, the answer for a GL1800 would not be correct for you, if in fact your bike even has an adjustment for the headlamps.

Alright... I just realized that the original post was in 2011 so all else that I wrote, addressed to Dragon2000, has been erased, as eroneous blabber that does not mean anything when it is three years late. goodolboy1, I hope my answer for you was useful.
2002 Goldwing 1800

User avatar
goodolboy1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:03 pm
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800
Contact:

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby goodolboy1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Howdy cihilb,
Thank you so very much for the info. and the diagram showing where
adjustment points are. Now I can adjust my low beams. I truly think
they are pointed to far down because at night the light is showing me
road right down in front of the bike, and not very far forward. It's
spooky to ride at night and not be able to see very far ahead. I'm also
giving some thought of going with the HID lights. I'm being told that they
give better light, and show more of the road farther ahead. Have you tried
these kinda lights? If so, what are your thoughts on them ? Thanks for your time.


cihilb wrote:]I would pull apart the switch panel. You may have pulled something loose on the panel while installing the light switch.
As far as the manual aiming, here is the diagram for the adjusters:[attachment=0]headlightaim.jpg[/attachment
2002 Goldwing 1800

User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 am

goodolboy1 wrote:Howdy cihilb,
Thank you so very much for the info. and the diagram showing where
adjustment points are. Now I can adjust my low beams. I truly think
they are pointed to far down because at night the light is showing me
road right down in front of the bike, and not very far forward. It's
spooky to ride at night and not be able to see very far ahead. I'm also
giving some thought of going with the HID lights. I'm being told that they
give better light, and show more of the road farther ahead. Have you tried
these kinda lights? If so, what are your thoughts on them ? Thanks for your time.


cihilb wrote:]I would pull apart the switch panel. You may have pulled something loose on the panel while installing the light switch.
As far as the manual aiming, here is the diagram for the adjusters:[attachment=0]headlightaim.jpg[/attachment

Gonna try this one more time! Proper aim for the headlights is explained in my post above. Legal aim is to aim the high beams, you take what you get on the low beams as they are in the same housing as the high beams.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Head Light Adjuster - Left Panel - Not Working

Postby cihilb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Tfdeputydog, I haven't tried the HID's. I have no problem with my current setup, stock headlights and Honda OEM LED running lights.
One thing to remember, the original headlights will lose brightness as they age. Maybe r\try a new set of OEM lights.




Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media [Bot] and 3 guests