Accessory hook up in fuse box

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
RoadDawg
Motorcycle: 2012 GoldWing Air Bag

Accessory hook up in fuse box

Postby RoadDawg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Another dumb question but what the heck....

I have a 2009 Wing. In the fuse box there are two "accessory hook up bolts" top left. I currently have a heated vest hooked directly to the + and - battery terminals which is likely not the best thing to do although the vest has an in line fuse at the on/off switch.

Would it be best to hook this up to the ACC terminals? Where do I hook the + and where do I hook the -. There are two posts so I assume one wire goes to one post and the other is grounded on the bike? Someone told me to hook one wire to one post and one to the other but I am not 100% sure this is correct?? Me and electrical stuff don't get along too well :o :o :o

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by RoadDawg on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Accessory hook up in fuse box

Postby themainviking » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm

**Post on electrical theory removed by poster**

See post below for knowledge rather than the theory that I had posted.

V
Last edited by themainviking on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Bouvier1
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl 1800A

Postby Bouvier1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:27 am

The two terminals are a positive and negative and are there for that purpose. It stops the terminals on your battery being clogged with added wires etc. thus preventing shorting accidents when tinkering.

RoadDawg

Postby RoadDawg » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for the clarification folks....extremely helpful as always.

cdh
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 ABS/NAVI

Postby cdh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 pm

top screw is + (red wire) second screw is (-) (black wire)
If you do more accessories, and/or additional Gerbings, obtain grounding block and fuse block from electricalconnection.com Very inexpensive, good instructions and support.

cdh
2007 blue NAVI/ABS
WAGS pooch trailer
56,625 miles

RoadDawg

Postby RoadDawg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 am

Great info folks...sorted it out. It was really hard to see, but the + is stamped on the black plastic fuse box casing, right side, across from the screw and the same for the -. As mentioned in the post above, the + is the top one.....I took a permanent red Sharpie and colored the screw to avoid any mix up in future. Screws are somewhat tight so they may have a thread lock of sorts on them, but once you break the bead, they come off easily.

wingfart
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Postby wingfart » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Note that the accessory terminals are fused (I'm guessing here) at 5 amps which is not a lot of power. To get more power you need to hook directly to the battery with an inline fuse, or add a fuseblock which will provide separate fused connection terminals.

RoadDawg

Postby RoadDawg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 am

wingfart wrote:Note that the accessory terminals are fused (I'm guessing here) at 5 amps which is not a lot of power. To get more power you need to hook directly to the battery with an inline fuse, or add a fuseblock which will provide separate fused connection terminals.

You are absolutely correct...found this out after the fact. Changed the fused heated vest hook up back to the battery as I have had in the past. What really was odd, was when I had plugged in my trickle charger with the key turned off the info display in the plastic window in the dash lit up? Somewhat of an indicator that I had done the wrong thing here so just returned to the basics.....my bad! :shock:

cdh
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 ABS/NAVI

Postby cdh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Just my opinion, don't hook it directly to the battery, even tho the heated vest has it's own fuse. Get an auxiliary power block from electricalconnection.com Not expensive, and keeps it off the battery terminal directly. I have mine hooked into 6 circuits. I use the the circuits as follows:
fog lights
auxiliary "baja" lights
trailer circuit (isolated)
my Gerbings
my Wife's Gerbings
LED lighting (saddle bags, trunk, fairing, etc.)
ride safe.

skychs
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby skychs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 am

I added a Centech AP-1 fuse block (with a relay) to my GL1800 2008. I connected the red POS wire to the POS battery terminal. I connected the black NEG wire to the NEG battery terminal. I connected the orange relay wire to the POS ACC Terminal that you guys are talking about in the fuse box on the left side of the bike. By doing that the fuse block is only "alive" when the ignition is in the ON or ACC position. I put the fuse block in the hidden CD compartment in the top case. It was very easy to drill a hole in the back of the wall in the CD compartment and run the wires through the top case to the battery and fuse box. In the fuse block I added two separate Gerbing outlets and one 3 socket cigarette type outlet for charging basics like an iPhone.

apopj@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing

Postby apopj@yahoo.com » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I use the assy terminal for the GPS mounted on the meter cover. I ran cord directly to the battery with an SAE fitting on end. This lets me plug my vests (mine and boss), or my battery tender, or the Slime air pump, or my little tent light. Its fused, have been doing it this way on my 'wings and Harley's for 25 years and have never had any sort of problem other than cleaning the terminals once inna while. This is the only thing I have attached to the terminals, but as you can see covers all of my needed bases.
Jeff

frankj64155
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby frankj64155 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 am

Has anyone installed the Gerbings Panel mount port? And if so, where did you locate it for the driver? Thanks.

Frank & Sharon Jackson

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”